Don't use Q-Tips in your ears

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
On a recent call with Rolling Strong a nurse was talking about how much damage a Q-Tip or any object pushed into the ear can cause.

I have one ear canal that itches and she suggested a 1:1 ratio of hydrogen peroxide & alcohol mixture used twice a day or go see a doctor.

I will do about anything to keep from going to see a doctor so I purchased a small plastic bottle to mix the mixture and I tilted my head and poured this in. I thought I had an ear full of Rice Krispies.

The relief was immediate and since then I have added this bottle to my shower kit and after I finish showering I wash both ears out. I will never use a Q-Tip again in my ears - only for cleaning the truck.

While I was researching this subject I found this article on Harden Health and this paragraph really caught my attention:

A technique that often should be avoided is the use of cotton swabs, or Q-tips. This commonly will just push the wax deeper in the ear canal, making the problem worse. Additionally, there is a risk of injury to the ear canal or ear drum, which may cause permanent hearing loss

For more on that article here is the link:
http://www.hmh.net/HMHWebsite/Service.aspx?PageID=168

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
On a recent call with Rolling Strong a nurse was talking about how much damage a Q-Tip or any object pushed into the ear can cause.

I have one ear canal that itches and she suggested a 1:1 ratio of hydrogen peroxide & alcohol mixture used twice a day or go see a doctor.

I will do about anything to keep from going to see a doctor so I purchased a small plastic bottle to mix the mixture and I tilted my head and poured this in. I thought I had an ear full of Rice Krispies.

The relief was immediate and since then I have added this bottle to my shower kit and after I finish showering I wash both ears out. I will never use a Q-Tip again in my ears - only for cleaning the truck.

While I was researching this subject I found this article on Harden Health and this paragraph really caught my attention:

A technique that often should be avoided is the use of cotton swabs, or Q-tips. This commonly will just push the wax deeper in the ear canal, making the problem worse. Additionally, there is a risk of injury to the ear canal or ear drum, which may cause permanent hearing loss

For more on that article here is the link:
http://www.hmh.net/HMHWebsite/Service.aspx?PageID=168

I also use this method and yes, it does sound like snap crackle and pop in ones ears....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had this done as a child....but she used straight up peroxide used an eyedropper...and I am here to tell it....the bubbling tickles! :p

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've never used Q-Tips, but I do everything else wrong, wrong, wrong. I use my little fingertip for the easy to reach stuff, and for the hard to get at stuff I use long semi-pointed objects that are tailor made for punching eardrums, like the business end of a key, the lever arm of fingernail clippers, the pointy clip of a Bic pen cap.
6a00d834515ae969e201a3fcd1256f970b-500wi

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've never used Q-Tips, but I do everything else wrong, wrong, wrong. I use my little fingertip for the easy to reach stuff, and for the hard to get at stuff I use long semi-pointed objects that are tailor made for punching eardrums, like the business end of a key, the lever arm of fingernail clippers, the pointy clip of a Bic pen cap.
6a00d834515ae969e201a3fcd1256f970b-500wi

I've used my wife's bobby pins....traps the wax well.....LOL

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've used my wife's bobby pins....traps the wax well.....LOL

I thought when you were home...Juju just tied a string to a cotton ball ...and stuck one end of string in one ear and pulled it through to other side...:p

Last edited: