Does Anybody Know This Truck?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
On our way to Toronto in the middle of the night last week, we spotted this truck at a Fifth Wheel truck stop. If the drivers were inside, they were asleep so we did not bother them. It would have been fun to visit about the truck. Does anyone know who built this truck and how it is working out for the owner?

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Haven't seen that one before, but with that single axle back there, and that huge sleeper, could they haul more than a postage stamp? The truck we were in had a single axle, and a 16 ft box and we were pushing it hauling a little more than 5000 lbs.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've never seen it before but would like to see an engineering drawing of it. It appears to be 12' sleeper and 18' cargo box on an Acterra. I can't imagine what the turning radius is like with that wheelbase. I imagine it gives a little better ride. I can't tell if that is just aerodynamics under the box or actual storage boxes. It's certainly a truck to watch for.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Now there is a long wheelbase. I as well would be suprised if it could haul anything over 5,000 lbs.
It that a Bentz sleeper? Kinda hard to tell? The box looks like a AB box.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We only had a minute at the truck stop. I wish I would have taken a closer look at the truck. It was very dirty and the digital camera gathered in a lot of light for this nighttime photo, at the expense of image quality. Here is a closer look at the cab and sleeper.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
You know, looking at that truck from several angles, it seems that the fram rails might be bowed.

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
> You know, looking at that truck from several angles, it
>seems that the fram rails might be bowed.

I was thinking that same thing, looks like the hood is trying to take the truck airborne!

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I've seen a trk like it leased to panther,that one looks newer and it's been a couple years so maybe they upgraded [a scary thought] he or she must like it or they got the idea from someone else who does.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Looking at the truck in person, it appeared to me also that the frame sagged. But it could also be that the sleeper air bags were deflated. As I said, I did not get the chance to talk to the driver. I did not want to start snooping around the truck to see if it had frame liners or if the air bags were inflated. From marks (not dents) on both, it did appear that the body and sleeper had come in contact with each other. Even at the bottom, the clearance between the sleeper and body seems smaller than you see on many straight trucks.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Here is a shot from far away. Distracting street lighting has been removed from the photo.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It definitely appears to sag in the middle. I didn't mention it before thinking it was my astigmatism messing with me. I doubt it's illegal length. With the Acterra chassis you can have 30' for sleeper/box. The common one is the 96" with 22' box. That would be equivalent to 12' with 18' box so I bet it just makes it for legal. I still can't imagine driving it with that 32' or so wheelbase though.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Wonder what it's empty weight is and if the frame is warped. It might not be legal..

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
This reminds me of a truck we did a transfer with. A solo driver in the NE. This is considered a C Unit and has the nicest interior of any truck we have ever been inside of including all of the new ones! Home Away from Home

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
This truck is currently sitting in Michigan. Around noon today i seen it sitting at 12 mile and Van :censoredsign:. Kinda wierd seeing it after seeing it on here. I was going to stop and see if anyone was home but was too busy running around.