Dodge Sprinter Steering concerns.

danddteam

Seasoned Expediter
I own a 2005 Dodge Sprinter. About two months ago I began to have problems with the steering. There is a chattering response when I turn the wheel in the non moving position and also when I am in slow motion turning the wheel trying to park. At other times there seems to be a hard spot in certain positions as if there is no power steering. I check the PS fluid frequently but it is okay. I have a couple of other drivers mention the same thing. None of us have gotten an answer or solution. Has anyone else experienced this situation? Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions? Thanks.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK lets try this again.. It dissapeared now it is back.

The sprinter uses struts for the front end and may be a bad strut. so I would ask how many miles on the truck? new tires lately? any front end work done (brakes etc..)?

MDB1

Expert Expediter
There is a great Sprinter Van forum on Yahoo where you might get some good answers concerning your problem.

Go here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sprintervan/

If you are not already a member of Yahoo Groups it is very easy to join and then you can post your inquiry there. There are a couple of guys who post there regularly who are extremely knowledgeable and have access to some resources that the average owner doesn't have.

Good luck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Was there a final outcome on your repair? Might help some other Sprinter drivers.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

vif_corp

Seasoned Expediter
There is Problem on the Steering rack on the spriters
I have 06 3500 and the steering give up on 66k miles almost kil myself, so my suggestion check it is it an strud or steering rack/box it is like $150to$3500 if you buy used from car-parts.com
and chage it mine it makes right turn by itself it is very hard to hold the wheel so needed to change.

guido4475

Not a Member
I own a 2005 Dodge Sprinter. About two months ago I began to have problems with the steering. There is a chattering response when I turn the wheel in the non moving position and also when I am in slow motion turning the wheel trying to park. At other times there seems to be a hard spot in certain positions as if there is no power steering. I check the PS fluid frequently but it is okay. I have a couple of other drivers mention the same thing. None of us have gotten an answer or solution. Has anyone else experienced this situation? Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions? Thanks.

I am thinking the bearing plate may be going bad? It's a plate that the strut assembly rides on between itself and the shock tower, tat allows everything to turn as you turn the steering wheel.This is what I am thinking, if it has this type of setup.A Cadillac that I used to have did that and that is what it was.