Dodge Promaster

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My cousin and I went to the auto show yesterday. They had one Promaster. It was set up as some sort of work truck. It had a winch that would swing out the back and a rack for I presume either freon or propane tanks along with lots of cabinets/shelving etc. so it wasn't too clear how spacious it would be. I am 5'9" and had several inches clearance standing in the back. I believe it was the middle length as it would have certainly held 2 skids but I don't think it would have held 3. I didn't think to take a tape measure along. It may not be quite as tall as a Sprinter but it's plenty tall for standing up unless you're in the NBA.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My cousin and I went to the auto show yesterday. They had one Promaster. It was set up as some sort of work truck. It had a winch that would swing out the back and a rack for I presume either freon or propane tanks along with lots of cabinets/shelving etc. so it wasn't too clear how spacious it would be. I am 5'9" and had several inches clearance standing in the back. I believe it was the middle length as it would have certainly held 2 skids but I don't think it would have held 3. I didn't think to take a tape measure along. It may not be quite as tall as a Sprinter but it's plenty tall for standing up unless you're in the NBA.

I'm 6'4" and yet I don't reach the top. And yes, the middle length is 12 ft, so it takes 3 pallets. For $4000 more you can get the 13.5 ft length version. Speaking about the fuel consumption, it barely gives me 17 mpg, even if the sticker says 25 mpg. Anyway, this vehicle it's a mistake and I surely don't recommend it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note III

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I'm 6'4" and yet I don't reach the top. And yes, the middle length is 12 ft, so it takes 3 pallets. For $4000 more you can get the 13.5 ft length version. Speaking about the fuel consumption, it barely gives me 17 mpg, even if the sticker says 25 mpg. Anyway, this vehicle it's a mistake and I surely don't recommend it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note III

Heard the same thing on the milage from a Buddy @ bolt who has one...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Speaking about the fuel consumption, it barely gives me 17 mpg, even if the sticker says 25 mpg.

At what average speed do you get 17 mpg? At 70 mpg average, 17 would be good. I would expect 18 MPG @ 62-63 average mph... which is the speed I drive at.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I thought trucks & vans didn't have any MPG quoted on their stickers??? I guess I'll find out soon enough, because my new 159" wheelbase extended Promaster arrived at the dealer Saturday... picking it up this Friday... checking the mpg with the first tank!

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I saw a YouTube video of a guy in one. He's averaged 16.4 mpg his first 8k miles. He's out west and was driving 83 mph. They just don't have enough motor for high speeds.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I thought trucks & vans didn't have any MPG quoted on their stickers??? I guess I'll find out soon enough, because my new 159" wheelbase extended Promaster arrived at the dealer Saturday... picking it up this Friday... checking the mpg with the first tank!

Saw one 2 days ago near Steubenville OH. I was driving behind it, a low roof version. I noticed there was a cross bar that ran across the rear axle, anti-sway? seem a bit too low. It might catch something on the road? But I was sitting in a van and looking down at it, clearance might be ok, I could be wrong.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Saw one 2 days ago near Steubenville OH. I was driving behind it, a low roof version. I noticed there was a cross bar that ran across the rear axle, anti-sway? seem a bit too low. It might catch something on the road? But I was sitting in a van and looking down at it, clearance might be ok, I could be wrong.

That's the rear beam axle. They're fwd.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It does look a little low to the ground when your behind someone. I had the same vantage point as you one day last week. Seems like someone posted its only nine inches if clearance. I guess that's caused by the lower cargo deck design.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The new 2014 Sprinter was also lowered by 30mm...to improve MPG...lots of drag if you are too high....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Seems like someone posted its only nine inches if clearance.
My Chevy is at 8'' from the lowest point on the differential housing to the ground. The Promaster may appear to have a low clearance being it has a solid, straight beam rear axle.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I'm baffled why you dislike the Promaster so much???