Dodge Promaster

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have to say that FWD Cargo Van, regarding ease of maintenance and repairs, can be frustrating and costly. Looking at the Promaster engine layout, there's hardly any space to work on.

guido4475

Not a Member
I've starting to see them on the road being used by contractors. Hopefully I'll run into one soon at a fuel stop and find out how they like driving them and ask about fuel milage.

Meanwhile Ford is dragging their feet....Being a Ford person, I am greatly disappointed..I just hope what they come out with is worth the wait.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Our 3500 159" extended has just been built. We hope it's here by February. We expect 18 MPG on average with the gas engine.

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Checked one out in SC. Really impressed by the cargo area layout. Dealer stated this; "don't believe all the numbers, parts department is getting 17-18 solid MPG, which includes some mountain terrain of Carolina" Same as saying, their not getting bloated estimates, it's real mileage. Some of those Carolina people will still...tell it to ya straight.

As stated in another thread, personally would not spend the 4 grand for the 160 model. The 146 will hold 3 skids easily, with the back axle and wheel wells being right inside the door. One I looked at had the upgrade "chrome front end" which left the black still wrapping around the nose? An all white front would improve the cosmetics a ton IMV.

Last edited:

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
Scott, will do. I got the 2 seat bench for passengers. Looks more comfy than my air mattress for the back.

Johnp3337

Rookie Expediter
So we (OTR Conversions Gadsden AL)
Upfitted a Pro Master. We had the van 2 weeks, full Expedite Upfit. As a former expediter myself, I would've been happy with the van as an OTR unit.
Great handling, better turn radius. It's front wheel drive with strong top end.
I think it the van is a ford cargo van essentially with high roof. Due to it being a gas burner. I think for a solo and 60-80k per year it makes sense.
I think a strong team burns it up sooner obviously. I'm not a fan of a unit with more than 250k when it comes to expedite vans (sprinters , cv's , etc)
Too much heavy maintenance after 250.
If you can do a 3 or 4 year term finance at a low interest rate , can make a good RPM and stay under 80k a year I say go for it. Be ready to sell/trade at the end of the finance term. The standard maintenance will be much cheaper than Mb sprinter so your gonna save big there and gas as we all know is a minimum .50 cpg cheaper so there's the biggest savings. Talk about increasing profit.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Not sure if I should be I have a pic of the promaster in its colors. Has a low pro QC on it. They're growing on me but I'm not sure about em. Till I'm proven wrong I'm still a sprinter fan

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmmm, saw another expedite one. Looked more odd then normal, then I realized it did not have a raised roof. Not sure why you would go this route and get a flat top? Kind of defeats the whole like a sprinter thing to me.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmmm, saw another expedite one. Looked more odd then normal, then I realized it did not have a raised roof. Not sure why you would go this route and get a flat top? Kind of defeats the whole like a sprinter thing to me.

maybe he just wanted a cargo van?....his MPG should be better...

westmicher

Veteran Expediter

How many loads do you REALLY get over 66" high? How much less would you REALLY run if only 66" high? VERY FEW!!!