Do you need more freight?

dispatchn1

Seasoned Expediter
if you now have or plan on getting your own authority here is a list of people and the companies they work for that you need to network with to get expedited freight.

A&L Global Enterprises (Round Lake, IL) Arthur Kuceba
Active Aero (Belleville, MI) Greg Netter
Air America Logistics (Windsor, ON) Jeff Robinson
All Around Couriers (Richmond, VA) Ray Liles
ASAP Express (Romulus, MI) Rob Bonello, Mike Horwith
ASAP Logistics (Romulus, MI) Aaron Fiser
Barrett Directline Delivery Services (Bentonville, AR) Scott Fulkerson
Bolt Express (Toledo, OH) Dave Large
C&M Transportation (Painesville, OH) Cal Pettrey, Mike Pettrey
Camrett Logistics (Wytheville, VA) Beverly Lee
Cargo Solutions, LLC (Lexington, SC) Damon Schildknecht,Eddie Gooding
Clearwater Logistics (South Bend, IN) Mark McLochlin, Terry Kelly
D. Dent & Associates (Windsor, ON) Debbie Price
Diamond Delivery Service (Fort Wayne, IN) Pat Carmody, Chris Fisher
Dynamex (Cambridge, ON) Tim Turner, Jonathan Knowles
Epes Express Services (Greensboro, NC) David Spence
Fernley & Fernley (Philadelphia, PA) Bill Norton
FF Express (Ancaster, ON) Jim Fletcher
Fitzharris Transportation (Indianapolis, IN) Missie Brown
FMT Inc. (Elk Grove Village, IL) Franco Mancinelli
Frate Inc. (Hebron, KY) Wes Wesley
GPSNet Technologies Inc. (Windsor, ON) Stuart Sutton, Shahbaz Khan
JF Global Logistics (Elk Grove Village, IL) Frank Kinama
Jons Contract Freight (Plymouth, WI) Jon Bartelt
Journey Transportation (Fort Jennings, OH) Jim Spencer
Jump Logistics (Cambridge, ON) Jennifer Hartman
Jung Express (Milwaukee, WI) Tim Jung, Mike Sanders
Laser Expedite (Mississauga, ON) Heidi Wilson, Ray Fontaine
LB Transportation Group (Saginaw, MI) Dave Gerber, Tracy Zielinski
Line Drive Transportation (Windsor, ON) Sean Grossett, Sharisse Guyton
Miller Expedite (Franklin, IN) Cliff Gjertson
Nations Express (Charlotte, NC) Bill Frazier , Terry Jones
NLM - National Logistics Management (Detroit, MI) Chuck King
Pinsky and Sandalis - Roy Pinksy
PJ Smith Delivery (Canton, OH) Art Smith
Premier Expedited Freight (Mineral Ridge, OH) Ronald Herman
PT Express (Elizabeth, NJ) Scott Somsel
Rapid Service Inc. (Greer, SC) Rollie Knoke, Sheila Knoke
Rush Expediting (Dayton, OH) Murray Freeman
Slipstream Expedited Services (Elk Grove Village, IL) David Wilsa, Simons Addo
Superior Express (Milwaukee, WI) Tom Nieman, Chris Herro
Superior Global Logistics (Troy, MI) Larry Carpenter, Edward T. Beres
Tango Expedite and Logistics (Toronto, ON) Nick Balasingam
Taylor Made Express (Milwaukee, WI) Chip Miller, April Castro
The Expediting Company (Vandalia, OH) Terry Brady
The Outbound Group (Romulus, MI) Karl Randolph, Paul Korbal, Pawel Poncza
Transport Insurance Agency (Sylvania, OH) Andrew Gallegos, Rick Bonesteel
Transport Trends (Romulus, MI) Mark Dixon
Try Hours (Maumee, OH) Tim Wojkiewicz, Nicole Wojkiewicz
Tyme-it Transportation (Louisville, KY) Bill Lavier
Universal Traffic (Grand Rapids, MI) Steve Norman , Lamar Smith, Mary Buck
US Expediting (Vandalia, OH) Michelle Dean, Lei Turben
Walter McDougall International (Lancaster, ON) Tom Bellazzi, Bonnie Fraser
Wikel Logistics (Lorain, OH) Jeff Wikel
Zoomers (Grand Rapids, MI) Sherry Wilson

there are hunderds more. not one of these people will give you freight everyday but you can get freight everyday from one of them
you just have to be informed.

the freight is always expedite and depending on your unit size
cargo vans 1.00-1.30
straight 1.50-2.00
semi 2.00-3.00
plus fuel surcharges.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Advertising should be done in the classifieds. Your list is basically from GPS411.
It is more suited to companies, rather than a one truck operation.
If someone wanted to go down this path, it would be easier to obtain a membership and go online and look at the loads yourself. I would see little value in paying someone a percent to do something that is free once you are a member.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

dispatchn1

Seasoned Expediter
You are correct the list is some of the members gps but there are many others that are not part like artisan containers and several others and dont forget it cost over a hundered bucks a month to subscribe to just gps. not to mention others.

like I said information is free not everyone wants to sit and make phone calls all day and drive to.I want everyone to be free and I think you pay panther more than $3 for every hundred they make you do you not? In fact I know even if you find your own loads your giving up 15% are you not.

gps is a perfect platform even for 1 truck operations because as im sure you know dave there are many ways to make money on gps.but gps is just the tip its all about networking and unlike you I prefer not to work for a company that is 100 million plus in debt yet the guy takes million dollar plus bonus per year for himself and only offers pennys to you to empty move.and what makes panther so attrative dave?

you are paying for everything with them and I decided back in 98 if I am paying for everything then I want everthing and I dont want a company that tells me there is only good money if I run team.I would rather decide for myself if I can do 1000 mile runs and I would rather turn my log books into myself and I would rather use a cell phone than pay a weekly fee for a company to track me.

panthers insurance sucks I had a driver involved in an accident with a truck leased to panther and offered to settle that week for 5k just so I could get the truck repaired and rolling instead they took 2 months to pay the claim.they had to send out an adjuster and all that crap when it was said and done they paid me 13k and then had the nerve to cancel the lease on that truck because it was out of service for 2 months.it was there insurance that I had to pay for that took 2 months.once I got the check the truck was done in 2 days

life is about choices.Ive made good ones and bad ones it was a bad one to stick with them for 2 1/2 years. my best year with them I grossed around 145,000.I do that with one truck now in 8 months.and I dont run no team all a team does is burn out a truck twice as fast for maybe 20% more.the repairs come around twice as fast.once I hired a driver off of panthers list of available drivers thinking boy now thats nice that they take the time to accept aps from people who dont even own a truck.after he got in my truck panther was also kind enough to give him over 2k in advances in a week.only problem with that is it comes out of the check that was my runs that paid same week and his runs didnt enven total 2k when I questioned rick about it he says well what am i supposed to do they got our freight on the truck and it has to be deliverd.I showed them what they was supposed to do I went and got my truck and left him there.but panther was kind enough to get him a bus ticket home and deduct it from my check when the guy just ripped me off 2k.So you tell me how life is better with the fat cat.life is better when your in complete control of your own trucks not letting telemarketers decide.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am not sure what time period you were there, but my relationship has been much different. That would include accidents. We had a truck back into one of our vehicles, and Panther and Greatwest did a great job in handling the claim and paying on time. Including lost wages and all costs.
Secondly, with regards to freight locating, you are throwing a partial picture out there. Insurance,,additional licenses, authority, certification, permits are all costs relevant if you go the solo route. Subtract those additional costs and you are at the same numbers. We ran under our authority for years, so we have some experience doing this. Collections, court costs, and recovery of money is another. Don't try to sell me on the fact that everyone pays on time. Been there, done that.
A 15 percent fee is very reasonable.
Bottom line, between collections, insurance, and other costs, you are at essentially the same numbers.
You possibly might gross more, but that is much different than what you are left with.
I also wouldn't want to blind some by the fact that loads that are thrown out by other expediters are runs that have been through there system and no one wants or can't be covered. On occassion a decent one comes up, but I wouldn't rely on it as my bread and butter.

I would advise one considering this path to invest in GPS411 for a month, and review the available freight. Then research the exact numbers including insurance, permits, certification, bond, brokers license, Canadian authority, contract carrier licence, common carrier license, DOT compliance audits and legal fees.....
I could go on...but you get the picture.
This is why it is more company oriented than a big bang for a single operator.
If it is your cup of tea at that point, by all means jump in.
My preference is that if one jumps in with a single new truck, please order red.
My favorite color.
Lastly,
If you are consistently doing 1000 mile expedite runs as a solo, I hope it is to a very remote area with no other drivers.

Oh, one more item. With regards to advances, you as the owner set the percentage and can track activity via the internet. They can only advance what you approve. Might have been different years ago?

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

dispatchn1

Seasoned Expediter
dave
in all fairness the insurance company when I was at panther was cna the time frame was 97-99 at that time panther was deducting $125 a week per unit for insurance plus qc. so when this accident took place panther decided it was fair practice to keep charging me the fees for the straight out of my cargo van settlements and I didnt say a word about it for the 2 months but when I called to put the straight back in service I get a letter saying the contract on the straight was canceled for being out of service to long.why didnt they just do it the second or third week instead of 8 I guess they just didnt care cause they was getting the money out of my cargo van.

back then they was on a 21 day pay cycle so it was 30 before I got my checks and I swear on weeks that I had what I would say was a fair size settlement the dispatch seemed to get awful free with my money on any of the drivers that was contracted off the available driver list I even had one driver that was dated a dispatcher there
and he didnt tell and I had no idea of that when I was put in touch with him.he turned out to be ok but when there relationship ended so did his freight.

and as far as advertisements I am not trying to build a fleet here I no longer have desires to own a multi-unit company as my ad "as you say" stated if you now have or intend to get your authority.
not do you want to make me rich

and as i said information is free.I am not targeting anyone who does not already know the cost of insurance because I am trying to get to the ones that are 1-10 truck operations and give them free advice because every person I help is one less victim to fall prey of a company selling something they dont own and thats you or any truck owner leased to them.I am saying I have read post from other members about wanting info on working for more than one company at a time.many do not think when they go out and buy a 100k truck that you can spend half that and take the extra money that you are going to pay panther and others in insurance over a period of 6 months invest it in yourself after all you are your most important asset.

in your post you stated that the 15% you pay panther you feel is fair.

explain to me why you feel it is fair.when you pay for your truck,plates,fuel tax,insurance and the time and money it takes to book a load for that unit with the cost of fuel and all these other expences why is giving up 15% of something you did on your own fair when the only thing you didnt pay was the $300.00 filing fee for the mc number that anybody can have in 15 days with a valid credit card and an internet connection

when I say information is free but if you want someone to do it all for you it would cost 3% on just the loads I get for you thats unfair.

its unfair when I take the time and effort to search and book loads that only pay $1,000 + dollars to you then $30 is to much to pay because your leased to panther and pay all these fees your talking about and you have to pay them $150 but your bottom line is better.if I book you 3 loads a month there is the insurance payments
how much do I profit for these same loads less than $90.and lets not forget the qc fees I save you what at least $100 a month there.

now lets talk about collecting it is true some customers like dana corp think its good practice to take 60+ days to mail you a check
and its unreal but some think they dont need to pay you at all
and there are alot of options to deal with this kind of conduct.
its called risk management.do your research alot of your customers will have quick pay programs from 1% to 7% some will give you 50-50 pay.some will even prepay you just have to open your mouth and ask whats available before you accept and if its not what you want pass on it.
even a new start-up company that the owner has a crappy credit score wont have to pay more than 7% to get his freight bills purchased next day with payment being made via com-check,t-check,tch or some other form of electronic transfer.

now to recap you think 15% is fair to keep fat cats numbers rolling
and although you would save the cost of insurance payments by running 3 loads per month with my system and never have to give up more than 10% of a load thats going to pay at least 10% more per mile
and you get paid next day but you think your bottom line will be better when that 10% is 100% deductable on my system and its just money you didnt make the old fashion way.

shoot dave what if I could show you my 1099s just for the last quarterof 2005 with just one truck one driver and the total was say 65k over a 3 month period and over that same period my expences everthing was less than 25k even with fuel,100% of the purchase price of the truck i used to do it,insurance,plates,fuel tax,permits,cell phone,internet,and repairs to my class 8 truck that
still comes out to a pretty good income in my book maybe not rich but decent for the time and money invested.

send me your address and I will send it to ya.I respect the fact you have been in trucking so long and you are devoted to panther its just since I read ateams post on panthers ipo I have set out to free as many owners as I can.they are the ones trying to get something for nothing.this week I will be involved in the start up of 3 different carriers within 3 weeks I will name those carriers on your open forum give them 2 more weeks after that day and ask if they made the right choice leaving panther or who ever else they was running for let them decide dave be a true moderator not a molderator
I want you to dave. and ask yourself do you know more now than you did then?did you truely explore every option to make it work?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Dispatchn1... I agree with your philosophy. However, you forgot to mention the biggest cost... load insurance. $10,000/year is something to consider. As far as I'm concerned, you're preaching to the choir. However, a company like C&M has many more connections, and can keep me loaded more than I can do by myself. Also, it takes a lot of time to constantly look for loads. That alone made me want a dispatcher. By the time I'd finally find a run in late afternoon, I was too tired to run it. And, that's with family watching for me too. The $1.25+fsc/lm I get from C&M is respectable. I'm guessing they're probably taking .35/mi for themselves. That's fair to me.

I believe Dave is correct in Panther's 15% fee being fair. They do cover the cost of load insurance. Also, if Panther's fee was 3%, how many ppl do you think would ever take a Panther load? The going rate to put your truck under someone else's authority is 10-20%. And that goes with no support from them. You find the loads, they take care of the DOT inspections. For the most part, you're just paying for load insurance.

I tried mentioning independant status before. Ppl aren't interested. They are too complacent having a big brother company find the loads for them. I can't really blame them. A company can usually bring more stability than running alone. You also have to remember, all the loads you see on gps, hundreds of companies and independants alike also see them. So talk about your competition! When there's a drought in expediting, the independants are hit first and hit hardest. You'll get a load to Laredo at times when Laredo is in a drought, and you'll find loads back out taken for .75/mi. That isn't expediting... it's express ltl.

I think there will come a time when I will get my own authority. So many more ducks need to be in a row than just having my own truck and my own computer. I need to research, build a business relationship with a few companies, and have more resources than just gps and one or two companies email me loads. It takes some brains to be successful in this, but it also takes money. It also takes savvy. It also takes determination and desire. Personally, there aren't too many expediters who have all those qualities. Only a couple from here who I could see handle it, and only two who have their own authority (from what I know of the ppl at EO). As Colonel Foster once told me, this is not for the masses at large. As I've found out, he's right. Not because it'll bring more competition, as he said, but because most are happy making $1.20+fsc/lm and have someone else deal with the bs. Inside info is best kept inside, in this case. The ones who are serious about getting into independence will find their own way there.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The original premise of your first post was to solicit drivers and obtain freight for them with a fee.
I would read THawks post closely. I think it is very accurate.
===========================
You said;
its unfair when I take the time and effort to search and book loads that only pay $1,000 + dollars to you then $30 is to much to pay because your leased to panther and pay all these fees your talking about and you have to pay them $150 but your bottom line is better.if I book you 3 loads a month there is the insurance payments
how much do I profit for these same loads less than $90.and lets not forget the qc fees I save you what at least $100 a month there
=========================================================
On 3 loads of 1,000 miles you charge $90.00
Who is booking the rest?
There aren't that many 1,000 mile loads that aren't carrier assigned to begin with on GPS411
NLM uses a bid and point system.
I think you are trying to sell the wrong person.
On a 16,000 mile month you would charge 480
At a 12,000 mile month average, you would make 4,000 a truck.
How is your profit any different than the one they make?
Yours might be less, but requires alot more costs,management, and risks.
Who is paying DH,EM,Det.and at what surcharge that isn't contracted?
Fleet insurance is considerably cheaper than what you would pay running under your own authority.
Fleet discounts on tires,OC insurance, and fuel also has a value.
I'm not a fan of QC charges but they are a requirement for many accounts that you couldn't offer.
You likely can't offer any hazmat or Canadian loads as many of those are through GPS and NLM.
If someone thinks they will start out with $300.00 and be in business is sadly mistaken. There is alot more to it than that.
There is a whole list of items and costs that you fail to mention, and I only highlighted a few that you failed to address.
What happens in a DOT audit? Who pays for that?
What about drug testing audits? Who pays for that?
Again, to do it LEGALLY, you are missing a ton of items and costs.

Again, I think it could be a viable option for a fleet of trucks, but not one.
I have no interest in molding someone either way as long as they have a realistic expectation as to what is involved.
Many have tried, but only a very small number have achieved continued success going down this path.
Many past posts have depicted the horrors folks encountered when going down this path as a solo operator.
I do however commend you for your success.

Keep in mind that if it was as easy as you describe, everyone would be doing it. As long as expediting has been around, it would be a safe bet to think you aren't the first with what you may consider a novel approach.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Thawk wrote

You also have to remember, all the loads you see on gps, hundreds of companies and independants alike also see them. So talk about your competition! When there's a drought in expediting, the independants are hit first and hit hardest. You'll get a load to Laredo at times when Laredo is in a drought, and you'll find loads back out taken for .75/mi. That isn't expediting... it's express ltl.
=================================================
It is amazing how that type of information is left out. He is also forgetting alot of the larger companies have their own accounts that he would have no access. Laredo area is a perfect example.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

targuard86

Expert Expediter
for 2 years my partner and I had a very successful business operating under our own authority. We were a member of GPS and TEANA and went to the meetings and made the contacts with all the right people. We had a gross income that made it look like we were getting rich. In reality we were making money but also working way too hard to make sure the net was there. We now have most of our trucks leased to either FedEx, Landstar, Eagle Global or a small company out of SC and our net is right where it was before....with alot less work. ( I know where every penny of our money goes and I assure you, we're better off now than then.)

My deadhead is much lower
my insurance is about 40% of what it was for more coverage
my fuel is cheeper with the large fleet discounts
my tires are about 1/2 what they are retail
I get my money in 2 weeks...with no factoring
I GET MY MONEY!!!

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

dispacth
I run 1 truck have had to start over several times because of problems but I agree independant is the only way to go.insurance runs me about 500 per month but I had to put a downpayment of $2,500 to get it started.you are correct the filing fee is $300 but you have to have insurance on file before you start hauling so I would say a person needs about 5k and a truck to make this work.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Lets not let this die on the vine. The Dispatcher understands enough to be dangerous. The rest of you couldbees, or wannabees, or mightbees need to give us some food for the grey matter. There hasn't been close to enough covered for someone to get really interested.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I believe if you're going to do it, prepare to do everything yourself. Even if you choose to go under someone else's authority for 10-20%, you'd better have an iron clad way of getting paid. You'll have too much involved to make a $5000 week and then the guy gives you the runaround about not getting his check from the company, or changing his factoring company or any bs like that. I've been there. Luckily, I'm only out $1400. It could be a LOT worse! Thus, the reason I'm hesitant to go with someone I don't know. If I'm doing it again, most likely it'll be under my own authority.

The thing I did enjoy about independant status was that I could dispatch myself from home, then right back again if the opportunity presented itself. What was nice was jumping around on 200-400 mile runs one week, then taking a 700 miler, then a 1300 over the weekend. It all depended on what I felt like running at the time. Like I said before, I had to constantly watch the boards for something. And that's the main downside to me. If you have help to do it, great. If you get into this and find out you're longing for a dispatch to help with loads, you're better off staying at a decent company. The perfect scenario for me would be a company like C&M who gives you a straight percentage to find your own loads, like Panther. Though I'm starting to enjoy my off-time. For the few extra bux I'd save finding my own loads, I'm not nearly as stressed with a good company. But it's almost an addiction once you've started dispatching yourself. :D

mygroupllc

Expert Expediter
the thing I like about being independant is I still haul freight for most of the major players and I wouldnt say its just limited to freight that companies drivers dont want.alot of the loads I haul are what freight the company wont put on single driver trucks.
But since they are no longer responcible for the log books and insurance they broker it out.conway is one example of a bigger company that brokers out expedite freight.any carrier can set up with them to recieve emails of loads.and I do get $1.50 and up for straight truck freight.

I do not haul expedite everyday I just get expedite for outbound once I get the expedite load out I start looking for ltl out of the area I am to deliver in.since my trips will take 2 to 3 days to deliver I post my truck available in the delivering area once im loaded and I take calls for freight that will be available on or after the day I deliver.using this method I usally take 2 expedites and one ltl per week.I save alot of money that I would spend at truckstops.ltl may not pay me expedite rates but it has happened that I get 2 or even 3 ltls on my 24' truck will pay alot better than the expedite rate I got going out and I can take the time I need to make my logs work out so I stay in compliance.remember most expedited shippments are based on 45 mph transit times and since I spend most of my time driving in states with 70 mph speed limits I have enough time anyway to cover team runs.Im not saying this works for everyone.if you like to spend time at truckstops dont even try it.I would also like to point out insurance does run about 10k per year per unit with a 48 state operating radius but I make it up and then some in the difference of the rate I get as being independant instead of a leased owner op

as t-hawk pointed out the 15% you give panther is for load insurance
and he thinks that is fair.But the load insurance or cargo part of my policy is only $1,127.00 per year
the other $8,934.00 I pay per year is general liability,physical damage and bobtail.

so if your paying panther $125 per week for the insurance thats
$6,500 a year that you are paying anyway.if you take a panther load or one you find yourself.so to me the differance is less than $70.00 per week to run with panther or on your own.and you are not limited to working for just 1 company.but you will also need around $350.00 per year for permits that they provide free and you will need to do your fuel tax reporting.panther does that for you but they take it out of your settlement.and there are many programs on the net that will calculate what is owed for you.and to make up the difference of paying the extra insurance I dont pay qc charges of $1,800 per year.I have never been denied a load for not having a qc.not saying there are not shippments that require them but most do not.a cell phone and a check call will do just fine.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Mygroupllc... let me axe you something. If you didn't have your own authority, what would you be willing to pay someone to use theirs? What do you think is fair? You don't think 15% is fair? Especially with a company that will pay you in 2 weeks for a load they haven't been paid for yet? I'm not tooting the Panther horn here. I have my own issues with them... mainly big brother qualcomm. I will not have another one put on a truck I drive. But I say Panther has the right idea, in general. And, like I said, if they charged less than 15% for another company's freight, no one would want their loads. It's a nice compromise, in my opinion.

As I stated tho... if you want to do this, either do it yourself or with someone you trust to pay you.

mygroupllc

Expert Expediter
t-hawk
I dont think there is a company out there who will let you use the authority for less than 15%. at least not one that intends on paying you.But I think a true owner/op is better off doing it all themself and keeping the 15%.I stand behind dispatchn1 he is just trying to get people interested in getting the authority.thus it would be them doing the billing and from the way I read it he is offering to help them during the start-up with dispatch and the 3% he wants to cover his expences to me would be well worth it if he could gross me more than 3k per week every week of the year.I to use a factoring company so I never wait even 2 wweks to get paid.I do alot of work for landstar so I dont factor them loads cause they pay me by com-data card in 2 or 3 days.I think they charge 1.5% for that service so its worth it to me.

I dont know if dispatchn1 has all his ducks in a row yet.I think it would be very hard for a 1 truck operation to get set up with NLM when I talked to them about 2 years ago I was told if a guy had 3 straights he could do ford and chrysler.

but what does the alliance do they share freight between members
to me this is double brokering but its done everyday.I am not a member gps411 myself I have seen it and think it is a good platform.but I dont want to pay 100 bucks a month to use the software for just 1 truck.I dont know if they charge more for the more trucks you post or not I suppose that question is best answered by a member.
Now if a guy could get 3 trucks running under 1 authority and get set-up with nlm then he would have something.but as another poster stated NLM works on a point system.every time you are late or miss a check call points are deducted.So to me its not worth it cause you have to depend on other people to do there job and if they dont do it right it reflects on me and I dont want any part of that.
I tried running more than 1 truck onceupon a time and found its very hard to deal with drivers but the owner/ops know what it takes to get the job done.as far as the way dispatchn1 wants to do it I see no way he could hurt you cause he is not paying you or asking you to pay him before you collect the money.I think we all should have our own authority.why?cause you know what you need it may be 50k a year or it may be 200k and if you are in control of yourself your always first out.no waiting in line to get out.being free is priceless I only need to work 1 week out of the month to make just as much as any 9-5 job would pay.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
GPS is $150/month, and well worth it. I have it now, even though I'm with a company. It not only finds me loads when things are dead, but it tells me where freight is kickin, and gives me an idea how many trucks are in a certain area. I don't have to constantly bug dispatch for that info. This area of expediting is contact driven. The more contacts you have, the more likely you are to be loaded. And at $150/month, I see that as a necessary expense. We've had it for a little over a month now. The one load we've gotten, gps has paid for itself for at least 3 months.

mygroupllc

Expert Expediter
t-hawk

I like gps 2 but did you notice yesturday the company called city express courier service from bethesda,MD was welcomed as an alliance connect subscriber?

I find that interesting cause their authority has been revoked since
05/05/2000 and they have no insurance.

here you have a guy micheal j davidson who can be contacted at 240-333-7324 who now has access to companies like express 1 and con-way and yes your company C&M

whats going to happen when they take freight from these companies puts it on an owner/op and dont pay?

the last company you were leased to that stuck you for the $1,400 was they not a member also.

you was one of the lucky ones dale also stuck kw for over 5k,and doug&clancy got hit for 3k,otty from AL got stuck for 5k also.and yes last but not least me I got hit the hardest and have an atty working on it now.I only know 3 people that do collect pay on time from him.gps is a great tool but they got alot of house cleaning to do and if your a newbe waiting 30 days or 60 to collect money and are doing loads from there I suggest you only take loads from the ones you can get next day pay or cod and to do that you need your own authority.
I learned the hard way a guy can use this system to take owner/ops for 20+ k in a matter of a couple weeks.
so be careful he always had some excuse from the carrier like well I didnt get your paperwork turned in to the factoring company or Im switching factoring companies and its going to be a couple more days
or im out on the road and when I get home I will take care of it.
two day pay went to 30 days if your lucky and im gonna take out factoring fees anyway.the last straw for me was when one of our trucks was involved in an accident in ohio and spilled some fuel that cost 5k to clean up 10 gallon thats when I found out he wasnt even putting his leased trucks on his insurance he was just faxing over an accord certificate that went to his truck so in order in to get a clean up crew to go out I had to sign a contract that I would pay them the charges.so not only did I not get paid for runs I had to cover the cost of the accident myself.I lost 2 trucks and ended up in bankruptcy court.then he has the nerve to send me a 1099 for $45,000 for the 2 months I worked for him in 05.he didnt pay mygroup 15k in november,december combined.

he got paid that but just didnt pass it on.at first I just wanted to go to his house and burn it down.But I have 3 kids who need me here not in a jail cell so all I can do now is report him to the IRS and take him to court to make him prove the 45k he says he paid mygroup
and tell everyone if you do it all yourself this could never happen to you.oh and t-hawk if you dont want to forget about the $1,400.00 he took you for I think doug,clancy,forrest and myself are all going to the dot for leaseing violations.stu sutton to try and get him kicked off the gps and IRS he was being audited and needed to cover up 100k when he sent me that 1099.
one other thing if you are amember of gps and dont condone this kind of activity i suggest you remove tasap from your sharing rules
the company name is ASAP LOGISTICS RIVERVIEW,FL but do not get them confused with asap out of MI they are not connected.that is why gps list the company as TASAP.if for no other reason the guy does not even have an orientation doesnt keep driver files,dosent drug test his drivers total non-compliance

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
You did your research. Gps has nothing to do with Dale. However, I think their members would be interested to know his trucks are not insured... at least ours weren't. I get gps for the reasons stated above. They don't ask me for proof of insurance or anything like that. All it is is access to their loads and members, as I call dispatch and let them call on the load. Since I know most of the companies that post loads, I don't have a gripe with them.

What you told me confirms my suspisions. If Dale could get away with charging 7% for letting someone use his authority, my truck most likely didn't have load insurance on it. I didn't think about that one till after I was gone from there, as I'd never knowingly run a truck without the proper insurance.

Dale is the perfect example of why I would suggest getting your own authority, rather than running for someone you don't know. KW told me about Dale, and in turn he got screwed too. So, that tells me KW knew about as much as me when it came to TASAP.

mygroupllc

Expert Expediter
t-hawk
now you know the whole story. and this is why I am preaching the own authority thing.I could be on top right now instead of doing odd jobs just to come up with my insurance downpayment.a couple more weeks and I will be rolling again but like you I cant run a truck with no insurance so ive been sitting for the last 2 months.
My truck is in great shape but no one wants to lease on a 94 even if it is a class 8 and like you said once you do it on your own it gets in your blood and there is no turning back you just have to overcome any set back.

keep on trucking t-hawk

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Since we have done both and continue to book some of our own freight, the numerous reasons that all described are the reasons I really don't recommend it. It is costly and very labor intensive.
But for the few that can overcome those obstacles, there is certainly some money in it.
For me personally, I have no interest in that type of time dedication that it requires to achieve constant success.
We experience pretty much the same results as others. When everything was looked at over a twelve month period, the difference in net profit was essentially the same.
Through that period we had as few as 4 trucks to as many as 15
So with that in mind, why spend all that time and extra effort for the same dollars?
Again, that is just my experience doing our own authority for a good bit of time.
Now it is nice to book a load and not have to worry about a shelf of other items, from collections, government audits, load problems, piles of paperwork, you name it.
With regards to QC's, they are a requirement for the largest majority of military & government loads. Same thing for high value and pharmaceuticals. They are usually company specific loads and aren't ran through any type of load board. The upside is these loads whether WG or Elite pay more than standard expedite.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator