Dispatch selection of trucks for loads

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think most everyone agrees that the only fair way for seleting a truck for dispatch is 1st in, 1st out.

Companies have tried to change this system for several years. I have seen a truck dispatched for a pickup only because in was sitting closer to the pickup by as little as 50 feet.

Now, several new factors have been added. Some trucks(of like size) are paid a higher rate than others. Also, acceptance is taken into consideration. Some trucks aren't even in consideration because they won't go to Canada.

The only fair way to dispatch is to treat all trucks of like size equally.

My acceptance is not as high as some. However, I am inservice more that most. Because I am inservice more hours, I am offered more loads. If acceptance is a factor, why not inservice, or ontime, or safety.

If a company is publicly traded, won't the stockholders want the company to use the cheapest truck available that can get the job done?

There should be one standard for all trucks, and they should be dispatched FIFO.

Any comments?

Road Hooligan

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Road Hooligan-

What company, if any, do you run for? I am curious.

-mcbride-

--What goes around comes around--

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I run for the one with the cats on the side. But I used to run for the other company from Akron.

Road Hooligan

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree there should be no favoritism of any sort. What I find very strange is that rather than looking at on time ratio they look at acceptance ratio. Arriving on time would seem more important than how many marginal loads are accepted. I'll go one further and say that not only should it be first in first out but in addition once a truck reaches 1st out it should have first refusal on every load until one is accepted.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Leo,

I agree. If you are in Detroit, and you refuse a Canada load, you go to the bottom of the list. The drivers who have a No Canada contract move right up the board.

You are right. Ist out should be until you accept a load. You shouldn't lose it for refusing another mini.

Let's hope we get some response from the companys out there.

Road Hooligan

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have already relayed our woes with regards to Panther’s dispatch procedures several times here-AND to date no one has ever specifically addressed what happened with us but anyway…

Panther does not use first in-first out---Period. Anytime you put provisions on some trucks and/or add other stipulations on dispatch guidelines for some trucks, it is not going to be a true first in-first out system.

The ONLY exceptions to this which are pretty much universal would be if a truck were to take a load under 100 miles or have a dry run status. These trucks would then be placed in the number one position.

The 100 mile and under rule may cause problems with regard to Panther because they dispatch “mini’s†routinely which other company's do not do. Therefore, there could feasibly be 2 or more trucks with under 100 mile status--Thus, we have 2 or more trucks that are number 1..what criteria do they use for dispatch then? Furthermore, when we are told we are number 2 are we in fact? Nope, we could be number 4 or 5 in reality because we may have a couple of 1’s and a couple of 2’s as head of us etc…

We never did find out why some trucks were not offered some of the loads we were offered while in Dallas but were given several explanations why they “might“ not have been offered the one crap load…all of which clearly indicate that first in-first out is not practiced.

We were told:

Some trucks have different weights they can carry therefore, they aren’t offered loads that are above the weight that they stated they can carry-
Some trucks can not go to Canada, therefore, they aren’t offered Canadian loads-
Some truck’s “owners†want their trucks to stay east of the Mississippi River so they aren’t offered loads going to far out places-
Some trucks “can’t go to certain states so, they aren’t offered those loads- (Not quite sure what this one means)
Some trucks can’t haul hazmat so, they are not offered hazmat loads-

One could look at this and feasibly say, well, it is to your advantage to be able to carry all weights, be apportioned for all states, be hazmat endorsed, clear to go into Canada, and willingly travel to remote areas----In other words, take all freight---

This would be true if, and only if, all the loads dispatched were “GOOD†loads.

What they fail to tell you is---these trucks do not loose their positions when that bad load comes up and they can not take it because of the above cited reasons. BUT because they are not offered the load, they stay in the same position on the board or even move up.

What I don’t understand is, if you are a D unit with most companies, it clearly states in most contracts what weight you have to carry, what states your truck must be apportioned for, if you will be required to go to Canada or not, and what minimum equipment your truck must have and so on. So, why the exceptions?

Another overlooked factor in this first in-first out fiasco is the bazillion places that Panther has as layover locations. You can be on five boards at once. BUT, when we were in the Dallas situation we were never offered loads from the other boards BUT our friends in Fort Worth were offered the crappy SK Canada load… and when they refused it, they too, were sent to the bottom of Fort Worth’s positions…

-mcbride-

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm sure I'll miss some points but to answer at least some of these issues here goes. Some trucks are sometimes passed over because of door opening size. Even with a supposed 96" wide door on my first truck I went on one pickup and couldn't get the racks into the truck without turning them 90 degrees. That dropped it from 7 to 4 racks that I could take. Box height can also be an issue. Inside cargo length is another.

You are right that in some locations there could be more than one truck with a first out because of a mini. The POD time would determine ordering with the earliest POD being the first first out and so on.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Bob and others,how many of us remember the old Roberts Express 62/46% pay rates. If your load offer was going to take you further away from your home area you received 62% of the revenue. If it took you 1 mile closer to home you would receive 46% of the revenue. Just about everyone thought that the 46 percenters on the board would get first preference on a offer. Some people including my self saw post it notes on Dispatcher cubicles saying "Think 46%".

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
With regards to weight, there cut off for a D unit is 9500lbs.
We have a truck that can only carry 11,000 lbs.
If a 12,000 lb load comes up, we lose. Just the way it goes.
Same deal as dimensions which was already mentioned.
With regards to Canada, trucks that can't go in run at a reduced rate. Their position isn't penalized, but their revenue per mile is.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

G

What is the FSC at Panther Davekc?

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts Express O/O Since 3/1/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,D5047

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
It seems our respective carriers are constantly tweaking the dispatch procedures to either keep or attract owners. There was a time that the old Roberts Express would put us out of service for refusing two consecutive loads. After we called in to beg our way back into service, we were at the bottom of the dispatch queue. That policy has been deleted. If we didn't go to the 'suggested' express center (preferred layover location) we stayed at the bottom of the queue until such time as we were authorized to be at the center to which we bedcarded. At another time, another policy that has come and gone is the placement out of service for not going to the carriers choice of layover city.

Similar to the above mentioned Panther policy, we can never be sure where we fit in the dispatch lineup. We are generally first in, first out, but closest to the pickup is often the qualifier for a load offer, even when either truck could easily make an on time pickup. Other factors for getting the next offer is HOS, <75 status (mini), team/solo, pieces/weight, customer requests particular driver/truck, customer forbids particular driver/truck, dwell time, special freight handling eqpt, lift gate, reefer, driver special qualifications/certifications

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Very good points. Even on the Roberts days. Wow...the memories of being aggravated after those two refusals. The dwell time madness was another but they changed all that.
Location is a huge factor. As in the Ft Worth example, if something needed picked up right away, a truck could be on both boards but not able to make a pickup. If he was on the northside of Ft Worth, he couldn't make a pickup on the south side of Dallas in time. Same deal in Chicago. Depending on the time of day, it can take several hours to go from one end to the other. That is the reason for many boards in a smaller area. They are defined by zip codes from the customers.

On surcharges, they vary. Huge difference between Conway and Panther. With a very low Conway surcharge it is easy to tell where the load came from. They are slowing getting that corrected.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Terry

you said; "If we didn't go to the 'suggested' express center (preferred layover location) we stayed at the bottom of the queue until such time as we were authorized to be at the center to which we bedcarded."

Is this still in effect?

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>It seems our respective carriers are constantly tweaking the
>dispatch procedures to either keep or attract owners. There
>was a time that the old Roberts Express would put us out of
>service for refusing two consecutive loads. After we called
>in to beg our way back into service, we were at the bottom
>of the dispatch queue. That policy has been deleted. If we
>didn't go to the 'suggested' express center (preferred
>layover location) we stayed at the bottom of the queue until
>such time as we were authorized to be at the center to which
>we bedcarded. At another time, another policy that has come
>and gone is the placement out of service for not going to
>the carriers choice of layover city.

Ah...do I remember those days...not fondly....LOL The key in the above paragraph is the phrase "there was a time"....These policies are gone. Why? Because they were proven to be ineffective and unproductive for both the o/o and Roberts/FedEx.

>Similar to the above mentioned Panther policy, we can never
>be sure where we fit in the dispatch lineup. We are
>generally first in, first out, but closest to the pickup is
>often the qualifier for a load offer, even when either truck
>could easily make an on time pickup. Other factors for
>getting the next offer is HOS, <75 status (mini), team/solo,
>pieces/weight, customer requests particular driver/truck,
>customer forbids particular driver/truck, dwell time,
>special freight handling eqpt, lift gate, reefer, driver
>special qualifications/certifications

The difference between the two policies is you are NOT moved to the bottom of the pile Terry. (EDIT: IF YOU TURN THE LOAD DOWN.) You may not be eligible for the load because of special criteria needed but you would not go below others as a result.(EDIT: IF YOU TURN THE LOAD DOWN) Panther puts you to the bottom of the pile regardless. (EDIT: IF YOU TURN THE LOAD DOWN.)

Dwell time should always, IMO, be used as a determining factor especially in crowded and remote layover areas. Panther does not consider dwell time.

If time to the pick up is an issue then the closest to the pickup would be a qualifier. I have no idea what Panther's stance is on this as we have never gotten a load because of being closer nor have we heard of anyone getting one because they were closer to the pick up location.

With respect to reefer, lift gate, etc those are all special services and the average Express truck is not required to have those items. However, when we were with FedEX and if you did have extra equipment etc then you were used when a White Glove truck was not available. Definitely a perk to carrying extras like pads, straps, carts, and pallet jack.

In addition, FedEX has uniformed criteria for all it's D units-
which includes door size, weight, straps needed, load bars needed...etc. Panther does not have a uniform standard set for their D units.(EDIT: THAT STATES THEY MUST CARRY A CERTAIN PAY LOAD WEIGHT.) In other words if your truck can't haul a certain weight you can not be a D unit with FedEX. Period. Therefore, you know from the onset with FedEX you are considered a C unit and will be dispatched and paid accordingly.

-mcbride-

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The difference between the two policies is you are NOT moved to the bottom of the pile Terry. You may not be eligible for the load because of special criteria needed but you would not go below others as a result. Panther puts you to the bottom of the pile regardless.
=================================================
That is not a accurate statement. If you truck cannot accomodate a load whether weight or dimensions ect, you do not go to the bottom of the list. You are simply not offered that load.

Here is their requirements. This is right off their web page. One is a C unit and the other is a D.
Both run at different rates.
Dimensions will vary according to box height, door opening, ect.
Same issues with a 22 footer and say a 24 footer

12-16 ft. Straight Truck
• Capacity: 4,001 lbs. - 9,500 lbs.
• Must be dock high.

18-24 ft. Straight Truck
• Capacity: 9,501 lbs. - 12,500 lbs.
• Door opening:
96"w x 92"h
96"w x 98"h
102"w x 102"h
Must be dock high.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Dave-

I guess I did not make the point about being a specific unit clear...what I am trying to say is: using what happened with us as an example, a truck that could not carry 10,000 pounds was not dispatched a load because they could not carry the weight even though they are considered a D unit-with FedEX it is my understanding that in ORDER for them to even be considered a D unit they must be able to carry 13,000 pounds(if I remember right). Therefore, the occurance of the truck that kept it's position as a D unit in Dallas even though we lost ours would not happen if all D units were required to carry the defined max weight of 12,500.

It really makes no sense to compare the two company's with this scenario anyway because trucks aren't put to the bottom with FedEX if they do turn the load down.

-mcbride-
--what goes around comes around--

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The only difference is Panther is using 950l lbs as a "D" unit instead of say 13,000 lbs. If it is less, then it would be a "C" unit.
As mentioned, if a 12,000 lb load comes up and you can only haul 10,000, you aren't offered the load. Just as a "C" wouldn't be. There is no loss of board position.
The other side of that is, it may be a great run, and is only offered to the next in line that can haul it.
Could it be a undesirable load? It absolutely could. That is one of the risks. You could lower your weight to the 9501 lbs, but then you don't know what other loads you may have qualified for and missed.
This same scenerio applies in cases where tag axles come into play, and they can carry considerably more.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Okay Dave, I surrender. You will always see it your way and I apparently can only comprehend it my way. Comparing the two companys is moot as FedEx does not have a refusal policy.

For the record, I do see the fact we can carry over 9,501 as an asset. (We did have a pusher put on for this very reason) When we had the truck built we were with FedEx and we would have been considered a C unit had we not put one on.

I know when running for Con-Way if we carried a load even if it was 5 pounds over 13,000 we were paid tractor rate. So, being able to carry the the weight is good.

What I don't understand, comprehend, and/or dislike is: if the truck next to me could not carry 9,502 pounds and the load called for that---that truck was NOT penalized even though Panther's max D weight is 12,500 BUT we are booted to the bottom if we turn it down BECAUSE we can carry it.

So, if we lower our vehicle pay load weight to 9,501 and Panther knows from our vehicle stats we can carry 17,000, and a situation arises that they need a 12,500 load carried and we are the only ones there that can carry the weight....do they offer it to us?

-mcbride-

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If you classify your truck at 9502 lbs capacity, they will not offer you a load over that.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
>Terry
>
>you said; "If we didn't go to the 'suggested' express center
>(preferred layover location) we stayed at the bottom of the
>queue until such time as we were authorized to be at the
>center to which we bedcarded."
>
>Is this still in effect?

NO! That was a Roberts Policy that didn't last very long. As I recall, it was set in place because the company had so many missed opportunities due lack of trucks in the centers that the Planning Dept had programmed. We were victims of that ill formed policy many times and went home in an OOS status; we were placed back in service as soon as we hit the home express center.

That reminds me of another policy now long gone. You were always last in line at your home center for 72 hours before you could move up the dispatch queue with the layovers. The carrier's way of keeping us out on the road.

In defense of the larger, nationwide expedite carriers, It must be an administrative nightmare trying to hustle business in Denver, then have no company branded trucks willing to go to Denver to satisfy the newly found customers. FedEx Custom Critical has several dozen cities known as Express Centers. Shippers in these centers are encouraged to call FedEx custom Critical, having been promised a speedy pickup (60-90 minutes). Those customers will be lost to other carriers if we, and no other company drivers, don't accept a layover request.

I'm sure most of the large carriers have reciprocity agreements with each other regaring furnishing a truck for each other. If a Panther branded truck, for example, shows up at a shipper that called FedEx Custom Critical, that customer will like change its preferred carrier. This is but one example why our carriers have continuously changed policies to satisfy the customers and to keep us on their leasee rolls. It must be quite a balancing act, one that would make Ed Sullivan proud.