dispatch procedures chapter 37

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Dispatchers need to use a little bit more common sense when sending out load offers to multiple units. I understand and agree with sending an offer to multiple vehicles so the load is covered during the initial 10 minute decision window. Common sense needs to be used in choosing how many units to send it to. When a van gets an offer of 1902 miles for $1819 picking up Thu 15:30 and delivering Mon 08:00 there's a really high probability the first unit is going to say yes to it. When there are 5 vans available don't send it to more than 2 vans initially. I got that offer and said yes to it. A few minutes later I got a call that it went to another unit. That's fine, I knew there were 5 vans and I might not get it. About 20 minutes later I got another load offer and it was that same run. I said yes again and once again it went to someone else. That time it wasn't quite so fine. I thought for whatever reason the unit ahead of me wasn't going to take it and I'd get it that time. I'm usually not annoyed or unhappy with not getting a load but that's about as prime a load as there is and to not get it twice isn't cool. Soooo, dispatch needs to be better trained and do a better job than they are doing of using common sense.

1CHINGON

Seasoned Expediter
I take issue with your comment and I will reply to your endless negativity. I really get tired of what you're always spewing, and while I truly believe in the freedom of speech, and believe you can post your opinions, I urge you to use positive language. You are a moderator on this site, and while there is another one that closely resembles you, the rest of the moderators are just that, and are good people chosen to help the conduct of the members that post here. Most of what you post appears to be negative, unless you're posting about a place to stuff yourself with food. But let me not digress, and get to the point.

Dispatchers need to use a little bit more common sense when sending out load offers to multiple units. I understand and agree with sending an offer to multiple vehicles so the load is covered during the initial 10 minute decision window. Common sense needs to be used in choosing how many units to send it to. When a van gets an offer of 1902 miles for $1819 picking up Thu 15:30 and delivering Mon 08:00 there's a really high probability the first unit is going to say yes to it. When there are 5 vans available don't send it to more than 2 vans initially. I got that offer and said yes to it.

Common sense is needed? Says you? Who are you to state what a company should or should not do? How do you know how many units the offer went to? Maybe you're special and have special information, huh? Common sense? Think twice before you write.

A few minutes later I got a call that it went to another unit. That's fine, I knew there were 5 vans and I might not get it.

It happens to all of us.

About 20 minutes later I got another load offer and it was that same run. I said yes again and once again it went to someone else. That time it wasn't quite so fine.

Why not so fine? Common sense once again. Allow me to help you with this troubling concept. Run gets dispatched, and then it cancels. Or the customer calls back and puts a hold on it. Maybe there's a glitch. Who knows? Who cares? Unit that accepted it gets a dry run status. Load gets offered again, same unit accepts it and gets it. Regardless of anything you state, dispatch did their job, the system worked as designed, and now you're not so fine. Common sense flew out the window huh?

I thought for whatever reason the unit ahead of me wasn't going to take it and I'd get it that time. I'm usually not annoyed or unhappy with not getting a load but that's about as prime a load as there is and to not get it twice isn't cool. Soooo, dispatch needs to be better trained and do a better job than they are doing of using common sense.

Sooooo the load goes to someone else and you think because it was offered to you twice you should get the load? Common sense? Hmmmm. May I politely tell you that you're wrong in your senless statement? Think before you write.

Let me finish my post. First, I believe that as a moderator you need to be relieved of your duties. You post much negativity and agitate the masses with your comments. You remove posts when you don't like something. Many of your posts should be removed, yet they remain in place because you posted them. I believe that as a moderator you should be more positive and conduct yourself in an impecheable manner. I have read many posts written by the other moderators, and they all appear to strive towards impartiality, except you and that other one.
Second, quit talking bad about the company you work for. It is not good business. Common sense, remember? I only have one simple suggestion for you: don't like it? Leave. No one will miss you. Nor would they miss me. I have not gotten many loads myself that were very profitable, and my status was apparently high enough that I could almost assume those loads were mine. But I didn't, and patiently waited for the next one. That is expedite, and what i signed up for.
My last thought is for you, and take this with a grain of salt or whatever you prefer to ingest, regarding your post. I'll send you a quarter, and you can call someone that cares. No one replied to your post until now. No one appears to care. I don't care. We all get many load offers. Some are good, some aren't so good. You take care of your business, I'll do the same, and somewhere down the line we'll count the money we earned. As long as my keep is positive, I'll keep doing this. When I can't earn what I need, I'll move on, and adapt to reality. Hopefully you can do the same, in a positive fashion. I look forward to those positive comments from you.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Wow.....is this thread about dispatchers or moderators? I didn't know that moderators weren't allowed to post their opinions, whether they be positive OR negative.

You'd think if someone had this much of a problem with ANY moderator, they'd post about it in the general forum or take it to the admin team.........unless they wanted to be certain that someone from Fed Ex read it.:rolleyes:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The constructive criticism I posted pointed out that a job with a 99% plus certainty of acceptance by anyone it's offered to shouldn't be offered to very many units. If in fact it was cancelled and reoffered, certainly a possibility, that's all the more reason to only offer it to the one unit the second time since the guy who said yes an hour earlier is going to say yes again.

I frequently post both compliments and criticisms about specific carriers I have experience with and expediting topics in general. I post primarily negative comments in the soapbox because there's not a lot to post positive comments about.

If anyone has a problem with forum moderation I highly encourage them to communicate with forum administration by private messaging until a resolution is achieved.

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
When computers make decisions, common sense is not always obvious. There was a day when you could pick up the phone and find out why you did not get the run etc. That ship has sailed unless you want to stay on hold for 20 min. I have been with fdcc for 21 years and have learned that you will get more good runs by accident than you will on purpose. If you do not get the great run on the first offer, there is no guarantee you will on the second or third offer of the same run. Like driving, if you let other motorists upset you, you will not last long in this line of work. Pick a lane and stay in it. Pick your runs and rejoice when you get what you want. I would place a weight on acceptance percentage and use that with other criteria to establish the "list". You accept 3 run offers and do not get them, you might go ahead of the driver that turned down those same three runs even though his dwell time was greater.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When computers make decisions, common sense is not always obvious. There was a day when you could pick up the phone and find out why you did not get the run etc. That ship has sailed unless you want to stay on hold for 20 min. I have been with fdcc for 21 years and have learned that you will get more good runs by accident than you will on purpose. If you do not get the great run on the first offer, there is no guarantee you will on the second or third offer of the same run. Like driving, if you let other motorists upset you, you will not last long in this line of work. Pick a lane and stay in it. Pick your runs and rejoice when you get what you want. I would place a weight on acceptance percentage and use that with other criteria to establish the "list". You accept 3 run offers and do not get them, you might go ahead of the driver that turned down those same three runs even though his dwell time was greater.

I don't know about giving extra "weight" to acceptance percentage. There is just NO WAY for us to keep a high acceptance level with all of these really bad load offers we see.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
That is a little over the top Chingon. Relax a little.

Maybe in your perception of the delivery. Message was spot-on, IMHO.

My tongue's been bleeding for several months now, after reading the almost-weekly "bash-the-Fed" posts, both here and in the general forum.

What disheartens me the most is that some of the frequent participants are current FDCC contractors. I learned a long time ago to not crap where I eat. Some of the folks in these posts realize that after they've already hit the 'submit' button.

One of the things that make me shake my head the most are the veiled threats that the posters are actively talking to other companies' recruiters. You need help taking the stickers off your truck? You purport to be some type of uber-intellectual, but it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out you'd never make anywhere near the dough you make now. But what do I know? I'm just a pee-on in a rattletrap surface truck.

I know for a fact that some of the folks in Uniontown read this site regularly. I'm fairly certain that one of these frequent whiners posts with intent to get attention there. That's just wrong. Again, MHO.

Here's where you insert your comments about me being a company sucka**: Prior to this gig, I was the most broke I have ever been in my life. Never have I had an endeavor where the harder I worked, directly rewarded me with more money. I have never been so happy in a profession in my life; AND I get to do it with my bride. Plain and simple. If you frequent complainers can do so much better elsewhere, push on. The folks in OH will fill your shoes.

Maybe your gripes would best be pursued by contacting your contractor coordinator, or maybe drop a line to a member on the driver's council. Posting your beef on a forum for the world to see is just that......crapping where you eat. You have ideas for more fluidity? Take them up your chain of command. Maybe they'll act on them. Maybe they won't. Nobody's forcing you to do this. There's my constructive criticism for the day.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is a very fine line between just complaining and voicing real concerns about real problems. Real problems like CC's not returning phone calls just as an example. Real problems like asking to speak to someone about the new contract while at FDCC, in Green. They did send someone out to speak with us. In a PUBLIC area, not a private office/cubicle etc. With newbies (in orientation) standing around. That is NOT professional or even ethical. Also a VERY bad business practice.

It is never good to just "complain". Having said that, just ignoring real problems is just as bad. It has become far more difficult to address real problems lately and MAYBE if we voice them in here they MIGHT get addressed. Going through channels has not been working very well of late.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Can you believe how stupid those morons in the office are? Dirt is smarter than they are. How can anyone be that stupid.

The above is an example of dumping where you eat. Not a good idea. Not what I posted.

I reread my original comment and I stand by it as constructive criticism presented in a reasonable manner. No dumping involved.

Oh, I intentionally put it here knowing folks in Green read this so it would reach folks higher up than my CC and better able to consider and make changes for the better with the authority to do so.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Maybe your gripes would best be pursued by contacting your contractor coordinator, or maybe drop a line to a member on the driver's council.

Do you think that people who post complaints here have not already tried talking to our contractor coordinators and driver council members?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Do you think Driver Council members have not talked to FCC about many of these problems?

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Missing a good Coordinator.
I myself know of one that isnt there no more although i wish that the person was.
That Person went above and beyond their job and ensured that the Driver was taken care of. When they say theyd look aroud that person did just that.
That person Knows who they are. I need not say any more.

Truly that person has been missed. When they post I do Listen.
just like I did when they were my Contact Coordinator.
Enough Said.

It could be better or it could be worse I could be sitting in the stinking desert or I could be on a good Run.
Hmm you remember.
In case you never herd me say Thank you
Well Here me Now Thank YOU!!!!
No Pun intended for the one thats mine now either.
Again thanks and you know who you are.
No reply needed.

Last edited: