Dieting in the truck

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Ladies, I wonder if we could brain storm a little about healthy dieting in the truck. I’m looking at the idea of modifying the Weight Watcher plan to eat somewhat healthy but still fix meals in the truck. The real WW plan requires a lot of prep for fresh stuff and I don’t have the room or the time for all that work. I thought maybe we could get frozen WW meals for three days a week (using the WW muffins for breakfast along with cereal on some days). But what about the other days? Any ideas? I know the new frozen steam in the pouch veggies are pretty good. What other ideas do you have?

India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
He who hesitates is not only lost, but miles from the next exit.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
India,

I hope we can get participation and help with the modified WW plan. We have tried the Atkins and it didn't take to long to figure out that was to restrictive for the truck or else we just didn't work it right. I have been reading a lot on Weight Watchers and it appears to be a healthy way of life then Atkins. On the Weight Watcher site there is an online sign up instead of going to the meetings. It appears very helpful. I hope we can share ideas and make this life style change. At the rate I am going I will not be able to walk by the time I am sixty from lack of exercise and poor diet. I also noticed on the WW site there is an area for men. Has anyone else interested in trying this plan?

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
ive been having problems too eating what ever that is fast but there are the days when im doing nothing but waiting and i either fix some grilled taplia on my forman or just microwave some of thoes frozen steamed vegetables ive lost 10 lbs already but i have a terminal illiness and it does not matter what i eat it is out of me within hours but in still trying to lose some weight about 10-15 pounds i walk the dog but other than that i sleep or lay in bed i have no body here to incourgage me to do anything any ideas

god bless and keep rolling:9 :9 :9 :9 :+ :+ :+

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I did modified akins,just ate steak and eggs,if I got hungry,would eat a hard boiled egg.I lost 60 lbs in 3 months,but I didnt ever think i would get sick of steak,and the diet was very boreing.Its taken me three years to gain it back,but only have gained 20 lbs back,what I do now if I want to loose,just stop eating bread and potatoes,the weight will still roll off.
I'm a fooodaholic,so eating is a problem with me.Some people eat to live,I live to eat.Bon Appetit

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Well bit the bullet and joined WW! (that would be Weight Watchers for all of you not signed up) Had a very nasty shock with a couple of my stay awake at night snacks! Who knew sunflower seeds and peanuts where so bad? Going to have to re-think those snacks. We are going to have to frequent the grocery store more often then before. It appears that we need more fresh fruits and vegetables in the truck. Here's to the first week!

Some of those lurkers out there sure need to put some input here on the struggle we are facing!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Maintaining a healthy diet on the road is tough, but having a fridge and microwave allows us to store and prepare more vegetables and salads, though in smaller quantities, which means shopping more often. Another thing that helps is making substitutions wherever possible, like using mustard instead of high fat mayo on sandwiches, or having a microwaved sweet potato sprinkled with a bit of cinnamon & Splenda for dessert, instead of a high calorie choice, or even unsweetened applesauce microwaved with some cinnamon candies - it's good hot or cold. Anyplace you can substitute a lower fat or calorie item is a help, overall.
Exercise is the biggie, though - we all need to find whatever works for us, and we need to do it for ourselves, not for someone else!:)

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
How's the WW going? I've noticed that in the last year I've gained almost 15lbs! I've been the same weight for 15+ years now all of a sudden POOF......this is really irritating because none of my clothes fit! :(

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am still making it a point to walk as often as I can and to make better choices when eating out of the truck. This has sure been helping me to feel a lot better and my knees have quit hurting as bad. Not on it as strict as I should be but at least I am not going the wrong way anymore! It is sad how is slowly creeps up on you.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi

Eating healthy is out of the question for me.So exercise is the only choice I have.Here are some things you can do in a truck.

Situps,pushups and leg lifts while in the bunk.

While driving I do a goofy kind of mind game with my muscles.Start with the smallest muscle and work your way to the largest muscle lets say you start with your pinky finger; wiggle it in every possible postion, then think about lifting something with your pinky again moving it in every possible position,then move to the next finger and continue to do this all the way up to your shoulders.By working every muscle this way you burn fat and gain muscle quicker as opposed to weightlifting which only works certain muscles and does nothing for the adjoining muscles.Your flexing not ripping.
I know it shouldn't work but it does.I learned it in elementary school;the teacher had us stand up with our eyes closed and imagine we were holding a 5 gallon bucket in each hand then she would walk by and pretend to put a brick into the bucket.Even though there was no bricks or bucket most of us had dropped our arms and were feeling the strain in our mucsles.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
Weight is a problem for alot of people, me included, and this lifestyle just compounds the problem. Atkins is one of the most unhealthy diets there is. It essentially makes your body sick and causes it to lose weight. Weight Watchers is a healthy diet. If you ask any doctor worth his salt he will tell you the only good diet is one you can do the rest of your life. WW is one of those. Another good one was developed by a heart doctor (I forget his name)for his patients and was found to reverse heart disease (something not thought possible before) as well as promote weight loss. His book is called Eat More, Weigh Less. (can't help but love the title) Its all about eating healthy things and eating as much and as often as you want but eating the right things. I lost 25 pounds on it in three months about 4 years ago but didn't stick with it. I am currently determined to lose and have modified my diet and vow to stick to a lifestyle eating change. ##### it.

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
Atkins works much better for men than women. As far as being unhealthy, there is no solid proof to back up that claim and much more proof to back up that it is healthy. I wonder, have any of you used Nutrisystem? For about 300$ a month you can get all your meals for 2 people...they are not refrigerated, and include snacks and desserts as well as many interesting meals. My sister tried this and lost about 40pounds....and the food was really good. You can choose your food on the internet and have it shipped to you and then load it into your truck...you just have to make it by your mail once a month to pick up the next months. Just a thought.

-charlotte

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have seen people really do well with Nutri System. Then they lose the weight they want and try to get back in the real world and still dont know what to eat and here it comes again. Bob was on Cholesterol medicine till he got on Atkins and his cholesterol went way down no more medicine. The problem with ALL diets is they are hard to stay on in the truck. Our job just is not conducive to losing weight!! So we do what we can and watch what we eat and we walk a lot more then we did the first few years in the truck!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Lanier is right, the very concept of a 'diet' is a temporary thing, ie: something you can do until you lose the weight. At which point you are usually sick of it, and go back to the way you ate before, and the weight comes back. The only answer that doesn't cause the yoyo effect, is to change your eating & exercise patterns, with the intention of continuing with the changes permanently.
And Linder is right, too: lots of things just don't work in this 'job'! I do like Bryan's suggestion, as it can be done while driving, and I've also got a small 2lb dumbell in the overhead bin, for arm exercises while driving. Playing music that makes you dance, or at least tap your feet, lol, is a help, and parking at the furthest spot, rather than the closest, adds a bit to the daily quota, too.
It IS harder to eat healthy and exercise while living on the road, but it can be done, if it's a priority in your life.
Now I have to confess to being guilty of grabbing the occasional hot dog, when pressed for time, but it is happening a lot less as time goes on, at least. There are many ways in which most of us don't conform to the stereotype of truck drivers, and being healthy & eating right can certainly be one of them - good luck to all who want it. Keep posting the stuff that works, ok? :)

are12

Expert Expediter
I thought about signing up for the online WW's but wasn't sure if it would be a waste of money or not. I know WW's works for my sister, when she keeps her mind to it. She drives but she manages to get to the WW's meetings in the different states and can even eat out and still manage to lose weight!

Me, I can't manage to lose 5 lbs, no matter what I try.

Keep us informed on how the WW's is going for you, maybe it will encourage the rest of us to try it!! :p :p

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
I've lost over 35 pounds since March by drinking green tea. I had heard years ago that you could lose weight by drinking it but I always thought it was a bunch of malarkey. I've tried many diets throughout the years and never had as much success as I am now.

I don't drink the bottled stuff; I make my own with Lipton green tea bags. The key is to make the tea as strong as you stand it. Personally, I can't stand the stuff when it's cold but that's my own preference. Drink several cups or glasses of it each day. It speeds up your metabolism and really does work. I noticed the weight peeling off after about 10 days.

I've never been one to eat much sweets, so I didn't have to cut back on that. The only other thing I've changed with my eating habits is to stay away from white bread/rolls as much as possible. I've switched to wheat and rye breads whenever possible. I still drink lots of water along with drinking the green tea. I know it might sound crazy, but it truely does work!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
That is interesting to hear. I really enjoy Green Tea so might have to pick some up!

are12

Expert Expediter
I drink the Green Tea but I buy the On the Go that you just add to a bottle of water. I used to drink the Lipton but decided it was too expense to be buying all the time.

I also tried the hot tea but I am not a big fan of that, especially when it gets cold!!