Did I handle this right?

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
ok I pick a load up in Anniston Al.Stop for fuel notice oil leaking when I look under truck its sprayed everwhere under truck.I go to nearest quick oil change place to see if its a hose or quick fix.They say it looks like its coming from rear seal.Well I call dispatch tell them I need to swap out so I can go get it fixed.They swap it out.Now its late when I get back home in huntsville alabama.So I wait tell next morning during the night im thinking to myself they didnt ask me to turn it on while looking for the leak.So next morning I crawl in under with it running.And yeah the dumb place I had look at it in Anniston Alabama missed the leak,it was a hole in the oil filter.Now ive sit all weekend and have been having issues lately with getting loads anyways.So im thinking they think I did it on purpose,even though I had the oil place note on Bill that the oil filter had hole in it.Myself I think I did right not wanting to drive with a bad oil leak like that.I know its a rare thing for a filter to have hole in it but it did.Now I feel they may not load me again

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You did the right thing according to what you thought the problem was. As far as the choice of where you had it looked at, chalk it up to a learning experience we all have them.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You quickly gave up a load so it had a better chance of being delivered in a timely manner.
If they don't trust your answer and you feel they will never load you again, this makes me think things were rocky prior to this incident.

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
On there part they.The last 4 loads,Started chicago to erie pa.It was supposed to be straight thru deliver on Saturday morning well no one there till Monday,im already dispatched for a load Saturday night so I lose that one and only get 210 dollars for the whole weekend waiting.Well they give me a load Monday 110 mile dh to pick up and they started my clock when I left the drop off in the morning so I get to Columbus Ohio and they want to swap it 3 hrs before I have to shut it down only 305 miles into trip when I could have easily made it to indy with it and got 475 miles out of it.Well never would of guessed Tuesday they offer me one load pick up in Columbus going to Indianapolis.Well needless to say I laughed at them.Next one Wednesday morning pick up mini that was supposed to be ready drop dayton with first out,im like ok ill take and surely get one after it well I get to pick up no one knows about load!Why cause they sent wrong name over to ask for at pick up,after waiting an hour they call me to tell who the customer is.After 2 hours i get back on board.Then I get another load 105 miles to pick up going to Martin tn.yeap they swaped in Louisville.I came home the next was the one in Anniston.Ive about had it with my luck!And panther

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
"Im not even in the same building, idk anything" should be drivers relations motto.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
ok I pick a load up in Anniston Al.Stop for fuel notice oil leaking when I look under truck its sprayed everwhere under truck.I go to nearest quick oil change place to see if its a hose or quick fix.They say it looks like its coming from rear seal.Well I call dispatch tell them I need to swap out so I can go get it fixed.They swap it out.Now its late when I get back home in huntsville alabama.So I wait tell next morning during the night im thinking to myself they didnt ask me to turn it on while looking for the leak.So next morning I crawl in under with it running.And yeah the dumb place I had look at it in Anniston Alabama missed the leak,it was a hole in the oil filter.Now ive sit all weekend and have been having issues lately with getting loads anyways.So im thinking they think I did it on purpose,even though I had the oil place note on Bill that the oil filter had hole in it.Myself I think I did right not wanting to drive with a bad oil leak like that.I know its a rare thing for a filter to have hole in it but it did.Now I feel they may not load me again

Stop trying to connect the dots where there are not any....get back in your groove and carry on....you really think out of the whole Panther network you are worth the effort to screw over because of this issue......once that load was delivered you were never thought of again....LOL

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If they don't trust your answer and you feel they will never load you again, this makes me think things were rocky prior to this incident.

I have to agree with zorry. Since you are aware of what might be the problems, then correct it:)

Awareness=Correction:):)

****if this is not the case, this comment does not exist, lol.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is why i left they couldnt keep me moving, happy i did now im with a co. That has no refusal per.n0 out of service per.when i go home i stay on the board and just dont take offerd loads until im ready and i have neVEr looked back.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
You made a call based on the best info you had, thats all a person can do. No need to beat yourself up with what ifs. Forget it and move on.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If you take all the inconsistent and illogical things Panther does as a personal slight, you're gonna need a headshrinker, lol. ;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The key is to learn the rules and use them to your advantage. That includes knowing when your clock starts. Dispatch is concerned with getting leads covered, Safety is concerned with your clock. You need to know your clock in order to use dispatch to your advantage. If you know your clock, and the other rules, you'll never get swapped out unless you want to.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you know your clock, and the other rules, you'll never get swapped out unless you want to.
Not necessarily. If they want it swapped to meet the delivery time, it will get swapped. Unless they screw it up and want you to take a 5 hour break and then swap it. The two are mutually exclusive and should be covered in dispatch school. If you take a 5 hour break, there is no need to swap. If you swap, then there is no need for a 5 hour break. The whole reason for swapping is to avoid a 5 hour delay due to the safety break.

A couple weeks ago I accepted a 1037 mile load that I knew was going to swap. There was a logical swap point, a city with an ABF terminal, that would give me about 575 loaded miles. It was 118 miles to the shipper, mostly 2 lane that took me 2.25 hours. It took 30 minutes to get loaded.

When I left the shipper I had burned 2.75 hours on my 16 hour clock and safety sent me the obligatory QC message stating I must take a 5 hour break no later than 07:00. About 5 hours out from the logical swap point, and having not heard from dispatch, I inquired via the QC: "is this load swapping?" A few minutes later I got a reply from dispatch: "NO." Cool! The delivery time on the load offer must not be the real delivery time.

I send another QC message inquiring what the real delivery time is. Dispatch replies that it is 16:00, the original time on the load offer. I inform them that I won't be making that delivery time because I have to take a 5 hour break. Dispatch tells me they will work on a swap point.

Several hours later I am 33 miles beyond the logical swap point . I haven't heard anymore about a swap. I'm tired so I take my 5 hour break and inform dispatch of that. 3 hours into my break I get a QC receipt for the load showing 575 miles. This is the mileage from the shipper to the logical swap point. Only problem is I am now 33 miles beyond the logical swap point. I call dispatch and tell them this. The dispatcher I was dealing has gone home or where ever it is he goes after work. Probably back to a halfway house in Cleveland. I tell the new dude that I need to be paid for 66 loaded miles to go back to the logical swap point and ask what the swap time is. He tells me whenever my 5 hour break ends to go to the swap.

I ask him if that makes any sense to him? He doesn't get it either. Him and the night dispatcher must be slip-seating the same bed at the half-way house in Cleveland. Where do they get these people?

I end up getting to the consignee several hours late and of course they are closed. I call dispatch and talk to someone who knows what's going on. He said he expected them to be closed and within 5 minutes authorized me to leave the consignee, collect detention time and set up a 07:00 delivery time. I went 3 miles down the road to a Wally World and collected a $135 while I slept.