Detroit Layover

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for the tips everyone! The problem I run into is mother Fed has to see me within 25 miles of Dearborn. ;)?

Isn't there anywhere to stay in Windsor?
You'r dollar's worth PAR there.
You can slip back across the bridge if need be but in the meanwhile stay in your
HOME AND NATIVE LAND.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, that's what I wanna do, deliver next to the border and then do a 2 hour 6 mile deadhead in order to pay a bridge toll twice just so I can sit in my native land.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Compared to a lot of Detroit, the bridge is a sheet of ice. Ever gotten on I-75 southbound at the big basketball? The on-ramp is just OMG.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Many Many times. I remember when they built all of that. It never lasted long. Poor under pavement drainage.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As a side note, my dad worked more than 35 years at that salt mine right near that exit. You can see the tipple from the I75 bridge. It is on the right as you drive south.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Rob, thought about that but the amount of time you need to give US CBP notice you are coming in empty would make me miss pickup times. It would also put me on the Windsor Express Ctr and hurt my load chances.

I also don't want to give Mr M's bridge any more money than I have to!

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, I was told you needed to give them at least 30 minutes heads up. Usually I give an hours notice.

I am beginning to think I'm wrong about this...........

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
That's if you DO have a load, when your trip is loaded into ACE the 1 hour is for ATS (automatic targeting system) to decide if it likes you or not - meaning whether or not your load will be looked at. If you are empty you don't even need an emanifest.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hmmmmmm.

Either way, When empty to the US, FedEx has an automated system we call into with the time and port (works really well) and we use an ACE sheet with a trip number on it. So the original Windsor idea is still a no go for me.

I also found this: http://www.ecustoms.com/em/faqs.cfm
Read the third FAQ. ???????

Last edited: