Democratic Presidential Nominee: Who you got?

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I already gave Bloomberg the nickname PacMan, might as well call Elizabeth Warren PacWoman, since she backed out of her pledge not to take Pac money.

Reactions: Turtle

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Prediction: Bloomberg about to go all Tyson Fury on Sanders with his campaign advertising.

Reactions: Turtle

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Some of what I have observed here in Michigan just north of Detroit regarding the Democratic candidates exposure with advertising.
Michael Bloomberg, otherwise known as Mini Mike, has been a giant with the mass mailing. Rarely a day goes by that there isn't something from his NY address. Bloomberg's daily bombardment of commercials and mega mass mailing dwarfs all other candidates.

Reactions: davekc

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I might have to back out of my non expert opinion about Bloomberg winning the nomination or given the nomination at a brokered convention. He doesn't seem to have the appeal of Democrats. Even with all that advertising he's buying (while he's sitting by the beach in Bermuda) it appears to a have a negligible effect on his poll numbers when it's factored with his public appearances and debate performances that haven't been very receptive. Biden might have a better chance now because Bernie is going to experience the full force of the Dem establishment that cannot accept him as the nominee. Because they know full well that would be a suicide mission come November and would lose in spectacular fashion. And Dems are extremely desperate to get Trump out of office so the only plausible thing to do now is to get on the Biden Bus and tow it across the finish line. Then they can put Michigan Governor Witmer on the ticket and be done with this Bernie business. Once that's accomplished, Biden will be in essence, a second fiddle to Witmer for the rest of the campaign. They'll try to hide him as much as possible and put Witmer front and center. The Fake News media will help out with continuous puff pieces about having the first female Vice President and help downplay Biden's gaffes and diminishing mental acuity. It will appear like Witmer is actually running for President. We will hear how historic that will be.
Well, anyway, that is my new non expert opinion.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I might have to back out of my non expert opinion about Bloomberg winning the nomination or given the nomination at a brokered convention. He doesn't seem to have the appeal of Democrats. Even with all that advertising he's buying (while he's sitting by the beach in Bermuda) it appears to a have a negligible effect on his poll numbers when it's factored with his public appearances and debate performances that haven't been very receptive. Biden might have a better chance now because Bernie is going to experience the full force of the Dem establishment that cannot accept him as the nominee. Because they know full well that would be a suicide mission come November and would lose in spectacular fashion. And Dems are extremely desperate to get Trump out of office so the only plausible thing to do now is to get on the Biden Bus and tow it across the finish line. Then they can put Michigan Governor Witmer on the ticket and be done with this Bernie business. Once that's accomplished, Biden will be in essence, a second fiddle to Witmer for the rest of the campaign. They'll try to hide him as much as possible and put Witmer front and center. The Fake News media will help out with continuous puff pieces about having the first female Vice President and help downplay Biden's gaffes and diminishing mental acuity. It will appear like Witmer is actually running for President. We will hear how historic that will be.
Well, anyway, that is my new non expert opinion.
You could very well be on to something.

We're doomed!

Reactions: Treadmill

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Democrats know that neither Biden nor Sanders can beat Trump. But they know that if Bernie is the nominee he'll utterly destroy the downballot Dems. Moderate democrats will stay home and sit this one out. But, if Biden is the nominee, they think enough democrats will get out and vote to save at least the House and maybe even some state legislator seats.

The DNC gave Klobuchar and Buttigieg a Chinese menu of perks and inducements to drop out of the race, not coincidentally right before Super Tuesday, to prevent the moderate delegate counts from being spread too thin and allowing Bernie to amass a lead that they can't undo at a brokered convention. Klobuchar and Buttigieg are picking one from column A and 2 from column B, plus side dishes for their efforts.

Bernie isn't going to win squat in the South, so the Dems are hoping with Klobuchar and Buttigieg out, Biden can pick up enough delegates to at least stay in the game by convention time. Bernie will have the most delegates at the convention, but if it's not like 75% of them, the Swamp High Council (that's the Democrat Party leaders) will be able to figure out a way to get the nomination to Biden.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wow, when the Dem establishment says get in line, the Dems get in line in a heartbeat.
A sheepish quality to it.
Congrats Biden.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know what was a more epic fail; my prediction about Bloomberg or his flameout of his campaign. At least I didn't blow a half a billion on it.