Delayed Payment?

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter
I know who your "carrier b" is. As we talked about in PM, first sign of trouble with that joker and it is time to boogie. I am surprised it happened so quickly. Good luck with following up on this. His wording of the pay schedule is ominous.

Check your PM, I have sent you the name of a fellow EOer who has an active claim against this carrier, they can give you info that you may need to use. Let us hope you don't have to.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums
I would like the info you have on this carrier B, can you provide that to me?

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
If I can let him know,I will expose his company and their practices on EO if he dosent pay, then it might speed things along. If not, i will let every new driver know my experiences,and let them know a five star add, isnt the same as a five star carrier,eat the loss, and maybe have to go out of service untill I get paid by carrier A

Dont steal, the government hates competition. ~Ron Paul~

Last edited:

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
sometimes the best research is actually doing something.

It's also the most expensive way to research [don't ask how I know, lol].

But yeah I should have just signed with a larger carrier to start out with.

Bigger isn't always better - there are small carriers that will work with newbies, guiding them, which the bigger ones generally don't have time for.

But I think I did ok with Jung Express, they seem to know what they are doing.

Question is: do you know what they're doing? Did you sign a contract? If so, did you read it? It's pretty important, knowing for sure, rather than just guessing at what's supposed to happen, and who's responsible for what, & when.

Cant say that about carrier b. though
Sounds like you can't say that about yourself - but you can fix that, by getting and reading a contract, and questioning anything in it that isn't clear. The first step in protecting your rights is knowing what they are, and what actions on your part may cause you to forfeit them.
Educate yourself - it's worth the effort, guaranteed.

My rights forfieted?? I am educating myself, thats why I asked the question? But yeah I should have read the contract but I thought they were a Five Star carrier? Didnt know I would have issues collecting what was owed to me.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
My rights forfieted?? I am educating myself, thats why I asked the question? But yeah I should have read the contract but I thought they were a Five Star carrier? Didnt know I would have issues collecting what was owed to me.

This learning curve is a pain. Star ratings can be bought...with your and other drivers' money.

Next he will probably tell you the "prestige" of being contracted to a "Five Star Carrier" is payment enough.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The "I'll pay you when I get paid" is a common practice among some of the smaller carrier's. It's also a sign of them being either undercapitalized, too stubborn to factor the invoices OR just plain dishonest. It is very possible for them to factor that invoice and spend the money that is rightfully yours, then spend months claiming they havent been paid yet. I'm not saying everyone does it. I'm not saying this guy has done it. I am saying that it is possible and I would bet money that it happens more than any of us will ever know.

Just because they have the ability to become a carrier and buy some advertising on EO doesnt make them ethical. The trucking industry is full of shady characters and companies.

Newbies need to pay attention when we say its not as easy as just buying a truck and going to work. You better do your research and get with the right carrier or all your going to do is donate a few months of your life and your savings to pad somebody else's bank account.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a cheeseburger today. :beer:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
can I contact the customer directly? And find out if they paid the carrier.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
can I contact the customer directly? And find out if they paid the carrier.

Honestly, I have no idea....sorry. maybe someone else has better info on that.

I have heard of people going to the original customer...but have no personal experience at all. I would guess that every situation and every contract is different.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I have heard of people filing liens against a carrier's bond, but I don't know the protocol. I haven't heard how to go about that, maybe someone else here knows?

Jeffman and I ran across a vanner in Phoenix who used to run for "carrier b". The vanner has been owed $4,000 for six months. He no longer runs for the carrier, but his calls and emails have gone unanswered and the vanner is now talking to a lawyer.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
It's been recently pointed out to me that I was incorrect. Carrier must make payment to lessor, under FMCSA reg. 376.12(f), within 15 days.

I'm wondering if there actually is a carrier-lessor relationship here that has green formalized by a contract, or is the 'carrier' merely acting as a second-hand broker?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
To qualify as a FIVE STAR CARRIER you must pay for your ad. I imagine that's about it.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Does anyone ever notice the steady pattern here. Most (not all) but by far the majority of threads about payment issues revolve around the carriers that operate with vehicles signed on too multiple companies????

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Speak up! This is too important and too valuable to whisper it.

I'M MORE USED TO BEING ADVISED TO SHUT UP THAN SPEAK UP, BUT OK, LEO, THIS IS SHOUTING: GET YOUR HEARING AID ADJUSTED ALREADY!!!

That isn't shouting, that's just all caps in a tiny whisper font. Speaking up would be using the standard font that even old people can read without a magnifying glass.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone ever notice the steady pattern here. Most (not all) but by far the majority of threads about payment issues revolve around the carriers that operate with vehicles signed on too multiple companies????

Amazing ain't it? Yet there will be someone along shortly to defend the concept and encourage others to "jump in, the water is just fine".

It occurs to me that multiple carrier is just fine until you realize that your running too cheap and then somebody cheats you out of what little money they were supposed to pay. Those that think the water is "just fine", just haven't been burned "yet".

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

My be a thought to ponder for those seeking that greener pasture.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

I think it revolves around tighter profit margins as they likely have little to no customer freight and are trying to fight over loads that have money pulled off the top through brokerages or are bid low.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I think it revolves around tighter profit margins as they likely have little to no customer freight and are trying to fight over loads that have money pulled off the top through brokerages or are bid low.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

That is a part of it. The segment is made up of smaller carriers who admitedly cant produce enough freight to keep the trucks busy on their own.

Those are mostly startup operations and I support those who are trying to build something for themselves. The problem comes when they get in over their head (a common problem with 99% of small businesses). When the money dries up, guess who gets the shaft?

Some people can start up a small business and grow it. Some can't. When these drivers go out and buy a truck and start signing on to these multiple carriers, they have no idea whether that carrier is one that will be here next year or not. Its hard enough to make that call with the established carriers, I cant imagine trying to call the shot on these startups.