Delayed Payment?

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Is there a time limit your carrier has to pay you? I thought it was DOT regulation to pay you 15 days after the carrier recieves original BOL. But one of my carriers is telling me that they are waiting for the customer to pay them, and then they will send me a check? Is this common practice..having to wait for Peter to pay Paul before I get paid? Its really putting me in a bind, because I am new to this, and most of my start up capital is gone?

Dont steal, the government hates competition. ~Ron Paul~

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Not a DOT reg. It's a contract matter. If it were me, I'd be real hesitant to haul anything else for them. What happens if they never get paid? All the risk and costs are on you?

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Im not hauling anything else for them until I get paid..i think its a little misleading of EO to advertise companies as five star carriers.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Is there a time limit your carrier has to pay you? I thought it was DOT regulation to pay you 15 days after the carrier recieves original BOL. But one of my carriers is telling me that they are waiting for the customer to pay them, and then they will send me a check? Is this common practice..having to wait for Peter to pay Paul before I get paid? Its really putting me in a bind, because I am new to this, and most of my start up capital is gone?

Im thinkin your the guy who thought all the old timers were just saying stuff to discourage competition. Jump right on in there. You aint seen nothin yet :D

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Probably the best thing to do is stop hauling but don't stop calling.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
sometimes the best research is actually doing something. But yeah I should have just signed with a larger carrier to start out with. But I think I did ok with Jung Express, they seem to know what they are doing. Cant say that about carrier b. though

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter

I would like to know more, when the carrier/broker you speak of placed a load with you what was your agreement for payment from them? It is not unusual for payment on a load brokered to a carrier to be 30 to 45 days before payment is received for the load.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What does your written contract with the carrier say? That pretty much is the one and only answer.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Do you have a contract that says we will pay you every two weeks, every week, etc or is it in writing at all, a settlement agreement is YOUR protection, if your nearby go straight to the office and ask for payment, If that doesnt work and you dont have a written agreement specifying WHEN then you are at there mercy. Although OOIDA might be bale to help you get paid, also no carrier wants there name splashed all over this board so If it appears your getting the run around or being stiffed, Let them know you intend to describe the issue in full detail where ALL of the Companys and Drivers can see how they have treated a new driver. Be Professional but dont be baffled with BS either.....get out your contract and review and copy and email the part that says Subcontractor, or Hauler will be paid on the date and frequency etc and the signature of the company Rep.....thats a legal matter as long as you have that contract.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
sometimes the best research is actually doing something.

It's also the most expensive way to research [don't ask how I know, lol].

But yeah I should have just signed with a larger carrier to start out with.

Bigger isn't always better - there are small carriers that will work with newbies, guiding them, which the bigger ones generally don't have time for.

But I think I did ok with Jung Express, they seem to know what they are doing.

Question is: do you know what they're doing? Did you sign a contract? If so, did you read it? It's pretty important, knowing for sure, rather than just guessing at what's supposed to happen, and who's responsible for what, & when.

Cant say that about carrier b. though
Sounds like you can't say that about yourself - but you can fix that, by getting and reading a contract, and questioning anything in it that isn't clear. The first step in protecting your rights is knowing what they are, and what actions on your part may cause you to forfeit them.
Educate yourself - it's worth the effort, guaranteed.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Im looking over lease now,and cant find anything as specific,as to when I would get paid...just that I need to send in BOL immediatly. It didnt help matter that I mailed BOLs to their old address..they didnt update there paperwork or website. And when I try to find out info..the owner/dispatcher goes on a tirade about how he has 50 trucks and cant keep up with everything.and tries to parable his situation with me and my kids..saying "do you know what your kids are doing all the time" wtf..no, I dont...but I do know,they atleast have food, clothes and shelter...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
First rule taught in nursing school applies here too: if it isn't documented, it doesn't count. With nothing in the contract about when payment is due, how can you force them to pay what they owe, if they keep giving you excuses instead of payment?

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Just to clarify..I am not having any issues with Jung Express..they keep me busy, they return my phone calls and answer e-mails. ..just wish they had direct deposit...and the rest of my gas money will be invested in them.regardless if carrier b has a 900 mile run.
But my question, how would I get out of other lease..or do I just remain out of service with them.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I know who your "carrier b" is. As we talked about in PM, first sign of trouble with that joker and it is time to boogie. I am surprised it happened so quickly. Good luck with following up on this. His wording of the pay schedule is ominous.

Check your PM, I have sent you the name of a fellow EOer who has an active claim against this carrier, they can give you info that you may need to use. Let us hope you don't have to.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
sometimes the best research is actually doing something.

It's also the most expensive way to research [don't ask how I know, lol].

But yeah I should have just signed with a larger carrier to start out with.

Bigger isn't always better - there are small carriers that will work with newbies, guiding them, which the bigger ones generally don't have time for.

But I think I did ok with Jung Express, they seem to know what they are doing.

Question is: do you know what they're doing? Did you sign a contract? If so, did you read it? It's pretty important, knowing for sure, rather than just guessing at what's supposed to happen, and who's responsible for what, & when.

Cant say that about carrier b. though
Sounds like you can't say that about yourself - but you can fix that, by getting and reading a contract, and questioning anything in it that isn't clear. The first step in protecting your rights is knowing what they are, and what actions on your part may cause you to forfeit them.
Educate yourself - it's worth the effort, guaranteed.

Speak up! This is too important and too valuable to whisper it.