Deep Cycle Batteries???

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Like Dennis said, if you have room for two full size batteries, then you have room for two 6-volt batteries.

As for Optima batteries, I'm not a fan. Neither is the manager of the Autozone at home, who wishes Autozone would just quit carrying them because of all the problems and returns they have with them.

The Red Top, which are strictly starting batteries, cannot be used out here on the road. You can use either the Yellow Top (marketed as truck batteries), or the Blue Top (which are marketed as marine deep cycle batteries). Neither are deep cycle batteries, and are instead hybrid batteries, both still deigned primarily for starting engines. Optima's Battery Selector will direct you towards a marine Blue Top, based on the starting requirements of your boat's motor, not on how many hours you'll be offshore or your amp hour requirements. That should tell you something.

The biggest, beefiest Yellow Top is the D27F (Deep Cycle, Group 27, and weighs 53 pounds and will give you 66 amp hours. The biggest, beefiest Blue Top weighs is the D31M (Deep Cycle, Group 31, Marine) and 60 pounds and will give you 75 amp hours.

A couple of D31M Blue Tops are gonna cost you around $450. That's just a snotload of money for, like, no amps.

Two Trojan J305-AE batteries will run you less than $400 (mine were $160 each), and will give you 305 amp hours. That's four times the amps, in a true deep cycle battery, for less money than the Optimas.

If it's the 6-volts that is giving you pause, as it does a lot of folks, stop it. Once you connect the positive terminal from one of the batteries to the negative terminal of the other, you instantly have a 12-volt battery and all will be right with the world again.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The ONLY downside I would have going to the 6V system is I would have to buy a new battery charger. I have a Minn Kota 2 bank system for my house bank. I don't know if I could find a 2 bank 6V charger that I could mount on the truck.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The ONLY downside I would have going to the 6V system is I would have to buy a new battery charger. I have a Minn Kota 2 bank system for my house bank. I don't know if I could find a 2 bank 6V charger that I could mount on the truck.
When you connect two 6-volt batteries together, negative terminal of one to the positive terminal of the other (series), you instantly, and I do mean instantly, have one great big 6-cell, 12-volt battery, exactly the same as the one you've got now, except you've got an extra wall between three of the cells. You use the one remaining positive terminal and the one remaining negative terminal as the two terminals on your great big 12-volt battery, and charge it with a 12-volt charger. Why would you want to get a 6-volt charger to charge a 12-volt battery? (That's rhetorical).

I have four 6-volt batteries. They are wired together is series to form two 12-volt batteries. I then wired those two big batteries in parallel to double the amp hours. It's real easy, man.

2_6_battery%20bank..jpg

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When you connect two 6-volt batteries together, negative terminal of one to the positive terminal of the other (series), you instantly, and I do mean instantly, have one great big 6-cell, 12-volt battery, exactly the same as the one you've got now, except you've got an extra wall between three of the cells. You use the one remaining positive terminal and the one remaining negative terminal as the two terminals on your great big 12-volt battery, and charge it with a 12-volt charger. Why would you want to get a 6-volt charger to charge a 12-volt battery? (That's rhetorical).

I have four 6-volt batteries. They are wired together is series to form two 12-volt batteries. I then wired those two big batteries in parallel to double the amp hours. It's real easy, man.

2_6_battery bank..jpg

Yes, I both know and understand that. The problem I have it that my charger is designed to charge two 12V batteries, independently of each other, automatically. It has NO 6V settings.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Where's the diagram showing 4 6v batteries with all the wiring?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, I both know and understand that. The problem I have it that my charger is designed to charge two 12V batteries, independently of each other, automatically. It has NO 6V settings.
I don't think you do understand. Look at the graphic again. The two unattached wires are the positive and negative leads of the 12-volt output of what is NOW a SINGLE 12-volt battery. The two 6-volt batteries no longer exist insofar as charging and discharging is concerned. Once that "green" wire is connected, as if by magic, the 6-volt battery disappeared and in it's place is a 12-volt battery. 12-volt batteries are comprised of six cells of 2-volt each, and that's exactly what you have when you connect two 6-volt batteries with three cells each together. Once you connect them, they are no longer independent. They are merely six cells all strung together to create a 12-volt battery, and should be treated as such.

"Independently of each other" means nothing in this case. You could have 24 6-volt batteries wired in series parallel, and if the output is 12-volt, then you've got a single, monster, 12-volt battery right there. I have four 6-volt batteries connected together to make one large 12-volt battery. If I have a two bank charger or a five bank charger, doesn't matter, ALL of the positive leads from the charger would be connected to ONE positive terminal on the battery.

All "Independently of each other" means is that you can connect two batteries to the charger, and each battery will be charged as if each one has it's own separate charger connected to it. If you have that charger and you only have a single 12-volt battery, you can connect BOTH charging leads to that one battery, giving the battery twice as many charging amps as a single lead provides. For example, if it's a 30 amp charger, and each lead outputs 15 amps, each battery will be charging with an independent 15 amps charger. But it you connect both leads to a single battery, it'll get all 30 amps.

3b63908d0.jpg

Take a close look at the above. Each of those pairs (left-right) of 6-volt batteries are connected in series to each other positive to negative, making each pair a single 12-volt battery.

Then, all of the positives from each pair are connected in parallel, as are all of the negatives of each pair. The result is the positive and negative terminals at the far left and far right where all the connections go to, end create one really large 12-volt battery, and none of those 6-volt or 12-volt pairs even exist anymore. It's ONE battery, 12-volts. Period.

Whether you have a one bank, two bank, or whatever bank charger, you only have one battery there, with one positive and one negative terminal, so all of the leads go to the same positive terminal on the far right. All the negative leads go to ground, and you would, of course, ground the (now really big, single) 12-volt negative terminal.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can just about comprehend that and will look into the pair of 6v when it's time to replace the current battery.

Greg336

Active Expediter
I want to thank every one for there input on this, when I first started out I used 2 6 volt batteries and understand how to wire them to make 12 volts, they didn't last more than a year so that is why I switched over to deep cycles. I'm thinking now from what has been said here that I must have gotten some batteries that must have been sitting around for a while and lost there life sitting on a shelf for to long. I would like to know if anyone can tell me where to go to get 2 of the Trojan's? I live north east of Detroit?

Thanks,

Greg336

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
First place I'd call is
WorldWide Battery Warehouse
2287 Grand Commerce Drive Suite A
Howell, Michigan 48855
Telephone: 517-376-5170

Because they're a Trojan Master Distributor.

After that there's Battery Wholesale in Monroe, and a bunch of Batteries Plus stores.

There's a dealer locater at http://www.trojanbattery.com/tools/dealers.aspx

I haven't done business with any of them, but that's where I'd start if I were in Michigan. The pricing can and will vary wildly from these places.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
It's a long shot but if you or anyone you know is an avid golfer, you could check with your Golf course superintendent. They will be buying batteries right now for the upcoming season. Last year our course bought around a 150, he wouldn't have minded adding 2 more at his cost.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
JaminJin posted a great idea...while the Cargo Max has 2 Trojan "Floor Scrubber" batteries, my CV that my driver is in has 2 Trojan "Golf Cart" batteries..they are not as tall as the floor scrubber, but they are 3 yrs old and working just fine...