Deep Cycle Batteries

1CHINGON

Seasoned Expediter
Rev
I once purchased 3 batteries for a truck at Auto Zone. They were 1050 Amp batteries. They came with a 5 year pro-rated warranty, 1st year free replacement. They suggested purchasing marine deep-cycle batteries, as they are designed for rough seas, and could be very useful in trucking.
The only drawback is that you have to install them yourself.
The price was better than at a truck stop.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Marine deep cycle batteries are not deep cycle batteries. They are merely deep-er cycle than are cranking batteries. They are a hybrid battery, a hybrid between cranking and a true deep cycle battery. The marine deep cycle batteries of the type found at Walmart (a.k.a. cheap) are designed for the deep cycle drone-draw of a trolling motor, generally speaking up to about a 5 amp draw for various time periods. True deep cycle batteries are designed for higher amp draws for extended periods.

Cranking batteries and hybrids have "sponge" lead plates, where the plates are full of holes to get more surface area for the lead acid paste. True deep cycle batteries are insanely heavy and have solid lead plates.

There are cheap-ish deep cycle batteries that are labeled "AGM Deep Cycle" that are AGM batteries with sponge plates. Even though these are hybrids insofar as the lead plates, they are light years ahead of the standard "marine" deep cycle hybrid found at places like Walmart, Autozone, etc.

True deep cycle batteries which are AGM or gel aren't cheap by any means, but if you take proper care of them (correct charging regimens, proper monitoring, etc.) they will last 7-10 years or more. True AGM deep cycles include Concord Lifeline, Discover Energy, Odyssey, Deka and Trojan now has 'em, too.

If you want a cheap marine hybrid, the same kind that have the same charging requirements as your cranking batteries, then the ones Walmart, Autozone, and the like are what you want. Better AGM hybrids that need a little more particular charging regimens can be found at Sears, Cabela's and a few other places. High end (and high dollar) deep cycles that must be charged under far more stringent parameters can be found at THE SOLAR BiZ, Espar of Michigan, Batteries R Us, lots of places.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Chappy, I use Interstate batterys in my camping machine, they (2) are the large ones with the posts on the same end of the battery.(don't have the model number handy) I can easily stay in the boonies at places like Slab City for two weeks or longer without any problems. They are not cheapo deep cycle like i've TRIED to use, these actually work. If you need further info let me know.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
After going through (2) 12 volt "deep cycle" marine batteries from Battery Wholesale in leass then a yr, I talked to a EO member in laredo and on his advise called the Tech dept at Trojan battery. After talking to them and explaining how i used the batteries the total amp hrs of the equipment i use and how they were charged and discharged and then charged by the CV alternator...he made the suggestion of going with (2) 6 volt T-145 260 amp hr Golf Cart batteries. As Turtle said, they are heavy and expensive, but i haven't had a problem with them at all.

If you are not sure of what you need, call these guys, they will take all the time you need to help you, then you can buy the batteries from a local dealer....

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
After going through (2) 12 volt "deep cycle" marine batteries from Battery Wholesale in leass then a yr, I talked to a EO member in laredo and on his advise called the Tech dept at Trojan battery. After talking to them and explaining how i used the batteries the total amp hrs of the equipment i use and how they were charged and discharged and then charged by the CV alternator...he made the suggestion of going with (2) 6 volt T-145 260 amp hr Golf Cart batteries. As Turtle said, they are heavy and expensive, but i haven't had a problem with them at all.

If you are not sure of what you need, call these guys, they will take all the time you need to help you, then you can buy the batteries from a local dealer....

Amen to that!
After 20 years of full time rving I've gone through plenty of 12 vdc so called deep cycle batteries. Changed to golf cart and am well pleased. They have a greater reserve capacity and I believe are strnger.

Big Al :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Golf cart batteries are true deep cycle batteries, most with solid lead plates. It's the thicker, and taller, plates that make golf cart batteries perform so much better than the much shorter standard group format batteries. Each 6 volt golf cart battery weighs the same, or more, than a regular 12 volt battery, meaning all that extra lead gives more reserve time. The next step up from the gold cart battery footprint are batteries like floor scrubber batteries which are slightly taller and wider, with even thicker and wider lead plates. Floor scrubber batteries will give you around 400 amp hours per pair of 6 volt batteries. They're not cheap, tho, and require special charging considerations, but as with all things batteries, you get what you pay for.

Generally speaking, though, most expediters would do very well with sealed, maintenance-free golf cart batteries. The ones that require constant refilling with distilled water and will gas out and boil over while being charged, probably not.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
I used to use walmart marine batteries but they didn't seem to last even a full year. Of course at 80 bucks a piece, what do you expect. I have switched to SEARs diehard RV batteries they are heavier than the walmart battery and cost about 120 bucks a piece. The last set lasted almost 2 years. They got jacked up because I let them get worn all the way down, and after that they wouldn't hold a charge.

Any I figure as hard as I am on batteries, spending 360 bucks every 18 mos is not bad.