Debris Removal Charge?? Permission From Dispatch??

Brisco

Expert Expediter
What the Hell is this???

Reading over the "Blog" today, I saw where Phil had a delivery to a hospital. Delivery was loaded onto truck via a pallet. At delivery point, pallet had to be broken down and carted in by a 2 wheeler. Nurse, a woman, at delivery point asked if driver, Phil, could tote away the pallet so that "SHE" would have not have to. (I've never seen a woman nurse carting a PALLET out to a dumpster in my life before, have any of you??) Phil said he would have to call dispatch for permission and to have a "debris removal charge" approved. Nurse basically said......NEVERMIND.:rolleyes:

Again, what the hell is this???? Is FDCC that anal when it comes to simply leaving a pallet in the truck for a customer and having the driver just dump it off at a dumpster or at the next pickup location???

I've probably made dozens and dozens of deliveries over the years that started out "Palletized" and that had to be broken down at the delivery point. Yes, even at Hospitals. I've hauled away many many pallets at customers request without even thinking twice about it. Just thought of it as a courteous good customer service gesture, like when I delivered 16 cases of paper to a bank one time. It was loaded on my truck by pallet and hand carted inside. I would've never just leaned that pallet outside the bank and drove off. Or, back 20 plus years ago fresh out of the military when I drove a truck for my best friends Father where I would deliver 1-200+ cases of toilet paper to the largest Hospital in Lubbock. I would lug the pallets around with the jack, stock all the locations that needed stocking, put the pallets back on my truck and go on.

So, is FDCC really that finicky with what is on those trucks at all times. Would've anybody else stood there in front of a Nurse and said to them, "I need to call dispatch to get permission for a debris removal charge" before I tote off that 1 pallet for you"??? Or was this just a call the driver himself decided to make??? Me, I would've hauled that pallet away, against FDCC rules or not. Know what I mean.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
What the Hell is this???

Again, what the hell is this???? Is FDCC that anal when it comes to simply leaving a pallet in the truck for a customer and having the driver just dump it off at a dumpster or at the next pickup location???

Brisco,

It isn't FedEx,

it is the driver/owner who is anal about collecting a fee

I can count on one finger the time I got a pallet removal fee from FedEx and that was only because the customer put that in the instructions and dispatch accidentally disclosed the fee to me. I asked other times, once while in Washington where I wasn't paid for inside delivery and where there was no docks after being told there would be help with the deleivery and a dock for me to use. I stopped asking when they would

TO me this is unprofessional, completely and totally unprofessional. This shows me that the person who asked for the little things, thinks small, they are a prisoner of their company and can't or won't think out of the box. I heard how some drivers "demand" being compensated for seals used on their truck which is asinine.

My customers get my service not because I want every last penny out of them but because I want them to use me and my company TOGETHER. It is rather sad that people trip over dollars to get pennies but again not too many people really get how they can actually work and make money.

For example I have gotten a lot of work out of one customer a couple years ago who like having help with their product count. It was 20 minutes out of my time to help them break down the pallet, put the boxes in order and count the part numbers. The agent who I was working with said he will charge them extra for that and I told him don't. He didn't understand why until I told him that they already pay enough ($3 a mile to the truck) and this little time I spend makes up for that high rate which will allow us to be insulated from the competition. One other company (advertiser here) tried to get the work, came in half the rate but the customer refused to let them service them. I worked a while servicing that customer and then the parent company closed the place down which meant I didn't have the work.

You know thinking about something Nightcreature said in another thread - expediting is easy - which this seems to prove it in a way.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Certainly different levels of customer service.

Last edited:

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if i have to break down the pallet and take trash away there is charge for it

also we have three charge's

curb service drop at end of truck up to you get inside

inside the door thur door
room of choice put inside and install and take out trash

charges to second floor

31 min's d times starts and every 15 mins until we leave
always check with dispatcher, because after the pod is put in it is to late to ask for the extra charges
some load start out ok and end up better
there is no free lunch

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Not jumping on Phil on this in any way whatsoever, and guess I need to ask for forgiveness for using ????? a lot above(looks like I was yelling a bit), but it just struck me wrong, that's all.

I just cannot see leaving 1 pallet sitting inside a Hospital after a delivery, and then telling the consignee that there would be a charge to haul off that 1 pallet when they needed that pallet taken out. I mean, REALITY is, Expediters ARE just a bunch of delivery drivers, business owner or not, Period.

I fully understand Gregs part on collecting every dime you can, but this was 1 pallet. Now if it was 6 pallets, a bunch of dirty shrink wrap, empty boxes, straps, and such, Sure, I would've tried to collect extra. This was 1 pallet though.................

AND, my thoughts above has not changed any respect I have for The ATeam at all. They're still one of my faves here!!!

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if they say you have to take pallet's away , i tell em that is a 2nd stop and have to call dispatch to take it

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
if they say you have to take pallet's away , i tell em that is a 2nd stop and have to call dispatch to take it

I can understand charging for inside delivery, hand unloads, etc. But hauling one empty pallet away is customer service at it's most basic level. Calling dispatch and getting approval about something so basic takes ten times as long as just hauling the thing out.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
if i have to break down the pallet and take trash away there is charge for it

also we have three charge's

curb service drop at end of truck up to you get inside

inside the door thur door
room of choice put inside and install and take out trash

charges to second floor

31 min's d times starts and every 15 mins until we leave
always check with dispatcher, because after the pod is put in it is to late to ask for the extra charges
some load start out ok and end up better
there is no free lunch

Guess after 10 PLUS years of reading about and learning Expediting, I'm learning even more tonight.

I've read here and there, and know a little bit about, waiting times, second stops, inside delivery charges, and other stuff like this. But, have to ask..........

Are all these extra charges something the "Driver" himself has to be well versed in to get the extra revenue brought into the company from the customer, or should these charges be a discussion between the customer and dispatch?? I mean, when a new driver goes through orientation, is there a class on "upselling" extra services to bring in more money to the driver as he is standing there in front of the customer.

Yeah...Yeah...I know there's exceptions. Like if a driver gets to a delivery point and the 37 boxes of idgets he's delivering has to be taken up to the 3rd floor of a building that has no elevator after being told it was a dock to dock delivery. I myself would make a call on that for the extra revenue.

But, in referrence to what Geo mentoned above, shouldn't all these extra charges already be outlined within the BOL as driver is in transit to pick up delivery or outlined in BOL as driver is at pick up location? Will driver know in advance as he is leaving Kentucky with those 37 boxes of idgets heading to Iowa that he may have to be lugging those 37 boxes up 3 flight of stairs? If so, how many drivers be turning down that load knowing there may be physical labor involved at the delivery end??

So, guess what I might be trying to figure out here is....is there a lot of "Upselling" involved with certain companies to bolster/improve ones total revenue for each delivery??

With what Geo said above, I am kind of reckoning it to Carpet Cleaning Companies. In the ads they place for their services to the General Public, they say they'll clean your whole house for $39.95. Same Carpet Cleaning Company is also placing ads for carpet cleaners saying you can make $1500-$2000 a week easy. How many houses would a freegin Carpet Cleaner have to clean in a week to make $2000 at $39.95 a pop??? It was finally explained to me some years back by a friend who gave it a try once. Lots of UPSELLING while you're face to face with a customer. Honestly, I don't think I could ever try to "upsell" to a customer, especially just being a delivery driver. Know what I mean.

That is certainly evident by some of the responses here.

Guess I'm learning that tonight too.

Also betting the guys who know the "extra charges" involved by heart and go after those extra charges are the same guys that sit for days on end waiting for those 600-800-2000 mile runs.

Am I right................;)

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Brisco,

Gotta remember, White Glove is a different animal. I am not WG, but I have been called in to assist with many White Glove deliveries. WG is sold as Premium, and customers who use it usually know "nothing is free". And yes, there is a helper charge, breakdown, inside.del AND debris removal fees. Is it a big deal to take a pallet with you? No. Done it a couple times... however, it can be a hassle to get rid of. You cant legally throw it in someones dumpster, and if the next shipper dont want it, you are stuck. Plus, with WG, they may not see a regular dock for days... gonna ask the next museum, IT center, or DOD if you can throw away the previous customers trash? Dont think so. Me, I see docks, they usually dont care...WG... dif customer base.

In the case of WG, thats one more item to have to secure to protect your high $ freight. Plus, next time, when there's a bigger mess, customer will expect cleanup for free.

Nit picking? Maybe. Minor deal? Maybe. $ more on that run? Yep.

Again, 1 skid, no biggie.... but you just set a precedent.

As for last part, no...WG doesnt sit like we surface drivers do. Its not uncommon fot WG drivers I know to be pre-dispatched 2 or 3 runs ahead.

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
Brisco: After ten plus years of studying expedite seems you haven't been listening! Phil states he had a load picking up in Kansas City, where would you dispose of a pallet between Oklahoma City and Kansas City? Do you believe that you can just dump pallets at any truck stop ,maybe just throw it off to the side of a truck parking area,many do. How tight of a schedule was A Team on?
On occasion over the last 5 1/2 years we've had loads that the customer didn't request hand unload or inside delivey , they just wanted it after the load arrived, well, the only way to get paid for extra services is to get it ok'd through dispatch. I recently had a simlar situation at a hospital in Fremont ,CA. They wouldn't enter the truck to take off the load, so I called in and cleared it, took 10min.tops ,got 75.00 for unloading 2 pallets or I could have done it for free, I didn't and won't work for free. The dock foreman asked me to take the pallets, I told I couldn't as I had a pickup in 2 hrs in Palo Alto that required a box free of all debris and had no place to dispose of the pallets. However I did offer to throw them in the dumpster at the end of his dock, he declined.
There are many things that play into what an o/o can and will do, on the other hand a hourly delivery driver unloading toilet paper would be more likley to do as he gets paid by the hour and is an employee! An O/O in expedite has far more responsibility then a mere delivery driver, of course you should know that from all your years of studying expedite.
After ten years of learning about expedite it brings up a question-is learning about expedite a life long hobby for you or do you think you might pull the trigger in the next ten years or so and jump in , just wondering seeing you seem so uninformed as to state "that being a expedite O/O is really just being a delivey driver!" I guess your one of them porch guys!

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Who "owns" the skid?? Then who's responsibility is it to dispose of the skid?? Bottom line, my truck is not your trash receptacle. If you request that service from the beginning, different story. I'm sure you get paid for your work, don't criticize me because I expect to get paid for mine! :D

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Brisco,

Thank you for your comments. It's nice to have you on board as a blog reader, and, no, it does not come across like you are jumping on me.

Your post and others prompt the following responses:

- For those who have not seen it, the blog post in question can be read here.

- Debris removal is a service our carrier offers at a price. I'm not one to give away our carrier's services or my labor for free. Customer service is always a first priority but it comes in the form of delivering full value in return for the agreed upon price. When additional services are requested, additional prices are charged. Dieseldiva put it very well. "My truck is not your trash receptacle."

- Others made the good point that one person's trash, especially large deposits, is not appropriately placed in someone else's dumpster without permission. Indeed, on some trash routes, putting pallets in or near a dumpster may put whoever rents the dumpster at risk of a special pick up charge imposed by the trash removal company. Especially on the East Coast, people sometimes put padlocks on their dumpsters...for good reason.

- There were no traditional dumpsters at this facility. The dumpsters in the area were delivered by roll-off trucks, attach to buildings and are loaded from inside the building. Key cards are needed to move through the building. You don't just lug pallets to dumpsters here. They would have to be hauled away in the truck. Other dumpsters were of the politically-correct type (cardboard only). I was not about to be the uniformed FedEx driver who shows up on tape when someone calls security and asks, "who left that pallet here?"

- It was not one skid in this case but two. I stated one in my blog because it was one piece but in fact it was two skids that were banded together, one on top of the other. The shipper did this to elevate the freight higher off the floor in the truck to enhance reefer air circulation around the boxes that were strapped to the pallet.

- It was not a nurse that met us but the director of the research project in which this critical-shipment freight was used. I know nothing about the project itself but quickly gathered that this was a precious shipment.

- The way it works with debris removal at our carrier is that dispatch finds a place to which the debris will be delivered and appropriately disposed of. For us it has been most often a dumpster at a FedEx terminal. We are paid for those miles and the extra stop.

* After the debris is placed in the pre-arranged dumpster, we wait for the garbage truck to arrive and get a signature on the bill of lading that was created special for the debris (liability and security issues are often associated with the debris). The garbage truck driver or his route supervisor is the one that signs. Garbage truck drivers generally don't show up until around 4:00 or 5:00 a.m. and over a weekend it may not be until Monday. Detention time is paid after the first two hours. Depending on the debris, we might be required to stay awake and remain within 25 feet of the dumpster and keep it under observation until the garbage truck arrives and accepts responsibility for the "load." This work is done in shifts. Only one co-driver needs to be awake at any one time. If it is a solo driver, a second truck will be brought in. We do not get paid extra to remain in full uniform when eyeballing a dumpster but our carrier appreciates it when we do.

- The above paragraph (marked with an asterisk) is a joke and should be disregarded.

- Dreamer explains very well some of the realities of White Glove work and he is spot on with this load. Notice that after this delivery, we proceeded immediately to our next pick up, which was in Kansas. No stops were made on the way because there was no time.

The Kansas shipper maintains a super-clean facility. The loading docks are indoors and the dumpsters there are also of the politically correct type (glass bottles, tin cans, office paper, etc.). There is no way that we will arrive at this customer with a load of debris of our own, asking permission to dump it off there. They are ordering our truck to ship their stuff, not to accept another customer's debris.

Given our schedule, had debris removal been requested, dispatch would have probably put another truck on that portion of the load while we proceeded to our pick up. Or, they may have had us take the pallets with us and had a truck meet us along the way to complete the debris removal part.

The Kansas pick up was also a reefer load. Fresh on our mind were the instructions from recently-completed TVAL (reefer) training at company headquqarters in Oho to not carry extra crap in the back of your truck. White Glove customers can get picky about that. They pay for exclusive use trucks for a reason and do not like to see other people's stuff mixed in with their freight.

- Our hospital customer was in no way inconvenienced by what I did with the pallets. After wheeling them to her area in the building, I placed the pallets exactly where she requested, which was near a service entrance. Hospital maintenance or custodial people would take them from there. My guess is these pallets ended up in someone's pick up truck or garage as they were really nice pallets (brand new, heat treated, certified bug free, imported from a foreign country...and that is not a joke).

I mean, REALITY is, Expediters ARE just a bunch of delivery drivers, business owner or not, Period.

I agree. While many of our deliveries can get quite involved, we remain, after all is said and done, delivery drivers. But that does not mean we should not get paid for the value-added services we provide and the work we do.

Are all these extra charges something the "Driver" himself has to be well versed in to get the extra revenue brought into the company from the customer, or should these charges be a discussion between the customer and dispatch?? I mean, when a new driver goes through orientation, is there a class on "upselling" extra services to bring in more money to the driver as he is standing there in front of the customer.

I first learned about the debris removal service our carrier offers customers when Diane and I found ourselves on a load that had a debris removal stop. Knowing nothing about it then, I asked dispatch to explain it and they did. There are no classes on upselling extra services, but if a service is requested and provided, you can be sure that I'm going to get paid for it.

White Glove loads include for the customer free liftgate services. If a liftgate is needed at the pick up or delivery, there is no extra charge. On non-White Glove loads (Surface Expedite as they are known at FDCC), there is an extra charge for liftgate use. If a surface expedite load is booked without liftgate and the liftgate is later needed, I don't give away the service. As with debris removal, I call dispatch and get approval before the service is provided. That's how I get paid. Our carrier has a menu of services from which our customers order. I have learned that menu and deliver the services accordingly.

...But, in referrence to what Geo mentoned above, shouldn't all these extra charges already be outlined within the BOL as driver is in transit to pick up delivery or outlined in BOL as driver is at pick up location? Will driver know in advance as he is leaving Kentucky with those 37 boxes of idgets heading to Iowa that he may have to be lugging those 37 boxes up 3 flight of stairs? ...If so, how many drivers be turning down that load knowing there may be physical labor involved at the delivery end??

When customers are fully aware of what is required and fully honest, that is exactly how it works. When the load offer is made, we know what the services, pieces and weight are. However, it sometimes happens that things change because dishonest customers try to sneak extra weight onto a truck or under-report their needs in hopes of talking or intimidating the driver into giving the services away for free once he or she is on the load.

More often, things change for legitimate reasons, including the fact that the person booking and paying for the load may be a third party. The freight may pick up from company A in New Jersey and deliver to company B in Florida but the person booking the load may be with company C in California or even in another country. The paying party may assume that company A has loading docks and may even tell the agent exactly that when booking the load. But we may find out different upon arrival. That's when calls get made and charges get changed as appropriate to the services provided.

Also betting the guys who know the "extra charges" involved by heart and go after those extra charges are the same guys that sit for days on end waiting for those 600-800-2000 mile runs.

Am I right................;)

No, you are not right. Diane and I know our carrier's service menu but we do not sit and wait to cherry pick long runs (if I get your meaning correctly). If the load pays enough to make a profit, we generally take it.

Regarding upselling, that is not something we generally do at the driver level. We excel by delivering the services in ways that wow the customers.

In the hopsital delivery you mentioned, I was not upselling. I simply informed the customer that she was requesting an additional service for which there would be a charge. Remember, she was not a professional shipper or consignee. She was the director of a medical research project. She knew nothing about how freight is booked or charged. Until I explained it to her, she did not even know she was requesting an additional service. She was simply and innocently looking for a way to have the pallets removed.

The shipper booked and paid for the load in this case. For debris removal to be added to tote away the shipper's pallet, dispatch would have called the shipper to get the additional charge approved.

Upselling is done by the sales people who create customer relationships and the agents who book the loads. It's no different than fast food business that ask "Would you like fries with that?" or "Do you want to supersize your order?"

- Finally, I am delighted, Brisco, to read your response to my blog post. Blogs did not exist when Diane and I began researching the industry. I write my daily blog in part to give readers an idea of what it is like out here day-by-day. Naturally, experiences vary among expediters because we run with different carriers in different kinds of trucks, for different reasons. Still, an expediter wannabee can learn a lot from a seemingly mundane pallet story and be that much more prepared when he or she jumps in.

Your post, Brisco, and those made by others in this thread further serve that end.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well Brisco, I don't know about you but for me and my customers it is easy. I get paid and they get me and my truck. Labor isn't free, it is paid for. They are not asking me to paint the place or sweep up but to do a job for them. What is related to that job and I can do for them, I try to do.

Like I said it is unprofessional when you complain about one or two pallets.

I understand if you are in a van but I'm not applying that to van owners.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
A fecc driver described the white gloves best the other day to me. he called them "THE WANNA BE EXECUTIVES" LOL He said they are the rudest people to other drivers and they think their poo poo doesn't smell. The reason the topic even came up was because a white glove truck parked next to his fecc straight and they didn't even say hello or look in our direction.

At the end of the day we are all out here doing the same thing no matter how nice your truck looks or how you dress.

God bless everyone and stay safe

Brisco,

Gotta remember, White Glove is a different animal. I am not WG, but I have been called in to assist with many White Glove deliveries. WG is sold as Premium, and customers who use it usually know "nothing is free". And yes, there is a helper charge, breakdown, inside.del AND debris removal fees. Is it a big deal to take a pallet with you? No. Done it a couple times... however, it can be a hassle to get rid of. You cant legally throw it in someones dumpster, and if the next shipper dont want it, you are stuck. Plus, with WG, they may not see a regular dock for days... gonna ask the next museum, IT center, or DOD if you can throw away the previous customers trash? Dont think so. Me, I see docks, they usually dont care...WG... dif customer base.

In the case of WG, thats one more item to have to secure to protect your high $ freight. Plus, next time, when there's a bigger mess, customer will expect cleanup for free.

Nit picking? Maybe. Minor deal? Maybe. $ more on that run? Yep.

Again, 1 skid, no biggie.... but you just set a precedent.

As for last part, no...WG doesnt sit like we surface drivers do. Its not uncommon fot WG drivers I know to be pre-dispatched 2 or 3 runs ahead.

Dale

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
A fecc driver described the white gloves best the other day to me. he called them "THE WANNA BE EXECUTIVES" LOL He said they are the rudest people to other drivers and they think their poo poo doesn't smell. The reason the topic even came up was because a white glove truck parked next to his fecc straight and they didn't even say hello or look in our direction.

At the end of the day we are all out here doing the same thing no matter how nice your truck looks or how you dress.

God bless everyone and stay safe

I've heard that, but never seen it. I always say hi and chat... and Im juzt a lowzly vanner lol. Of course it could be my winning personality.... Im hard to overlook lol. I dont begrudge them the extra $$ at all... heck, I want my $$ too.....:)

Dale

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dale, I was snubbed a lot by my FedEx WG collegues, it seems they don't like many who don't wear purple. Only once with a van driver, and that was because he was p*ssed off at the world.

It reminded me of my time in Jackson Hole, parked at the Starbucks between a couple Prevosts and had to endure the glares and comments while I bought my $10 coffee.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Like I said it is unprofessional when you complain about one or two pallets.

I understand if you are in a van but I'm not applying that to van owners.

So Greg, a driver should just suck it up and take thr trash to the nearest Fedex to throw it away, no matter how much out of his way it is? Or just dump it somewhere? A WG cant show up at his next stop with trash...

And labor is NOT included in the regular price. They want lumpers, they PAY for lumpers.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I missed the part where Phil complained about keeping the pallets.

He didnt Scott... just informed the customer there was a charge to remove their trash and take it to a proper disposal site... (not someones dumpster lol). They declined, he stacked it up and left.

Dale