Death by DeSantis

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The facts are
danthewolf00 said:
Home economics is gone.....so is drivers education in schools.
I believe we need a life class that teaches cooking food without a microwave and how to change your cars tires in case of a flat and how to balance your check book.

These are all liberal talking points and should be taught in the home.
Smh
Talking points that promote or emphasize self sufficiency, personal responsibility and independence are usually contrary to the liberal nanny state, but anything's possible. However, the NEA and other educational powers that be who invented common core, banned Bible studies and the Pledge of Allegiance, while introducing sex education and CRT to elementary schoolers are the same ones who are phasing out classes in life skills and the trades. If there's an educational publication from the NEA or some similar group which encourages life skills such as cooking, balancing a checkbook or personal money management being taught at home I'd like to see it.

However, there's also a trend away from home economics and vocational classes due to the emphasis on college prep courses as stated in the following article, and it started decades ago.

"Our obsession with college readiness is grasping to an idealized world that might never have existed in the first place. It makes promises to our students that we can’t always deliver on. It’s leading to unpayable debts. It’s even leading some students away from reaching their actual potential."

Reactions: danthewolf00

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Talking points that promote or emphasize self sufficiency, personal responsibility and independence are usually contrary to the liberal nanny state,.....
That's exactly my point.... A well known EO poster says these should be taught in schools, a liberal position....
Home economics is gone.....so is drivers education in schools.
I believe we need a life class that teaches cooking food without a microwave and how to change your cars tires in case of a flat and how to balance your check book.
I said they should be taught in the home.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
It really should not matter. All districts in a state have similar curriculum.

Correct.

When checking the curriculum at Bowsher HS (part of Toledo Public Schools) I found that they offered the same classes are available here locally that I mentioned previously.

Unless it's a "special ed " program.

Would assume that at least some of those are tailored to the particular individuals being served, so it seems reasonable that there might be some variation.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
That's exactly my point.... A well known EO poster says these should be taught in schools, a liberal position....

I said they should be taught in the home.
When the parents are not working 3 jobs each to support the family....how do you bv expect them to have time to teach the kids anything.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Correct.

When checking the curriculum at Bowsher HS (part of Toledo Public Schools) I found that they offered the same classes are available here locally that I mentioned previously.

Would assume that at least some of those are tailored to the particular individuals being served, so it seems reasonable that there might be some variation.
Just don't assume special education means mental retardation.....which many do.