Death by DeSantis

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I did the ssd after my brain absess....relearning how to walk with out falling down was not fun at all.....worse part I was sober.
I'm sorry you had to go thru all that, but give thanks to the Liberals for pressing for such benefits. Otherwise...

#hypocrite

ATeam

Retired Expediter
#hypocrite
It seems to me that it is hurtful and unhelpful to brand others as hypocrites. Yes, it is common to see people whose actions do not comport with their words, beliefs and/or standards they hold others to. But that's true in all domains of life (career, politics, religion, family, health, self-discipline, etc.). If we're honest with ourselves, I think we all must admit that none of us live up to the standards we set for ourselves.

And I think we must also admit that it's easy to demand that others adhere to standards we set for them, since, in many cases, we can uphold such standards with little effort. But if the shoe was on the other foot, and others set standards that are hard for us to maintain but effortless for them, we would object.

This being the case, it seems hypocritical for someone to call someone else a hypocrite.

It seems more helpful to me to talk not about the other person's character or shortcomings, but talk instead about the logical inconsistency of a particular view or action. And it seems outright beneficial to frame our political arguments not in terms of another person's traits, but in terms of how a particular position or action will work for or against he best interests of the country.

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It seems to me that it is hurtful and unhelpful to brand others as hypocrites. Yes, it is common to see people whose actions do not comport with their words, beliefs and/or standards they hold others to. But that's true in all domains of life (career, politics, religion, family, health, self-discipline, etc.). If we're honest with ourselves, I think we all must admit that none of us live up to the standards we set for ourselves.

And I think we must also admit that it's easy to demand that others adhere to standards we set for them, since, in many cases, we can uphold such such standards with little effort. But if the shoe was on the other foot, and others set standards that are hard for us to maintain but effortless for them, we would object.

This being the case, it seems hypocritical for someone to call someone else a hypocrite.

It seems more helpful to me to talk not about the other person's character or shortcomings, but talk instead about the logical inconsistency of a particular view or action. And it seems outright beneficial to frame our political arguments not in terms of another person's traits, but in terms of how a particular position or action will work for or against he best interests of the country.
Sorry, Phil, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

It is indeed hypocritical to complain about others position on subjects while enjoying the benefits of those positions.

Reactions: RLENT

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
I'm sure it wasn't, but why are you so against liberal positions you yourself have taken advantage of.

#hypocrite
Some things the liberal Democrats do are not about we the people....more like they do things to either stay in power or to put as much cash in their pockets. Case in point the roads in Michigan........

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'll bet you would accept government disability and food stamps if qualified.
This is comparing apples and oranges. After having SS taxes withdrawn from every paycheck of our working lives, is there any one of us that will turn down SS benefits when we get to the right age or into a disability situation? Of course not. Personally, I'm taking my SS retirement benefits to get my money back from the government and there's no way it's #Hypocritical to do so. I was required to give them that money. Should I become disabled I'm going to get my money back for that as well.

Also, the American public is in no way beholden to FDR and the liberals for confiscating our money for what was intended to be a supplementary retirement plan. If we had been given the option of choosing our own investment options we would see a much higher return on the money that's taken without our consent to fund a govt ponzi scheme. But that's a subject for another thread.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Sorry, Phil, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

It is indeed hypocritical to complain about others position on subjects while enjoying the benefits of those positions.

It may be hypocritical, but calling someone a hypocrite does little to advance the political discussion in a positive way. Instead, it prompts those so named to dig in their heels and respond in kind.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Really dude? Worry about what is going on in Florida, and not what is going on in other states.
With that quip, I think DeSantis boosted Abram's campaign contributions by a lot. A number of liberals nationwide will now see supporting Abrams as a way to make a statement against DeSantis. He just gave Abram's a fundraising gift, enhancing her ability to raise money out of state she may not otherwise raise.

Don't get me wrong. I don't like to see money flowing into one state or district from other states in support of any state or local candidate. But in the present fundraising environment, that's the way it is, and DeSantis gave Abrams a boost.

Reactions: RLENT

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
With that quip, I think DeSantis boosted Abram's campaign contributions by a lot. A number of liberals nationwide will now see supporting Abrams as a way to make a statement against DeSantis. He just gave Abram's a fundraising gift, enhancing her ability to raise money out of state she may not otherwise raise.

Don't get me wrong. I don't like to see money flowing into one state or district from other states in support of any state or local candidate. But in the present fundraising environment, that's the way it is, and DeSantis gave Abrams a boost.
That's entirely possible, but DeSantis probably gave himself a boost as well - for fundraising and image development. I don't think there's any doubt he's running for president in '24 and he's building his resume along with keeping his name in the news better than any other Republican.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT and muttly