Death by DeSantis

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The COVID-19 death toll has now surpassed the 1918 flu epidemic.
Yes in total numbers, but in 1918 the total population was 1/3rd what it is today. But can you imagine what the death toll would be if it wasnt for modern medical technology?

Also need to point out that in the 1918 pandemic, the younger people were the ones who were dying. I thought I remember seeing that the average age of death was 28.

Reactions: ATeam and RLENT

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
They rank 18th in vaccinations. 32 states are worse. Plus, he focused early on in vaccinating the most vulnerable and the elderly. He has the right approach.

Yeah sure ... you betcha !

:clapping-happy:

After all, DeSantis' new Surgeon General pick appears to be a real winner: he appeared in a viral video with that lady doctor who was very, very concerned about demon sperm human women and doctors using "alien DNA" to treat their patients.

What could possibly go wrong ?

:tearsofjoy:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Doesn't change the fact that you do get less oxygen when wearing a mask because it traps carbon dioxide.
You're being overly generous with your use of the word "fact."

I own a pulse oximeter which measures the oxygen level in your blood. I've checked. Whether I'm wearing a mask for a short time or a long time, it makes no difference. My blood oxygen levels remain the same. I've done this in resting states, like when sitting at my desk or reading a book. I've done it when working out in the gym when my heart rate is elevated for an hour or more. Mask on or off, a mask makes no difference in my blood oxygen levels.

It is simply not true that you get less oxygen when wearing a mask.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
At the end of the day masks are not effective in stopping the spread of or catching in airborne virus...
The doctors at CIDRAP, including famed epidemologist Dr. Osterholm may agree with you, at least regarding masks of certain types.

This article is a long read and does not provide overly simplistic answers. As with many covid topics, this article's discussion of masks is nuanced. Nevertheless, I find it persuasive. It leaves me reluctant to say masks are the solution. I'm more inclined to say some masks, if properly fitted and worn, can help. But since few people in the general public properly wear properly fitted masks of a certain type, I think they are overrated as a solution.

The problem is not finding a mask that us up to the task. Those exist. The problem is getting people outfitted in such masks and training them to properly wear them.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Tell me something smart guy.. if the vaccination is so effective and it's so required..... Why does the government have to bribe, coerce, bulky, and mandate them?

Last time I checked if a product is needed.. it sells itself. Especially if a product is actually going to save someone's life.....
Check again. It's a good idea to keep up on your oil changes, but that idea does not sell itself. So too with tire inflation, signaling your turns, driving only when fully awake, and eating healthy. All good ideas, but they do not sell themselves. Millions of people do the opposite. Millions of people make millions of choices every day that are not in their best interests. Smokers will tell you smoking is bad for you, yet the light up.

Just because an idea is a good idea, it does not follow that it will sell itself.

Reactions: RLENT and Ragman

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You act like it's still an issue of being able to access the vaccine. You literally can walk into any Walmart right now which is everywhere and get one for free. They are going around the country in some places and doing pop-up vaccination sites where they're only getting maybe a handful a day.

It's not a problem of access.. it's the fact that people are able to think for themselves and do not want it!
If I asked you if you are you someone who is able to think for yourself, would you say yes? I presume you would.

Have you ever made a mistake? Since you are human, I presume you would answer yes to that question too.

But if you can think for yourself, why did you make the mistake? Does not thinking for one's self guarantee that you will think what you need to think to avoid mistakes?

Also, have you ever changed your mind about anything? If you can think for yourself, why would you ever need to change your mind once you have come to believe something is true?

When Diane and I were expediters (10 years on the road), we sometimes met truckers who reveled in telling us how much experience they had. They expected us to respect them and their views about trucking because they had been on the road decades longer than us. But the sad fact was some of these people hadn't learned a thing in all that time. They were as broke and unhappy in their work after decades on the road as they were when they first started. But if you asked them if they could think for themselves, a firm yes would come.

Excepting those with severe mental illnesses, everyone can think for themselves. That does not mean their perceptions are accurate and their ability to discern the truth is sound.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We the taxpayers are paying for both the vaccine and the antibodies, $30 per dose of the vaccine or $1500 per dose of the antibodies. Im sorry, the government should not be paying for anyone who didnt get the vaccine to get the antibodies, before the vaccine was available, I get it, but now there is a choice and because you didnt make the correct one, we shouldnt have to pay for your stupidity.
Vaccinated or not, a citizen kept alive by the antibody treatment will pay more in taxes than the cost of the treatment.

Vaccinated or not, a citizen kept out of the hospital by the antibody treatment will burden society less than one who went to the hospital for lack of the treatment.

Vaccinated or not, a citizen who quickly returns to work and one's family duties will benefit society more by receiving the antibody treatment than if he or she was hospitalized or killed by COVID-19.

Reactions: RLENT and Ragman