Death by DeSantis

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As Sex Scandal Brews, DeSantis Says FL GOP Chair Should Resign

I said nothing about this story before because the news items about it were based on unnamed sources. More details are emerging now. Not a good look for Florida Republicans and Moms for Liberty. Placing ethically challenged people in leadership positions does not serve their organizations well.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLENT

ATeam

Retired Expediter
DeSantis Call Ignored by FL GOP Chair

In response to the rape accusations being leveled against FL GOP Chair Christian Ziegler, DeSantis called for Ziegler to step down. DeSantis did not talk about the presumption of innocence. He did not say he wanted to wait for the investigation to be complete or for Ziegler to have his day in court. He called for Ziegler to step down.

Subsequently, Ziegler sent an email to party members in which he showed no sign of stepping down, and made no reference to DeSantis's call.

Once upon a time, if DeSantis would have called for a FL GOP party chair to step down, that would have been the result. Not any more. The FL GOP has gone all in for Trump and DeSantis's wishes are ignored.

Reactions: RLENT and Ragman

ATeam

Retired Expediter
DeSantis Hot on Iowa; Iowa Cool on DeSantis

DeSantis completed an Iowa campaign milestone today. He completed his goal to visit all 99 of that state's counties. Candidates sometimes use this strategy. They make a big deal out of visiting every county in the state. They do this to show people how much their vote means to them and to show how well they know and care about the entire state.

According to the 538 survey of all Iowa polls, DeSantis's Iowa high was 27.7% in June.; 19 points behind Trump. Today, DeSantis is at 17.5%; 27 points behind Trump, and just two points ahead of Haley, who is showing recent increases.

I know of no other presidential candidate who made the effort to visit all 99 Iowa counties this cycle. It takes a lot of time, money and effort to do that. DeSantis showed a lot of dedication, and he worked really hard to convince thousands of Iowa voters to vote for someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLENT and Ragman

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Florida GOP Sidelines and Muzzles its Party Chair

DeSantis ally and FL state GOP Chairman Christian Ziegler and his wife are embroiled in a sex scandal of their own making. He is defiant, seemingly thinking his high hypocrisy does not matter or should not have consequences. But it does matter and it has consequences. Per CNN:

"The leadership of Florida’s Republican Party voted Sunday to censure Chairman Christian Ziegler and remove his authority as he faces an investigation into sexual assault. ...

"In an emergency closed-door meeting in Orlando, the group also reduced Ziegler’s salary to $1 annually. Ziegler will no longer be able to hire or fire staff; speak on behalf of the Florida GOP; or raise funds for the party, though he retains his title as chairman. ...

"Florida GOP Vice Chairman Evan Power said he expects the full committee to officially remove Ziegler at a meeting in Tallahassee on January 8."

I have pointed out before how Republican Party entities in which the right-wing extremists gain control tend to self destruct or self-weaken. This is an example.

Related: Christian Ziegler's wife "Bridget Ziegler, 41, was appointed to the Sarasota County School Board in 2014 and has won reelection three times. The school board voted last week to ask her to resign. The move is non-binding and she has given no indication that she plans to step down."

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not going well for DeSantis. Time to go back to Florida and be a great governor again until Matt Gaetz takes over in 2026.
Ugh, I just threw up a little in my mouth, if Gaetz gets elected, I will for sure pack my stuff and move, would rather freeze in Ohio than live in a state with him as governor.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Then they should say that is their belief instead of speaking definitively.
That's not practical and it's not what people do in everyday usage.

I don't say I believe I have a 2 pm appointment today or it is my opinion I have an appointment, I say I have the appointment. About COVID-19, I don't say it is my opinion the virus is an airborne virus spread through the air. I say it is spread through the air. About a political figure, I don't say I'm voting for candidate X because I believe she is the best person for the job. I say I am voting for X because she is the best person for the job.

In every case, the notion of belief or opinion is implied and commonly understood.

• Haha
Reactions: RLENT and muttly

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Are you suggesting no one is smarter than you? Are you denying that some people are way smarter than others?
Its funny, a good friend of mine (who is a Trump supporter) always used to tell everyone that you dont have to be the smartest person, you just need to surround yourself with the smartest ones. Trump believes he is smarter than everyone else, this is his downfall.

Reactions: Ragman and RLENT

ATeam

Retired Expediter
No, I just don’t assume someone is way smarter because some have a title, position, or letters after their name.
That's fair. It's also a safe bet that if someone has completed the academic and/or experience requirements to earn that title, position or letters after their name, they are highly educated and likely smart, at least in some areas of life.

I have known many highly educated people in my life, and granted, some of them have a hard time getting things done that come easily to others who are not highly educated.

"Smart" is a relative term. Before saying someone is smarter than someone else, it's helpful to specify exactly what you are talking about. In other words, "context matters." And I hate to use that phrase given how a very smart person recently used it in a way that ignited a national controversy.

I happen to be highly educated, and as 10 years experience shows, I'm also smart enough to be a successful truck driver.

Reactions: Ragman and RLENT

ATeam

Retired Expediter
DeSantis Campaign Postmortems Begin

While DeSantis will still claim he is a live presidential candidate, the DeSantis campaign postmortem articles are beginning to appear. Excerpts from this one are below.
------------------
With the first votes in the Iowa caucuses only weeks away on Jan. 15, Mr. DeSantis has slipped in some polls into third place.

... a slow-motion implosion of the relationship between the campaign and an allied super PAC left even his most ardent supporters drained and demoralized

The super PAC’s chief executive quit, the board chairman resigned, the three top officials were fired and then the chief strategist stepped down — all in less than a month, ...

Cash is scarce as the caucuses near.

Federal records show that ... the DeSantis campaign is on pace to spend significantly more on private jets — the governor’s preferred mode of travel — than on airing television ads.

... the DeSantis candidacy has been hobbled for months by an unusual and unwieldy structure — one top official lamented that it was a “Frankenstein” creation — that pushed the legal bounds of the law that limits strategic coordination and yet was still beset by miscommunications.

Mr. DeSantis’s decision to delay his entry into the race until after Florida’s legislative session concluded meant he was on the sidelines during Mr. Trump’s most vulnerable period last winter.

Then, once Mr. DeSantis did hit the trail, he struggled to connect, appearing far more comfortable with policy than people as awkward encounters went viral.

The Trump team used its insider knowledge of [DeSantis's] idiosyncrasies and insecurities to mercilessly undermine him,

Mr. DeSantis tacked to the right to win over Trump voters, undercutting his own electability case with hard-line stances, including on abortion.

... after the first indictment, soft Trump supporters returned en masse to the former president. And Mr. DeSantis soon lost ground to Ms. Haley ... .

His standing in national polling averages has steadily declined, from above 30 percent in January 2023 to close to 12 percent today.

the DeSantis campaign and super PAC have been at loggerheads over advertising strategy for months.

But by early fall, the super PAC that had been given $82.5 million from Mr. DeSantis’s old state account and a $20 million check in March from top DeSantis donors was nonetheless facing a cash shortfall.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
FL College Admission Test Scores Plummet

When new education policies are adopted, they take a while to have an effect. We're beginning to see the effects of the DeSantis/Right-Wing policies now.

• Haha

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
FL College Admission Test Scores Plummet

When new education policies are adopted, they take a while to have an effect. We're beginning to see the effects of the DeSantis/Right-Wing policies now.

Largely due to Covid:
IMG_5391.jpeg