Death by DeSantis

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Desantis is still better than Biden or harris.
Probably, but I would still choose Trump over Desantis because the only thing Trump worships is the all mighty dollar, Desantis sits on top of his religious high horse. Trump was at least smart enough to know that the reason there was not a "red wave" last November was because of one issue, abortion.

Reactions: danthewolf00

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Probably, but I would still choose Trump over Desantis because the only thing Trump worships is the all mighty dollar, Desantis sits on top of his religious high horse. Trump was at least smart enough to know that the reason there was not a "red wave" last November was because of one issue, abortion.
No not just abortion....because Biden administration choose to withhold information about Biden's classified documents till after midterms.

Reactions: muttly

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
And those documents would still be in his garage if it was not for Trump keeping all those documents and saying they were his.
The fact that trump kept the documents in a secure room backed with secret service agents vs. Biden's garage, a closet on a college campus, and somewhere in Chinatown...also Biden took classified documents as a senator which he had no business having.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The fact that trump kept the documents in a secure room backed with secret service agents vs. Biden's garage, a closet on a college campus, and somewhere in Chinatown...also Biden took classified documents as a senator which he had no business having.
Plus, the Biden Administration was involved with the raid on Trump and a contradiction from their public statements about it:

27D36389-78EB-434D-B5FD-A10FAEAE0291.jpeg

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
More on the previous post with link:
0B7FC4B3-BBDD-4825-8AA1-90770FCDB954.jpeg40C56FDF-7842-4F72-9878-6471CF1A246D.jpeg8B2449E0-49AA-4F16-A7D7-0A54D8E0EE72.jpegFAAA22CA-7B4A-4A7A-8A77-B564B62CA572.jpeg
69DC2CB2-007E-4FAD-B0C2-68D06409449C.jpeg18EA0685-A045-4D69-9194-EEA6441C2953.jpeg

ATeam

Retired Expediter
DeSantis Signs Unpopular 6-Week Abortion Provision Into Law

This is an odd one.

"Gov. Ron DeSantis quietly signed legislation Thursday that would ban most abortions after six weeks in Florida, a move that will weigh on his likely 2024 presidential bid."

"DeSantis signed the measure just hours after the Legislature passed it Thursday afternoon. But he didn’t announce publicly that he did so until after 11 p.m."

"The latest polling on the proposal by the University of North Florida in late February found that 75% of state residents either somewhat or strongly opposed the six-week ban, including 61% of Republicans." (Source)

It seems strange that likely presidential candidate DeSantis would sign this bill and thereby link himself to a measure that is so strongly opposed by Democrats, Independents, AND Republicans. It's strange too that he would sign such a bill literally in the dead of night.

Obviously, he wanted this bill, but it's not one that will make things any easier for him on the campaign trail. Republican primary voters already know him to be pro-life. Why would he sign a provision that pushes too far and does something 61% of Republicans oppose? And, given the importance of this bill, since it affects the lives of many Floridians in a most personal way, why is he avoiding the spotlight when signing it into law?

Like I said, this is an odd one. If anyone explain how DeSantis is well served by signing this bill, and signing it in the dead of night, I'm all ears.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Like I said, this is an odd one. If anyone explain how DeSantis is well served by signing this bill, and signing it in the dead of night, I'm all ears.
I'm sure a couple of our esteemed members will come up
with some kind of nonsense.

• Haha

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

This is an odd one.

"Gov. Ron DeSantis quietly signed legislation Thursday that would ban most abortions after six weeks in Florida, a move that will weigh on his likely 2024 presidential bid."

"DeSantis signed the measure just hours after the Legislature passed it Thursday afternoon. But he didn’t announce publicly that he did so until after 11 p.m."

"The latest polling on the proposal by the University of North Florida in late February found that 75% of state residents either somewhat or strongly opposed the six-week ban, including 61% of Republicans." (Source)

It seems strange that likely presidential candidate DeSantis would sign this bill and thereby link himself to a measure that is so strongly opposed by Democrats, Independents, AND Republicans. It's strange too that he would sign such a bill literally in the dead of night.

Obviously, he wanted this bill, but it's not one that will make things any easier for him on the campaign trail. Republican primary voters already know him to be pro-life. Why would he sign a provision that pushes too far and does something 61% of Republicans oppose? And, given the importance of this bill, since it affects the lives of many Floridians in a most personal way, why is he avoiding the spotlight when signing it into law?

Well he did the same thing when it came to the auto insurance changes a year or so ago, the bill passed almost unanimously, and he vetoed it. Its almost like he has his own personal agenda and he is going to carry it out regardless of whatever anyone says.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm sure a couple of our esteemed members will come up
with some kind of nonsense.
It's not nonsense I'm looking for. DeSantis enacting an abortion law that even the majority of Republicans oppose was not an accident. Even though he signed it into law under the cover of darkness and held no public signing ceremony, he voiced support of it every step of the way. But I'm at a loss to explain why he would intentionally and irrevocably link himself to a law that is so out of step from what the voters want.

Maybe the reason is he genuinely believes in a total abortion ban and he does not care what the people think. Maybe he is doing this because he has deep seated convictions that compel him to do this.

Or maybe he figures the only way to beat Trump in the primary is to differentiate himself from Trump with an extreme anti-abortion position. Maybe he believes the primary voters have similar beliefs and he has no choice but to cater to them first. If you don't win the primaries to become the nominee, what the rest of the population believes means nothing.

If that's what's up, maybe DeSantis is planning to campaign hard-right in the primaries and then betray those principles to campaign more toward the center for the general election, and maybe then return to hard-right after he wins the general election.

Those thoughts are all maybes and they require speculation and mind-reading to entertain. What we know for sure is DeSantis signed this bill in a highly unusual manner, and it's now a law that is clearly out of step with what the voting public wants. A ban of all abortions after 6 weeks, a time period when many women do not even know they are pregnant, is an extreme position. It's extreme because most people, including most Republicans, don't want it. Yet he signed the bill. So this is now his cross to bear.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Well he did the same thing when it came to the auto insurance changes a year or so ago, the bill passed almost unanimously, and he vetoed it. Its almost like he has his own personal agenda and he is going to carry it out regardless of whatever anyone says.
I'm not familiar with the auto insurance bill. If it passed unanimously, why was the veto not overridden?

• Haha

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm not familiar with the auto insurance bill. If it passed unanimously, why was the veto not overridden?
I found an article that describes it:

Once again the people who would have lost the most money on it (the lawyers) found a way to keep their money rolling in by convincing Desantis to veto it.

• Haha

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Desantis is the governor of Florida he can veto or sign in to law just about anything he wants as long as it is constitutional.....I mean Biden does it with executive orders with out the backing of Congress.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The new abortion bill allows several exceptions for rape, incest, human trafficking, fetal abnormalities and the life of the mother, so it's not so bad as some reports are describing it. However, it does seem odd that DeSantis would agree to the basic 6-week limit, when the existing 15-weeks appeared to be something most FL Republicans could live with, along the exceptions listed in the new bill.

"Because the ban had already passed through the Senate, members of the House took up that version of the bill. It's nearly identical to the House bill in that it bans abortion after six weeks of pregnancy with exceptions for rape, incest, and human trafficking up to 15 weeks...
It also maintains exceptions to save the life of the mother and, up to the third trimester, in cases of fatal fetal abnormalities — as long as two physicians certify those circumstances in writing."

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The new abortion bill allows several exceptions for rape, incest, human trafficking, fetal abnormalities and the life of the mother, so it's not so bad as some reports are describing it. However, it does seem odd that DeSantis would agree to the basic 6-week limit, when the existing 15-weeks appeared to be something most FL Republicans could live with, along the exceptions listed in the new bill.

"Because the ban had already passed through the Senate, members of the House took up that version of the bill. It's nearly identical to the House bill in that it bans abortion after six weeks of pregnancy with exceptions for rape, incest, and human trafficking up to 15 weeks...
It also maintains exceptions to save the life of the mother and, up to the third trimester, in cases of fatal fetal abnormalities — as long as two physicians certify those circumstances in writing."

In theory it's one way, in practice it's another. Google "Florida Abortion Horror Stories" and you'll see cases where the law had awful consequences. There will be more now that it's been moved to six weeks. And you can bet your bottom dollar that these awful consequences will be campaign fodder for anyone running on an abortion rights platform.

The majority of Americans don't want this, but DeSantis and other Republicans in power are forcing it on them. There will be push-back.