Death by DeSantis

ATeam

Retired Expediter
What makes some think they wouldn’t indict DeSantis?
1. DeSantis does not illegally possess and store classified documents in his home.
2. DeSantis did not interfere with Congress when it tried to certify the election.
3. DeSantis did not violate any election laws in Georgia.
4. DeSantis did not pay hush money to a sex worker.

Trump is being investigated for each of these by prosecutors and/or grand juries. DeSantis is not.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Four polls, not one. Not an outlier at all. Four polls saying the same thing.
For the group of polls for the month of Feb '23 it's most definitely a statistical outlier. Maybe it's a coincidence that that group yields the same results in its three previous polls.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
1. DeSantis does not illegally possess and store classified documents in his home.
2. DeSantis did not interfere with Congress when it tried to certify the election.
3. DeSantis did not violate any election laws in Georgia.
4. DeSantis did not pay hush money to a sex worker.

Trump is being investigated for each of these by prosecutors and/or grand juries. DeSantis is not.
1. Executive power allowed Trump to declassify documents, so no classified were stored or illegally possessed.
2. Trump didn't interfere with Congress. Objections are constitutionally allowed. Dems objected in previous Presidential election as well.
3. No Ga. Election laws were violated by asking run a clean election and find fraudulent votes.
4. The " sex worker" was extorting Trump. So any law that was broken was done by the extortionist, not the victim.
5. Given that the DOJ is compromised with political hacks influenced by lawfare associates, it's reasonable to believe that they are currently looking at any angle to investigate and indict DeSantis on anything they can concoct and spoonfeed to a partisan grand jury to influence the next election.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
For the group of polls for the month of Feb '23 it's most definitely a statistical outlier. Maybe it's a coincidence that that group yields the same results in its three previous polls.
Just to be clear, these are the four polls I'm talking about.

Polls are polls and they often change. Except for political junkies who love this kind of stuff, there is a long way to go before the polls count for much of anything.

"A wave of recent polls showed that Trump — the oafish man who has brought the GOP a string of electoral losses — saw his lead over DeSantis surge in February. An Emerson College poll shows Trump with a massive 30% lead over DeSantis, with support for the Florida governor dropping 4% from January’s numbers.

"A new Yahoo News/You Gov poll gives Trump an eight-percentage-point lead over DeSantis, which is a 12-point swing from an early-February poll by the same group that showed DeSantis up 2% over Trump.

"This Trump-heavy swing happened while DeSantis was making what are theoretically all the right moves to win over the GOP base. He has been attacking Disney, making life difficult for Florida teachers, combatting diversity in state colleges and generally doing what one does to court voters who survive on a steady diet of Fox News and conspiratorial Facebook memes."
(Source)

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
And yet desantis has not thrown his hat into the presidential ring. Desantis cares about the people in his state so I think he would make a great president because that would translate into the same job.
Also hes much more toned down compared to trump.

Reactions: muttly

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And yet desantis has not thrown his hat into the presidential ring. Desantis cares about the people in his state so I think he would make a great president because that would translate into the same job.
He also sits way atop his religious high horse.

• Haha
Reactions: danthewolf00

muttly

Veteran Expediter
I think the gist of it with the Left is that they want to see a knock down drag out fight between Trump and DeSantis throughout the primary season so that will help greatly in getting a Democrat elected again as President. That way the Dems can continue their reign of awesomeness which has rained down on the rest of us.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
... there is a long way to go before the polls count for much of anything.
Absolutely, assuming they ever count for anything at all.
"A wave of recent polls showed that Trump — the oafish man who has brought the GOP a string of electoral losses — saw his lead over DeSantis surge in February. An Emerson College poll shows Trump with a massive 30% lead over DeSantis, with support for the Florida governor dropping 4% from January’s numbers.

"A new Yahoo News/You Gov poll gives Trump an eight-percentage-point lead over DeSantis, which is a 12-point swing from an early-February poll by the same group that showed DeSantis up 2% over Trump.

"This Trump-heavy swing happened while DeSantis was making what are theoretically all the right moves to win over the GOP base. He has been attacking Disney, making life difficult for Florida teachers, combatting diversity in state colleges and generally doing what one does to court voters who survive on a steady diet of Fox News and conspiratorial Facebook memes."
(Source)
This from an opinion piece by Rex Huppke, a flaming liberal DeSantis-hater if ever there was one. The Democrats must be starting to worry about DeSantis; his book just came out and is #1 on the Amazon best-seller list, and he's getting more TV interviews and national exposure. They want to run against Trump. They must figure since he lost to Biden, he would lose to any candidate they run against him - and they may be right.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Absolutely, assuming they ever count for anything at all.
Yep. Thinking about that, in the grand scheme of things, how do polls matter at all? If we had no polls and only elections, would the final result change?

But thinking a bit more about this, polls do make differences sometimes. I remember in 1998 when Jesse Ventura was running for Minnesota governor as a third-party (Independence Party of MN) candidate. He was widely dismissed as a joke candidate by many voters and the media. But then news came that he was polling over 20% in a three-way race.

Instantly, the media accepted that he was a contender, and that made a difference in the coverage and exposure he received. When he went from little support to that level of support in the polls, it was a game changer. Public opinion snowballed, and Ventura went on to win the election. When Ventura polled over 20%, the idea of a wasted vote for a third-party candidate disappeared. When people realized their vote could be used to defeat both the Democrat and Republican candidates for governor, that's exactly what they did. When the media realized he was a contender, they shifted off the misfit former wrestler theme to treating him as a serious and viable candidate whose public policy views had merit.

Also, these polls are crucially important to those who pay to do them. News organizations pay to have polls conducted all the time. I suppose that's because that makes news and it gives them something interesting (to them at least) to report. Horse-race polling is an ongoing thing with the press. They wouldn't do it if it did not benefit them in one way or another.

In addition to the media polls and the occasional polls run by academic institutions, a ton of private polling goes on. Political parties, candidates and potential candidates pay to have such polls done all the time. They do this because they want to know what the people are thinking, so they can develop strategies to win their elections or public policy initiatives.

Outside of politics, businesses conduct polls all the time. Even in the small business Diane and I run, our franchisor runs a continuous poll of our gym members to determine their customer satisfaction level and to encourage and collect customer feedback. Our gym members are continuously polled because the feedback the polls produce is extremely valuable to the business owners and the franchisor.

So, I guess it is fair to say polls have their place. Poll results do indeed influence public opinion and they are extremely useful to those who pay to have the polling done.

This includes bad-faith polling which is also done by some. A poll is designed in advance to produce a result that is beneficial to the one commissioning a poll. Those poll results are then published and promoted in an attempt to use them to shift public opinion in their favor. The use of bad-faith polling is the reason so much emphasis is placed on polling methodology when a poll is evaluated.

But that is of little concern to the bad-faith pollsters. Once they obtain their desired headline, it's mission accomplished and time to move on to the next bad-faith poll they have in mind.

Last edited:

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Wow, just when you thought the government of Florida could not get any worse, crap like this pops up. I doubt this goes very far but to even bring it up is proof the GOP really isnt about freedom.

• Haha

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Wow, just when you thought the government of Florida could not get any worse, crap like this pops up. I doubt this goes very far but to even bring it up is proof the GOP really isnt about freedom.
It's a stretch to characterize the entire GOP party of FL with the nonsense of one renegade state representative. Both parties have their share of nitwits, and this guy is just one example.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Trying to understand that legislator's reasoning, I found this: "'Paid bloggers are lobbyists who write instead of talk. They both are professional electioneers. If lobbyists have to register and report, why shouldn’t paid bloggers?' Brodeur said of his bill." (Source)

I'm not sure where he gets his information about paid bloggers. But even if what he says is accurate, in what way are the interests of the people of Florida served by such a registration requirement? Are paid book writers next? And what about paid teachers or paid campaign workers who are indeed "professional electioneers." Should they register too? Why are paid bloggers included and other paid operatives excluded?

Also, what does "paid electioneers" really mean anyway.

This is why I do not run for public office. It would not take me long to raise such questions from the floor and be thereby left with no friends in the chamber.

Last edited:

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Because they get paid to promote things or people. There is a gymnastics athlete who makes an average of $31,000 a post.....she is only in her junior year of college and is a millionaire.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Because they get paid to promote things or people. There is a gymnastics athlete who makes an average of $31,000 a post.....she is only in her junior year of college and is a millionaire.
I hope she's paying her fair share of taxes.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Looks like our dictator (governor) has decreed that any entertainment not sanctioned by the church will be punished.

When talking about him, the phrase "keep Florida free" keeps being used, but I guess that only refers to white straight church going men......

I have no desire to view a drag show, but for those who do why should they be punished?

• Haha