Dear Recruiters of reputable companies

Dougriss

Rookie Expediter
I am new to the game when it comes to expediting. In fact, so new that I am looking for immediate employment. Alas, a few places that I have spoken with will not even try to qualify me because I have no experience with freight.

My deal is that I spent over 12 years on the roads as a touring musicians driving sprinters, 15-pass, cargo van and dock level trucks. I have driven almost every major interstate in this country. I lived and breathed the road (most times gone 4 to 6 months without seeing home). That is the lifestyle that I know.

I have spent the past few years going to college. I am not one to sit still in the same place. Truthfully, I only feel at home driving. Some people have said for me to just get my CDL, but I do not have the money for obtaining my CDL and I have heard horror stories about the CDL mills that train people to point 40 tons down the highway without a care of the driver's safety (nor the general public).

What I have to offer is a hard work ethic, 100% clean driving record, clear background, no drug use or alcohol abuse and a determination to make money for myself and the company that I drive for.

As I said, I have been told by a couple places that they would not qualify me because of the experience that I have not had with freight even with a clean MVR.

So who knows a legit company that has a need for safety driven, hard working, road warrior? And by legit, I mean a company that has a website with their company info on it.

Thanks for reading.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
For most carriers you don't even need a CDL for a Sprinter. But obtaining a Class C CDL with HAZMAT endorsement requires virtually no money (about $125 I think for the CDL and the HAZMAT endorsement, but it varies by state), and if you own your own Sprinter nearly every carrier will qualify you unless you have a criminal record or a bad MVR.

Expediting is a business, not an employment opportunity, so you need to come into it with that mindset. If you drive someone else's truck, you are leasing the truck from the fleet owner and you are running your own business, rather than being the fleet owner's employee.

If you want to drive someone else's truck, it needs to a with a Class B CDL (which doesn't require paying a bazillon dollars to go to school to get) and driving s straight truck. If you don't want to get a CDL, you're better off driving your own Sprinter or cargo van, because you can't make any money splitting Sprinter/cargo van revenue with an owner.

If you still want to drive a van for someone else, talk to Panther. But I'm tellin' ya, if you want to get into this business driving a van, it needs to be your van.

If you're serious about getting into expediting, spend a few days at some truck stops talking to drivers of cargo vans.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Kinda bad timing to start expediting... my POV :(

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EO Forums mobile app

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Kinda bad timing to start expediting... my POV :(

For a van that is probably true. Staights or tractors, not so much. Still pretty busy. Van market is over-saturated right now verses the available freight I see.

TropixBum

Active Expediter
and I have heard horror stories about the CDL mills that train people to point 40 tons down the highway without a care of the driver's safety (nor the general public.)

Can anyone say SWIFT.............Wait, did I say that out loud? :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Dougriss

Rookie Expediter
Thanks for the honest responses.

If I had the money to purchase my own sprinter, then I would do that. My option is to lease. With that being said... is it really that hard to make ANY money doing so?

I finally got a call back and an orientation date set up for a company based out of Louisville, KY. The only thing that worries me is that I read about people being stuck somewhere for not just days, but weeks at a time. Is it really that bad right now?

I have contacted Panther but have not gotten a response back from them.

The company that I got the call back from was A. Blair Enterprises. I have read a few things about them on here and it is mixed reviews. Does anyone have any person dealing with them or their drivers?

Again... thanks for all of the info, so far. This is a big decision for me and I am trying to do the right thing asking questions and and discussing things.

Thanks again...

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've heard and good things as well as bad things about them. My advice is to not lease from them, ask them for a driver position. Also you may check with Matrix out of Flint, Michigan. They were looking for drivers, plus from what I heard, the pay is better than Blair.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Dear Recruiters of reputable companies-------------lmaorof, nothing personal, just remembering days of old when military recruiters were not so popular,,thought it was funny.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I recently wrote\e mailed four companines regarding straight truck O\O. Asking about three month average miles\pay for a solo. TryHours was the only one who responded.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My two cents on driving a Blair owned van. You won't make a lot per mile but when running you can rack up a lot of miles and a good check. Your going to work hard for that check. Yes you can sit but that goes for any company in a van. Comforts are minimal you are expected to leave basically the entire space for cargo when needed. Would be considered forced dispatch. You will not get home much. You will see the country. You will get good experience so if you decide to change companies it can be good experience. Not the worst choice you could make.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Dougriss

Rookie Expediter
Thanks guys...

I have heard from a guy that used to work for them and is now elsewhere. He is very happy where he is at and I will be giving them a call.

I am not trying to come across as a "I deserve what I want" kind of person. I know that I will have to put in my time to show that I am a trustworthy driver. So I hope that I am not coming across as such. At the same time, I do not want to go to some company that thinks that I am desperate and will take advantage of people like that. The last thing I want is to be sent to the border of Mexico and have to sit for a week because they have nothing leaving that area.

I was in contact with Load1 and they told me that because I do not have expediting experience, their safety officer would not approve me because of my lack of experience. I respect that; they want only the best and experienced drivers.

So I will be calling the next place right now. I will let you know how my experience was on the phone and what the final outcome is.

Thanks for reading.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do not overlook the big picture for the small one. You could run four days every week with company A and sit somewhere for a week with company B. The bigger pay for the month could still come from B.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

GaTrucker05

Birthday Expediter
It's My Birthday!!!
Owner/Operator
I'm a 20 year over the road driver and I just purchased a 33k gvw straight truck.I need a good company to lease to.I'm based out of central Ga.Clean MVR & background.

mpeak68

Rookie Expediter
I'm a 20 year over the road driver and I just purchased a 33k gvw straight truck.I need a good company to lease to.I'm based out of central Ga.Clean MVR & background.

If you are interested in a possible partnership-let me know. Have some things going
that could be very profitable.

Thanks