D Unit Box Damaged by Forklift

whitechocolet

Seasoned Expediter
Our box was damaged by a careless forklift driver, I'll spare you all the painfull details of the incident. The top bar has been smashed in about 3-6 inches and the top latches will not close. My question is: Where and how is the best way to repair this? I'm sure someone with a lot more experiance than us has some information that can help us. Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. I will add that the truck is an AlumiBunk 22' box straight truck. (I'd just as soon NOT go to AlumiBunk)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
My experience with Alumabunk is, you can go purchase an excellent used box with liftgate for what it will cost to repair yours. Been there with a Contractor. If you go to Alumabunk and get an estimate I anticipate your repairs will be in the 8-10 thousand range. That is enough to purchase a nice box with liftgate and the works. No matter whom you contact for repairs they will have to buy parts from Alumabunk, reasoning for excessive cost of repair. My .02

G

Don't tell me you left the customer without arranging for THEM to pay for the damage their careless employee caused to your truck. I wouldn't care how much it cost to fix. It's their baby and they should have liability insurance to coverthese things.

I would think you could go to any good trailer repair facility to get the work done. Thwey should be able to fabricate a new top door frame just like AlumiBunk did.

Mike & Cindy

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Whitechocolate,first I just want to say that you are not alone in your predicament.Last year our box was damaged by a careless forklift "operator",he got in the box but somehow caught the top rail on the way out.We had the same result in that we could not latch the top latches.

Ours is also an Alumi-junk box,and the good news is that the top rail is very thin gauge metal and is easily bended.We thought we would be charged several hundred dollars to get this fixed.I don't recall the name of the company that did the repairs,but they were in Rittman,Ohio.

All they did was attach a come-along to the bottom edge of the top rail and in 10 minutes it was fixed.The best part was the price,$35.00. :7

I do agree that you should hold the company that the "operator" worked for responsible for the repairs, and if possible your down time.

whitechocolet

Seasoned Expediter
Yes the shipper accepted responsibility. It happened 11:30 pm on Friday. Will talk to "their people" Monday. We are still gona have to get it fixed, even with them paying. Just feel like Alumi**** is a real gouger and charge excessive labor fees. Would rather pay anyone but them.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I agree as well that the company should pay for it. If not, I would turn it in as a insurance claim. Might have to pay the deductible initially, but that should come back to you and time spent.
Any decent trailer place can do the repairs. But as mentioned, some items might have to be purchased from AB.
I would make sure they pay fro your time and the necessary repairs. It isn't your fault that the guy can't drive a tow motor.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
pine bluff trailer in pine bluff,ar is really really really good. a friend of mine's 53 foot box had the roof took off by a driver of his and they fixed it like new and he said it was a good price. my grandpaw laid his own the side in 2000 and got his trailer fixed nice for cheap. i had a str8 truck took out from under me and they fixed it for a good price.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My rear-end smasher by a big truck cost me $4500 out of pocket. Insurance would only give me $4500 for the used box, and repairs to the box cost $7000. I finally got the $4500 from the company that hit me (Overnite), but really should have replaced the box.
Any reputable trailer repair shop should be able to fix it. Mine was done by a metro Philly shop, and no major complaints. I have at least one local shop in Detroit who I trust, but can you afford to tow it if you can't drive it to a place of your choice?

Main thing: get your insurance involved! No matter who says what, the insurance co. will get the ball rolling. My truck sat in the two yard for two weeks before I got it moved, once my insurance co. got involved. Whole repairs took two months(