"D" Lock

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Anyway, had a "Tractor" lock on my DR unit a couple of weeks ago.
Still dont know what that was about.

Strange locks have sometimes been put on our truck too; not often, just a couple of times over the years. We have come to understand that the unusual locks are put on when special circumstances of some sort have developed and a dispatcher or agent uses the lock to hold your possibly-needed truckwhile the circumstances are being dealt with.

There are a number of lock types. We generally regard a White Glove lock to be a good thing and are glad to see it. Other types of locks we question. A quick call to dispatch gets the answers we seek. If its not a lock we wish to have, a simple request is all it takes to have it removed.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you had any experience with FECC before you went into WG you would know what the locks are. That being said, as you liked to say in another post, call fedex and ask them.

Yeah Beartrucker, if ya want to know how to talk to us learn from spudhead911 :

"There you go again Greg, I asked you not to get me started about the pompous &sses and self serving nit-wits on the council who have their heads so far up the carriers butts that their toes are brown.

But no, I'm not going to start renting about these yes men/women on the driver council. Its not worth my energy, and will only make my blood pressure go up.

How can a driver council be a driver council when they are picked by the carrier, and do not represent the drivers/contractors. I've ranted on this subject before and refuse to be lured in by your fancy talk Greg. "
Quote spudhead911.

So Beartrucker, dont you dare make fun of our screen names but do as spudhead911 likes
to do, belittle us.

Hope that larned ya a thing or three Beartrucker.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I once got in trouble over a lock with Mrs. Layoutshooter. We got put on a "Customer Intamatcy" lock and she wanted to know what I was up and and who with!!! LOL :rolleyes: Layoutshooter

BEARTRUCKER

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah Beartrucker, if ya want to know how to talk to us learn from spudhead911 :

"There you go again Greg, I asked you not to get me started about the pompous &sses and self serving nit-wits on the council who have their heads so far up the carriers butts that their toes are brown.

But no, I'm not going to start renting about these yes men/women on the driver council. Its not worth my energy, and will only make my blood pressure go up.

How can a driver council be a driver council when they are picked by the carrier, and do not represent the drivers/contractors. I've ranted on this subject before and refuse to be lured in by your fancy talk Greg. "
Quote spudhead911.

So Beartrucker, dont you dare make fun of our screen names but do as spudhead911 likes
to do, belittle us.

Hope that larned ya a thing or three Beartrucker.

Don't know if you are being sarcatic, but Spud and I have settled our differences.

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't know if you are being sarcatic, but Spud and I have settled our differences.

Oh me and Spud have kissed:p and made up as well.
I dont even know if I'm being sarcastic, so, no doubt you wouldn't.
BUT, it's spring and love is in the air.
Aint it grand.:D

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
He's not my type...maybe he's yours??
Whatever twang your geetar:eek:

It always surprises me when someone throws an inuendo out about gays and then denies that they themselves are not.
After all it is on YOUR mind not mine.
Well as Shakespear said " Me thinks He doth protest to much".

Oh FYI, Ya twang a geetar with a pick or yer fingers.
Hope that enlightened ya a tad.:D

mhoy40

Expert Expediter
now that we got all the stupid out of the way, maybe one of you proffesors can explain the lock systems to all us fed ex newbies. what are the locks for?(outside of the obvious to keep us in one area were thet think they may need us) weve been at fed ex since aug. of last year and we thought only wg's got locks.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
now that we got all the stupid out of the way, maybe one of you proffesors can explain the lock systems to all us fed ex newbies. what are the locks for?(outside of the obvious to keep us in one area were thet think they may need us) weve been at fed ex since aug. of last year and we thought only wg's got locks.

mhoy I ain't no professor,just a lowly surface fleet D unit o/o with 7 years time in with the Fed.

In those 7 years I have not been able to fully understand what the different locks are for,but one thing I do know is that I do not like them and always call in to find out why we are on a lock.

It is one thing to be on a lock for something that is certain to turn into a load opportunity because of the type of equipment or training that you may have that matches up with the customers needs.

But to us it means only that you are going to be dispatched around and bypassed for other loads,while being held captive for a load that may or may not materialize.

We always ask to have the lock removed whenever it is put on our truck.

And just because they put a lock on you doesn't mean that you can't move to any place that you want.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
... what are the locks for?(outside of the obvious to keep us in one area were thet think they may need us)....

You have locks figured out as well as anyone. Different kinds of locks come along from time to time for different reasons. Some of them seem odd (rare). The best thing is to simply do status checks when you are waiting for freight (code 09). If you see that you are locked, call dispatch to see what is up. With information then received you can decide to leave the lock on or ask to have it removed.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
You have locks figured out as well as anyone. Different kinds of locks come along from time to time for different reasons. Some of them seem odd (rare). The best thing is to simply do status checks when you are waiting for freight (code 09). If you see that you are locked, call dispatch to see what is up. With information then received you can decide to leave the lock on or ask to have it removed.

Actually it is best to do the "VRU" [2] [2] because although most other locks show up with the (09), the "ETA" lock wont...and we have found dispatch using the "ETA" lock with increasing frequency. We have found we were on "ETA" locks for loads already dispatched to another vehicle and for loads which we were never given the offer on. Each time the response was "oops, sorry" and the lock was removed, damage already done....

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OK, Piper confused.... what is an ETA lock and what is it used for, or supposed to be used for?

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
OK, Piper confused.... what is an ETA lock and what is it used for, or supposed to be used for?

ETA lock as I was told by CC & dispatch is used to "HOLD" a commitment time for a truck to a shipper to cover a load without actually dispatching a truck. (much like other locks). While I was discussing removing one of these locks with dispatch, the dispatcher seemed amazed that I wouldn't want to be on a lock for a load. As we continued our discussion (and still on lock), the load was dispatched to another truck (I never got the offer) and she admitted that it didn't seem to be helpful in my case. I requested for them to in the future, to send me all offers that I am on lock for if the loads actually come available but this is not done.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
There are many locks as as mentioned,D lock or ETA lock is used if they are using your truck for a specific load.Tractor lock,if they need a tractor for certain load,or in my case they do this to me, if I'm only truck in an area with mostly canadian loads,as my tractor isnt legal in canada.The CIT team can lock you,And W/G has locks of their own too.