Cutaway cargo van vs standard cargo van

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
I went out shopping around for a cargo van today and came across a 2006 Ford E350 Cutaway van with a 14' box and a lift gate. Gross vehicle weight of about 11500 and it is rated to haul over 3800 pounds.
They also had a 2007 chevy that was pretty similar.
I was wondering what your all's opinion is on this type of van vs a cargo van or straight truck. Seems like it was kind of in the middle so I wasn't sure how carrier companies would rate it pay wise.

Thanks for the input!

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
Well, I think I just answered my question for the most part. I called Bolt and Panther and neither take on cube vans. Anyone know if there are carriers that allow these?

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
It is sort of like the worst of both worlds. Compared to a cargo van you would then have to log and act like a big truck. Compared to a big truck it is well below everyone elses capacity.

eb

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are smaller companies that will take such a vehicle but as already mentioned you are bound by HOS and every scale house in the country but without the dock high and capacity of a straight truck. Stay below 10k gvw with any sort of van to eliminate all those headaches. If you go 10,001k gvw or higher go to a true dock high truck, preferably on a class 8 chassis.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
your problem is that truck is in the logging and scaling class. you need to stay under 10k. if you want a truck like that think independent.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I drive a cutaway van. It is an E 350 with a 12' box, 72" high. It is a single axle, single wheel and has GVW of 9600#, (empty weight of 7400), meaning it does not require logging or scaling. I get about 13 miles per gallon, vs. aproximately 16 mpg in my old van ( standard extended E350). There is a trade off with the mileage but I can haul taller stuff like Toyota, etc. My next one will be a cut away if I stay with a van.

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the reply everyone. Since my post haste post I've heard if from all sources that this wouldn't be the best business decision. I definitely want to stay away from being governed by the DOT. I'm definitely going back to my van search. I wasn't going to go "all out" at first and just get a basic 2005 or newer ride but the more I talk to people I realize that I should shell out a few more clams for something that makes business sense. I'm looking to go with a chevy or ford diesel 1 ton extended. I think that should be a good investment. Not a cheap one, but a good one.

guido4475

Not a Member
If I had to do it all over again, I would get a Ford van with a Spartan or similar body, single rear wheel, under 10k gvw.It just makes more sense.with a 12' body I can build a 48" lightweight stand-up sleeper that I can walk through from the cab raised roof and still haul 2 skids.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the reply everyone. Since my post haste post I've heard if from all sources that this wouldn't be the best business decision. I definitely want to stay away from being governed by the DOT. I'm definitely going back to my van search. I wasn't going to go "all out" at first and just get a basic 2005 or newer ride but the more I talk to people I realize that I should shell out a few more clams for something that makes business sense. I'm looking to go with a chevy or ford diesel 1 ton extended. I think that should be a good investment. Not a cheap one, but a good one.

Being governed by the DOT is not a problem. But if you are, you want to make sure it's worth your while. If you're not going with a van or sprinter, definitely make it a dock high straight.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I drive a cutaway van. It is an E 350 with a 12' box, 72" high. It is a single axle, single wheel and has GVW of 9600#, (empty weight of 7400), meaning it does not require logging or scaling. I get about 13 miles per gallon, vs. aproximately 16 mpg in my old van ( standard extended E350). There is a trade off with the mileage but I can haul taller stuff like Toyota, etc. My next one will be a cut away if I stay with a van.

Which motor is giving you this fuel mileage??? 4.6 or 5.4?? Does it have the streamlined faring above the cab so that you can stand straight up between the seats or is the top of your cab still intact with that 2 -3 ft air dam above your cab outside?

When I was contracting with Classic Chevrolet here in the DFW area, they have 4 of these 12 ft Spartans as inner city delivery vehicles at all times. Classic always switches their local delivery trucks out every 6 months or so. One set of these Spartans (3500 SRW) they bought had the 4.8 and got crappy fuel mileage such as yours does above. Drivers also complained the vehicles had no ummmphh in them compared to the 6.0's they were previously driving, which were getting 17-18-19 MPG "in town" with ease. One driver that ran on the outskirts of the DFW area (Weatherford to Springtown to Decatur to Denton) actually had recorded 20+ MPG many times with his 6.0 equipped Spartan out on the open road.

If I ever try Expediting, it'll definately be with a 12 ft Spartan. Ford 5.4 or Chevy 6.0. Doesn't matter, I just think those trucks have the same capacity as a regular van with lots more room for "comfort" to the driver.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I ever try Expediting, it'll definately be with a 12 ft Spartan. Ford 5.4 or Chevy 6.0. Doesn't matter, I just think those trucks have the same capacity as a regular van with lots more room for "comfort" to the driver.

A Spartan box is made of fiberglass reinforced panels (FRP). The box is taller and slightly wider than a standard van. This adds extra weight. Comfort items such as a bed, extra batteries and insulation add more weight. Personal gear, clothing, food, spare tire, jack, basic tools, E-track, straps etc. add even more weight. Before you buy a cube van, run it across a scale with a full tank of fuel and you in the driver's seat. Then try and estimate the weight of the comfort items and personal gear. You will be surprised at how much weight you can add to a van to make it road ready, reducing the amount of weight legally available for freight.

guido4475

Not a Member
A Spartan box is made of fiberglass reinforced panels (FRP). The box is taller and slightly wider than a standard van. This adds extra weight. Comfort items such as a bed, extra batteries and insulation add more weight. Personal gear, clothing, food, spare tire, jack, basic tools, E-track, straps etc. add even more weight. Before you buy a cube van, run it across a scale with a full tank of fuel and you in the driver's seat. Then try and estimate the weight of the comfort items and personal gear. You will be surprised at how much weight you can add to a van to make it road ready, reducing the amount of weight legally available for freight.

Yea, I learned that the hard way, my fault. Never gave it a thought while setting up my current van. Got done, only to find out it weighs 7,500 full of fuel, everything in it, including me.This leaves me with 1,900 # load hauling capacity.But it hasnt seemed to hurt me in ways of getting freight, from what I can see.

Brisco

Expert Expediter

Guido said:
Yea, I learned that the hard way, my fault. Never gave it a thought while setting up my current van. Got done, only to find out it weighs 7,500 full of fuel, everything in it, including me.This leaves me with 1,900 # load hauling capacity.But it hasnt seemed to hurt me in ways of getting freight, from what I can see.

This Spartan here is the exact width of a standard Chevy Van, except for maybe 8-9-10 inches right there along the edge of the doors.

2010 CHEVROLET CUTAWAY EXPRESS VAN for sale in Janesville, Wisconsin - CommercialTruckTrader.com

Yes, it is higher than the van itself, but I like how the faring above the cab gives it a more streamline look. I have seen some without that faring which would probably drag the trucks fuel mileage and performance down while out on the open road.

Guido, your calculations above (7500 + 1900) puts your van at 9400 GVWR. This truck has a 9900 GVWR. If we take your weight of 7500, that would give a carrying capacity of 2400 lbs for this truck above and be well within the 2000lb requirement that most companies want for their "Cargo Vans".

Like I said, I like these vans. Had one 7-8 years ago that I used to run an "OTR" Auto Parts route on days when I had a light load and my 8X24 ft Cargo Trailer would've been overkill. It got decent gas mileage out on the open road (16-17). If I ever give CV Expediting a try, this is the truck I would buy. More room for comfort vs a standard van and meets all "CV" requirements that most companies have.

guido4475

Not a Member
Yea, there is one for sale at a Ford dealer in Taylor Mi. Brand new 2010,Stand-up walk through from the cab.I'm still creaming my jeans over it..;lol 12 ft, roll-up door, 5.4,loaded inside and out.The only thing I do not like is the floor construction. It is plywood sheets, run side to side,3 sheets deep.I figure sliding freight in on that will tear it up pretty good. that is the only thing the floor is constructed of, besides the metal crossmembers underneath.It was made by Rockwood.otherwise, real nice vehicle.