Customs Fee?

jj214

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I crossed at Sarnia back into the states today and had to pay the 10.75 "Customs fee" - I had not been charged this for many months. Anybody know if something changed?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Nothing has changed but the guys/gals in the booth have decision making power not to charge it.

By the way BWB fees are going up, I think for trucks and cargo vans it will be $3.25 per axle.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nothing has changed but the guys/gals in the booth have decision making power not to charge it.

Yep, totally up to their discretion. They have the power and the guns. When crossing back into the U.S. empty I usually take the car lanes. Whether I choose a car or truck lane, sometimes I get charged. Other times I don't. Sometimes I get yelled at for being in the wrong lane and sometimes I don't.

I mistakenly thought that the "F" in F.A.S.T. stood for "Free". But now I'm pretty sure it stands for another word beginning with "F".

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They can try to justify this, explain it away or try to pull the wool over your eyes. Call it what you want but what it is, is just another stealth tax on U.S. Citizens. It amazes me that as a taxpayer I have to pay a tax to get back into the Country that I already pay threw the nose for. Amazing, just amazing. :mad:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

By the way BWB fees are going up, I think for trucks and cargo vans it will be $3.25 per axle.

That must be going into Canada?
Cause coming into the US Port Huron was already high...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I understand it is the fees collected on the US side where the Mdot and fed DOT has control.

Layout, the fees replace the money lost. Tariffs used to support the system and since a lot of revenue isn't there, fees pay for things. I would rather have a sort of self-supporting system than more debt.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I guess. To me it just seems that there is more than enough waste that could be eliminated to cover this without putting another tax (fee) on the already very overburdened tax payers.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I understand it is the fees collected on the US side where the Mdot and fed DOT has control.

Layout, the fees replace the money lost. Tariffs used to support the system and since a lot of revenue isn't there, fees pay for things. I would rather have a sort of self-supporting system than more debt.

I guess this side is playing catch up to the other side..it was really one sided way back when I crossed..

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Canada bound BWB tolls are going up to match the US bound tolls, and match the tolls charged at Mr. M's rip off bridge in Detroit.

CBP got real aggressive with charging the fee mid way thru last year, I hardly ever had to pay it and then it was every time. I opened an account with CBP and got the transponder which ain't cheap either but it beats the hassle of paying each time.

Of note, over half of that fee you pay is for the USDA, whether you have a food load or not, you pay the APHIS USDA fee each time you cross into the US.