Custom sleepers for tractors

Tuckster

Seasoned Expediter
Where can I go to educate myself on stretching existing sleepers and possibly the frame and which condo type is best. I like the Volvo 770 with the Cummings but have heard its a little heavy up front. Anyone suggest the show in Vegas next week for a learning experience ??

Tuckster

Seasoned Expediter
No way can I do it. I have talked to a couple of people that do it but the whole idea is brand new to me.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
For custom sleepers, I would start with the following

In no particular order

Indiana custom trucks
Bentz
ARI or American Reliance Industy
Double Eagle
Star Class

A search on any will bring up their websites.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
First of all, you may wanna reconsider your engine choice. Then move on to the big stuff.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Are you planning on buying brand new? The only reason I ask is because Volvos are set up to idle in Cali.

Tuckster

Seasoned Expediter
Nothing wrong with a Cummings !!!

Not buying new ... looking at '04. There is a guy that will "stretch" the existing sleeper by 24" and I won't have to stretch the frame.

Tuckster

Seasoned Expediter
Yes .... There is a guy that stretches existing sleepers. I'm just so new to this I have no idea how to proceed except ... very carefully. If isn't too expensive. I have not bought the tractor yet so I'm trying to see if anyone else has tried this. Lots of questions like weight and wheel base etc.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
check out Home (evans add ons) they say the weight increase is 100-200 pounds per foot depending on interior.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Lots of questions like weight and wheel base etc.

While your situation does not match ours exactly, you may nevertheless find my web site to be of interest and some help. On the truck spec page, weight, wheelbase and sleeper size issues are discussed.

About "heavy up front," any straight truck of any brand can be made heavier or lighter up front by changing the wheelbase.

Last edited:

Tuckster

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks ... great set-up. I can see you did your homework.
I may be asking too much for the $$ I want to spend but I plan to at least look into the possibilities. My wife really likes the condo sleepers so I guess I'm looking at stretching an existing sleeper (I'm definately buying a used truck)..... looking for sites other than truckpaper as they seem to be all dealers. My interior will be modified slightly compared to yours.

xdtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
Hi all .. I am currently getting my sleeper extended by evan in paducah.ky
So far it's coming along well. I can't wait to go get it weighed .. I have a 2000 freightliner classic limited 84 inch condo and he added an additional 62 which makes it 146 inch . I had the frame stretched from 279" too. 317" It now has a dining table queen size bed. 48" shower toilet combo and more cabinets then the average home. My wife and myself have been here overseeing the whole project and are extremely happy with everything. Evan has gone out of his way to explain why he does things a certain way.
We found Evan through word of mouth and have seen his work before. He can be contacted via his web site Kiev Custom I will be posting some photos of our truck shortly.

Last edited:

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
xdtrucker, you do realize that with the extension to the sleeper you are now down to only a 16' box in order to stay at 40'. you do still have the tandems, correct? who are you planning on signing the unit on with or do you have your own authority? lastly, get the widest and tallest box you can. at least 100" wide by 102" tall inside dimensions and the largest door opening.

Last edited:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Where can I go to educate myself on stretching existing sleepers and possibly the frame and which condo type is best. I like the Volvo 770 with the Cummings but have heard its a little heavy up front. Anyone suggest the show in Vegas next week for a learning experience ??

Volvo's put their fuel tanks to far forward. If you have the room I suggest sliding them back some. It doesn't take much to get a few hundred pounds of the steer and w/o major mod's.

xdtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
xdtrucker, you do realize that with the extension to the sleeper you are now down to only a 16' box in order to stay at 40'. you do still have the tandems, correct? who are you planning on signing the unit on with or do you have your own authority? lastly, get the widest and tallest box you can. at least 100" wide by 102" tall inside dimensions and the largest door opening.

Hi Dynamite . Thanks for your post . I pull a 53' Stepdeck. And I don't have a drone box so my overall length can exceed 75' . I guess you assumed we have a straight truck. Sorry I should have mentioned my setup is a Tractor Trailer combination. :)

xdtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
Hi a drone box is a container that holds freight . Usually explosives. Or other things like detonators for explosives.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

xdtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
Our Truck
aefde9cc-8db8-c0be.jpg

This extention was done by
http:/www.kievcustom.com