Custom built straight truck?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It can be done, but costly.
If you want a stick shift order it and build the truck around it..
It will hurt your resale value.,

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
It is very hard to get a stick shift truck anymore at the automated transmissions are doing very well. We have just started the process of ordering our next truck and it is not a quick process. We are hoping that maybe by the Expedite Expo we will see our new truck but probably still not be in our possession ready to roll.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I'm not sure about other makers, but the I-Shift Automated Transmission is standard in every Volvo.
It will also improve your fuel economy.

jamom123

Expert Expediter
I have nothing against the automatics or ultrashifts i've never driven one. But i just like the traditional sense of a stick.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app

jamom123

Expert Expediter
Anybody know the best way to get a roundabout figure on custom building a S/T? I know international has a portion of their website where you can build a truck but it is very limited plus it's only for tractors, also what if you don't want an international. I'm just wondering if there is any way you can put in everything you want in your truck and get some kind of price figure? Thanks for all the help.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yeah,
Compile your list of stuff and fax it to your friendly truck salesman, he'll give you a price. Pretty straight forward.

Then you order it wait 8 mos and they will call you and try and deliver a truck that is totally wrong. Missing half of the things you specified.

If the dealer is cool he'll understand your ****ed and give you your deposit back, but most likely you'll have to sue, or live with a truck that isn't quite right.

My truck is 3k lbs too heavy, wrong apu, and had the exhaust pipe routed wrong. But after waiting a year for the delivery, I took it anyway. I think A-teams truck was built wrong too but I'm not positive on that one.

You are correct. Our first try at having a custom truck built turned into a disaster. So much so that we walked away from the deal, leaving our deposit behind. It was better to do that than take a truck that was illegal to drive, poorly built and not even close to what we specified. We could not have been more clear in our specs but just as Easytrader said, they figured they could deliver something different than the truck we ordered and expect us to take it.

We shocked them when we refused delivery and forfeited the deposit. The truck was so bad that it could not be re-sold after we walked away. The vendors fought like hell with each other over who was to blame and how to salvage what they could out of the project. None did well on that end. The truck was eventually dismantled. The sleeper ended up on another expediter truck. The cab and chassis got sold to someone who used it to build an RV. I don't know what happened to the box, liftgate and reefer, and at that point did not care.

We started fresh, next time with better vendors (stuck with VoMac Truck Sales in Fort Wayne who took our side and did the right thing). Having learned our lesson, we kept a much closer eye on the truck build to make sure it was spec'ed right, not just on paper, but as the truck was built too.

For example, after the chassis was received, we physically measured the BBC dimension (bumper to back of cab) to make sure it was as advertised (it was). We then took it to ARI to have the sleeper built Once it was on the truck, we measured the sleeper and boot length to verify that we had enough chassis left to put a 16' box on (we did). Only then did we order the box, and before we took delivery of it, we measured it on the ground to make sure it had been built as spec'ed.

There is much more to tell, but the short story is that we got it right, bumper to bumper, and drove a dream truck for 850,000 miles and a very happy seven years.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Forget the M2 or any other class 7 truck. You'll pay maybe 15% more for a class 8 and get 50% more service life out of it, if not more. Performance Kenworth in Houston did an excellent job and put together a truck exactly as ordered. Find a good dealer to work with and stay in contact as the build proceeds.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I would do my homework as it can be very stressful. Make sure your not overweight on your steer axle. That is a big key. Volvo trucks are hard to build custom sleepers because they are very heavy on the front axle.

That "Volvo's are heavy" statement is often made and widely believed, but I have no idea why. It is no trouble at all to use a Volvo chassis on a custom-built straight truck and have it be fully legal on the front end. You just need to think things through.

Zorry took an overkill approach by spec'ing a 20,000 lbs. front axle on his Volvo. We spec'ed 14,600 lbs. but on the scale the front axle came in just a little over 12,000, and only then with two people in front and the tanks plumb full. Anytime we put weight on the back, the front got lighter.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I weigh 13,980 on the steer. It'd be less if I didn't have the monstrous front end/tires.
This is with team and 300 gallons of fuel.
This is lighter than many DR's.

My chassis was prespec'd, sitting on the lot.
He now stocks a lighter front end.

I'd order 14,600 if ordering a DR.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We are starting the process of spec'ing our next truck and it is a slow process as we work through all of what we want and if what we want is currently available. So far everything is progressing and hopefully the new truck will be done by the Expo.

Building an Expediter is a lot more then spec'ing a truck, we have to spec the sleeper, the box, the lift gate, what we want for side boxes, and then the extra's we want on the truck from the factory.

Time Patience and looking over and over the spec sheets.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
What's to be done with your truck you are in now?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
When we have a concrete build date and estimation of when the new Cascadia Evolution with a DT12 transmission will be complete our current truck will be posted for sale in the classified ad section here on EO.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
What would be different than what you currently have? Or, what would you change since you haven't had that truck that long?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Are there professional truck specking companies that are independent of dealers and manufacturers? If so are they any good? What is the cost?

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I haven't heard of any companies like that.

I'm still bouncing between volvo and western star. And factory vs ari/ict sleepers. I might can do a stoops cascadia. I need to go look at a stoops/bolt. I can't believe how hard of a decision this is to make. I thought getting the money together would be the difficult part but that was nothing compared to the difficulty of weighing the pro's and con's of these trucks. It was much easier buying used. I only had a few to pick from. All my options get 10+mpg. All are around the same price. So it really is starting to be the little details to choose from. Smh.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, it's called the EO Experience.

No Charge. Years of knowledge.

First, you have to have a list of what you want the truck to do.
What's important ?
There's trade offs. Weight vs durability.vs comfort vs fuel economy

What's your goals.
For previous owners, what do you want to improve over your last truck ?

Within a year of building my first ICT sleeper we went in and remodeled it.

I slightly remodeled this one. And things change. Like Caffee wanting the new transmission. ARI introduced the Volvo Condo package two weeks after I put this on the road. .

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Has anyone ever put together a "Spec sheet" then put that out to different dealers for competitive bids?

jamom123

Expert Expediter
Would i lose gas miles by going with something like a freightliner coronado versus a cascadia in a S/T.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The Cascadia is the most aero truck and even more aero would be the Cascadia Evolution.

Dave we are upgrading due to our involvement with Freightliner and the dealers, O/O, and fleets who want real live data from trucks running freight. Our current truck is just now breaking in good and it is a shame to give it up. Since we have added the Trailer Tail it has thrown two over 14 MPG gallon fills that were over 600 miles using the odometer.

The new truck is a Cascadia Evolution and will have the new Detroit Transmission DT12 and the new and improved DD13. There are some options available now that were not available when we purchased our current truck, mainly that amazing transmission.

We continue to watch Henry Albert in a T/T get fills of ten and eleven MPG pulling a trailer and we have to wonder how we will do. Our lifetime fuel MPG is 11.74 and Henry Alberts in the T/T is 9.65 in his Evolution. I know we can improve our fuel mileage and we are looking forward to that challenge.