cult of personality

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
So I remember when this song first came out in 89.I loved it then and still do.I have been hearing it alot latley.It has got me thinking these guys could see the future and who was to come to lead this country.

If you do or dont know the song you should listen to it.The music may not be for everybody but the words speak volumes as to our so called leader.It may be easier for some if you do listen if it is turned down low.

Living Colour - Cult Of Personality - YouTube

This vid has obama as the star.

Barack Obama - The Cult of Personality - YouTube

If you look at the meaning of "cult of personality" it is so true.After all he did recive the peace prize just for saying he would end the wars.He was the "hope and Change" master.And if you disagree with him you are either a racist or you have just eaten a satan sandwhich.As far as the left is concerned how dare anyone question his wisdom.As far as the liberal midea goes he is all knowing and he is the only one who can fix this country and all the rights he wants to take away are a good thing because it is for your own good.

If you dont agree with me thats fine!You may want to watch this video this is what Im talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51kAw4OTlA0

or this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51kAw4OTlA0

This one is just scary and the teachers should be fired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ulp3iqpOPQ&feature=related

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Too bad they couldn't have seen their future.
LOL .... another one hit wonder .....

So I remember when this song first came out in 89. I loved it then and still do.
Yup - it's .... a classic ......

I have been hearing it a lot lately. It has got me thinking these guys could see the future and who was to come to lead this country.
Well ..... that is one way of looking at it ..... :rolleyes:

But not quite what Living Colour had in mind apparently ;):

"Singer Corey Glover discussed with Billboard magazine how this track can be reconsidered in the age of Obama. He explained: "We were talking about the cult of personality around Ronald Reagan, so it's always weird when people talk about the Age of Obama and 'Cult of Personality' and the Cult of Personality around Barack Obama. You could look at it at in so many different ways and from so many different perspectives that it loses it's meaning after a while. And for us, when we play it, we're not thinking about the Age of Obama, we're thinking about us.""

The music may not be for everybody but the words speak volumes as to our so called leader.
The words speak volumes - not so much about any specific leader, but about the desire and need of people generally, to have and follow a leader ...... IOW, to be led .....

And, as a consequence of that, to delude themselves and allow themselves to be fooled, and follow false prophets

“And during the few moments that we have left, we want to talk, right down to earth, in a language that everybody here can easily understand.” (Malcolm X)

Look in my eyes, what do you see?
the Cult of Personality
I know your anger, I know your dreams
I've been everything you wanna be ohhh…
I'm the Cult of Personality
Like Mussolini and Kennedy
the Cult of Personality
the Cult of Personality

Neon lights, Nobel Prize
When a leader speaks, the reflection lies
You won't have to follow me
Only you can set me free

I sell the things you need to be
I'm the smiling face of your T.V. ohh…
I exploit you; still you love me
I tell you one and one makes three ohh…
Like Joseph Stalin and Gandhi ohh…
the Cult of Personality
the Cult of Personality

Neon lights, Nobel Prize
When a leader speaks, that leader dies
You won't have to follow me
Only you can set you free

(Guitar solo)

You gave me fortune, you gave me fame
You gave me power in your God's name
I'm every person you need to be ohh…
I'm, the, Cult, of, Per, Son, Al, Ity

I am the Cult of
I am the Cult of
I am the Cult of
I am the Cult of
I am the Cult of
I am the Cult of
I am the Cult of
I am the Cult of
Personality

“Ask not what your country can do for you…” (John F. Kennedy)
“The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself.” (Franklin D. Roosevelt)

If you do or dont know the song you should listen to it. It may be easier for some if you do listen if it is turned down low.
Nah .... crank that sucker up !

If you look at the meaning of "cult of personality" it is so true. After all he did recive the peace prize just for saying he would end the wars. He was the "hope and Change" master. And if you disagree with him you are either a racist or you have just eaten a satan sandwhich. As far as the left is concerned how dare anyone question his wisdom. As far as the liberal midea goes he is all knowing and he is the only one who can fix this country and all the rights he wants to take away are a good thing because it is for your own good.
He's only the most recent in a long line of similar characters ....

And, as the saying goes:

"There's a sucker born every minute"

Last edited:

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Classic? One hit wonder? :confused: ;)
This song must have come out during the head banger era. That was when I changed over to Country. Man I hated the head banger era.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Classic? One hit wonder? :confused: ;)
This song must have come out during the head banger era. That was when I changed over to Country. Man I hated the head banger era.

That's funny. I used to listen to country until Alabama was played every hour. Then I went to pop around 81ish. I kinda fell away from pop in the late 80s, when I went into the Marines, and started my lovefest of classic rock.

Cult of Personality is one of my faves. Great guitar always gets my juices flowing!

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Hawk said:
Cult of Personality is one of my faves. Great guitar always gets my juices flowing!
No, can I say it any more clearly? Classic rock is late 60's into the 70's. Marines obviously don't know squat about good music... Go charge a hill or something. :D

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
No, can I say it any more clearly? Classic rock is late 60's into the 70's. Marines obviously don't know squat about good music... Go charge a hill or something. :D

Yes, when I started listening to classic rock, it was 60s and 70s. Now they label Nirvana and Guns n Roses classic rock. To me, 80s is 80s, before that was classic. 90s and beyond are just mostly junk, IMO... tho there were a few gems.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I can't play country music in my truck because it will invariably break down. That and I will go into a seizure and vomit. Things go better 'round these parts when Lisa Lou Hoo has her Marilyn Manson, Ramones, Rob Zombie, Sex Pistols and early Black Sabbath at the ready.

"Cult of Personality" is timeless because of it's broad coverage of the notorious personality type, be it political, celebrity, sports, or religion. It could apply to Reagan, Nixon, Carter, Clinton, Obama, Bush, OJ Simpson, Jeff Gordon, Charlie Sheen, The Pope, Jim Bakker...endless subjects.

Plus Corey Glover and I share the same birthday.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I can't play country music in my truck because it will invariably break down. That and I will go into a seizure and vomit. Things go better 'round these parts when Lisa Lou Hoo has her Marilyn Manson, Ramones, Rob Zombie, Sex Pistols and early Black Sabbath at the ready.

"Cult of Personality" is timeless because of it's broad coverage of the notorious personality type, be it political, celebrity, sports, or religion. It could apply to Reagan, Nixon, Carter, Clinton, Obama, Bush, OJ Simpson, Jeff Gordon, Charlie Sheen, The Pope, Jim Bakker...endless subjects.

Plus Corey Glover and I share the same birthday.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

My four year old LOVES the Ramones! He saw their Spider Man video, and is hooked! The kid is a headbanger, for sure. :D

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So I remember when this song first came out in 73. I loved it then and still do. I have been hearing it a lot lately, mostly in my head. It has got me thinking this guy could see the future and who was to come to lead this country.

If you do or don't know the song you should listen to it.The music may not be for everybody but the words speak volumes as to our so called leader. It may be easier for some if you do listen if it is turned down low.

Frank Zappa - I'm The Slime - YouTube

I am gross and perverted
I'm obsessed n deranged
I have existed for years
But very little had changed
I am the tool of the government
And industry too
For I am destined to rule
And regulate you

I may be vile and pernicious
But you can't look away
I make you think Im delicious