Crossing the border

johnf

Seasoned Expediter
Why is it every time i go to Canada i have no problem going in but when i reach the U.S border they treat everyone like terrorists whats up with that.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
The US has a completely different philosophy to border security. It is rather unfortunate. It's been that way as far back as I can remember...back into the 1970's. Believe it or not - I find the Northern border more difficult to enter the US than the Southern border. We virtually walked into the US from Mexico with hardly a question or search. The whole Mexican border lockdown thing is all smoke and mirrors. If the US government didn't want cheap labor - there wouldn't be a single illegal here. I have crossed the borders for 30+ years and that is my observation.

PlusServices

Seasoned Expediter
I have crossed the border back into the US hundreds of times from Ontario and Quebec and never had a problem. Make sure your paperwork is in order as well as your identification. If it is at night turn on your cab interior lights and do not set your airbrakes, make sure your CB and radio are off and no smoking. Do not wear your bluetooth earpiece. Always give your paperwork before offering your identification. Answer all questions with simple, short answers. Make sure your dash is clear of clutter and you are wearing your seatbelt. You must project the image of a professional driver. Check with your dispatcher to make sure your clearance has been approved before you get to the border. All your paperwork must be readable. Do not say Hi when you get to the booth, don't make any personal comments, don't ask the customs offices how he's doing, don't make jokes. I hope this will help.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have crossed the border back into the US hundreds of times from Ontario and Quebec and never had a problem. Make sure your paperwork is in order as well as your identification. If it is at night turn on your cab interior lights and do not set your airbrakes, make sure your CB and radio are off and no smoking. Do not wear your bluetooth earpiece. Always give your paperwork before offering your identification. Answer all questions with simple, short answers. Make sure your dash is clear of clutter and you are wearing your seatbelt. You must project the image of a professional driver. Check with your dispatcher to make sure your clearance has been approved before you get to the border. All your paperwork must be readable. Do not say Hi when you get to the booth, don't make any personal comments, don't ask the customs offices how he's doing, don't make jokes. I hope this will help.

Sorry after almost 6 years of back and forth..that part don't work for me...I am me...and no Civil servant is going to change that....I always say G'day...

all the rest is right on....

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
You are right except that we are in 2010. Why they have to treat you without respect? In Europe no more borders. You can go from Portugal to France or from Stockholm to Sofia without a stop. They have a progress. We...not. I understand the south border ,but not the northern one. In my opinion should not be any border between US and Canada.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You are right except that we are in 2010. Why they have to treat you without respect? In Europe no more borders. You can go from Portugal to France or from Stockholm to Sofia without a stop. They have a progress. We...not. I understand the south border ,but not the northern one. In my opinion should not be any border between US and Canada.

If we truly have FREE trade...then why all the paperwork? anything made in Canada or the US ...country of origin should pass without all this crap...

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
'' Do not say Hi when you get to the booth, don't make any personal comments, don't ask the customs offices how he's doing, don't make jokes''.
Man, WE PAY THAT GUY !!!! Wtf , when you return in your own country you have to feel like in the prison? Or in the military ? C'mon man where is your proud? I can understand this if you travel in Pakistan , China or Iran ....but in US ??

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter

I agree.

If you get hassled doing it in another way, then try as mentioned here. When I used to cross, I was always told to speak only when asked a question. And don't hesitate when you answer. I didn't like the way I got treated, but that is not the place to play proud American.

My pet peeve is in Texas on I35 just out of Laredo at the check point Charlie, where all the Mexican Border patrol officers ask you if you are an American citizen and you can hardly understand them. Ugggghhhhh!

See! I guess we all have things that chap us. You have to be smart and just let it pass. Comments from your smart mouth = harrasment and delays.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Civil servants with guns and an attitude...bad combination..:p

Now the Canadian civil servants with bad attitudes carry guns on the border too. We have been hassled from time to time headed both ways. I miss the old days. Long before 9/11, like before 1980, it was great then.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My pet peeve is in Texas on I35 just out of Laredo at the check point Charlie, where all the Mexican Border patrol officers ask you if you are an American citizen and you can hardly understand them. Ugggghhhhh!
One time coming out of Laredo there were two border guards standing there, one a very Mexican-looking dood and the other was whiter than they are in Minnesota. The Mexican-looking border guard asked me in a very Spanish-sounding accent, "Are you a US seetizen, sir?"

I replied, "Yeah...... are you?"

The Mexican-looking dood didn't have much of a sense of humor, but the Minnesotan dood cracked up. Pedro dryly told me to have a nice day and waved me on ahead.

I wouldn't recommend that you do that.

Last edited:

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
One time coming out of Laredo there were two border guards standing there, one a very Mexican-looking dood and the other what whiter than they are in Minnesota. The Mexican-looking border guard asked me in a very Spanish-sounding accent, "Are you a US seetizen, sir?"

I replied, "Yeah...... are you?"

The Mexican-looking dood didn't have much of a sense of humor, but the Minnesotan dood cracked up. Pedro dryly told me to have a nice day and waved me on ahead.

I wouldn't recommend that you do that.

Good for you! I have always wanted to do that, but my shell isn't thick enough!

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Try crossing from Nuevo Laredo into Laredo with a Puerto Rican spouse.

Almost got BOTH of us locked up that day. I believe our saving grace was that the fat, lazy stepson was with us, they looked at him, then decided it would be too costly to feed him.

Wife was detained for 2+ hours, printed, mugshotted, clothed body searched, placed in cell with 2 handcuffed lesbians. The thing that actually got her freed was that she knew the name of a fruit that only grows in PR.

I also dread coming back into my own country. The dinks in Port Huron, and the clowns running the checkpoints inside the border have no idea what they are doing. They are ineffective....period. We very seldom have problems, but every once in a while, we go through on Barney Fife's shift.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
coming out of Laredo once...he asked citizenship...Canadian....whipped out my Resident Card/Green Card....I said betcha haven't seen one of these before...:D

he had a sense of humor and said we ain't even going there..*LOL*

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I also dread coming back into my own country. The dinks in Port Huron, and the clowns running the checkpoints inside the border have no idea what they are doing. They are ineffective....period. We very seldom have problems, but every once in a while, we go through on Barney Fife's shift.

I remember Barney Fife at the border....did he hitch up his high water britches cuz his big gun kept pulling them off his skinny behind? *LOL*

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I have crossed the border back into the US hundreds of times from Ontario and Quebec and never had a problem.

Diane and I have crossed the U.S./Canada border not hundreds of times but dozens and have had numerous problems. These problems add up to the point where we now hate hauling loads in and out of Canada and generally will not do so unless substantial premiums are paid.

We follow to the letter the good practices you receommend and suggest others do too. However, we cannot say that doing so will eliminate problems at the border.

johnf

Seasoned Expediter
Try crossing from Nuevo Laredo into Laredo with a Puerto Rican spouse.

Almost got BOTH of us locked up that day. I believe our saving grace was that the fat, lazy stepson was with us, they looked at him, then decided it would be too costly to feed him.

Wife was detained for 2+ hours, printed, mugshotted, clothed body searched, placed in cell with 2 handcuffed lesbians. The thing that actually got her freed was that she knew the name of a fruit that only grows in PR.

LOL,O man that's to funny,about a month ago i went to Nova Scotia on a load and i took my wife with me,when we got to the Canadian border the customs officer asked if we had any weapons and my wife replied "ye my fists"the guy started laughing if it was on the US side we would of been arrested im sure of it.