Couple Questions

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Couple questions. Looking to upgrade from a cargo van. thinking about tractor trailer or possibly straight truck.

Can there be money to be made in a straight truck solo? I know team is better but I have no friends or family members willing to come out on the road.

Or would driving a tractor trailer be a better fit solo? Would be going non expedite with the t/t and go with a company fresh out of school. I wanna spend a few more years on the road and wanna look for local work.

Figured I would post here and get some others opinions from people that know both sides better than myself. Thanks !

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
A person can do very well running solo in a S/T, with the right company. Most of the time it has to be a smaller carrier.

Sent from my DROID X2

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I have done well as a solo st and others here have as well.

If your overall plan is to get local work at some point, I would advise you to get the experience in t/t as the local options will be a lot better. With a clean driving record, you can get a job, depending on where you live, with one of the LTL carriers. There are some really good LTL jobs out there to be had.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I have done well as a solo st and others here have as well.

If your overall plan is to get local work at some point, I would advise you to get the experience in t/t as the local options will be a lot better. With a clean driving record, you can get a job, depending on where you live, with one of the LTL carriers. There are some really good LTL jobs out there to be had.

There are alot of jobs out there for straight truck/propane delivery/drump truck jobs to around my area but they are a little harder to get than tractor trailer.

I already been talking to trucking companies that offer training and got accepted to a few so I gotta decide which company I wanna go with. More than likely I will go with T/T job:confused:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If you accept the training in return for a commitment to drive for a specified time, ask about how many students make it through to the end of the commitment - some carriers have a habit of disqualifying [or firing] drivers, then requiring them to pay training fees. You'll want to avoid those.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Im fully aware. I would rather have local training but dont have $3000 cash for it or dont really wanna finance $4500 . Thats the price for local training. They provide tech school training very cheap but its a 11 week course for your CDL and IMO thats to long.

moose

Veteran Expediter
or dont really wanna finance $4500 . Thats the price for local training. They provide tech school training very cheap but its a 11 week course for your CDL and IMO thats to long.

I would go recommend doing exactly that .
in most cases, those loans are grants backed, which in return offer you EZ financing. in many cases, those payments don't kick in till after a few months, the CDL school see many new truckers, and the finance term take into account the start up costs - they want you to make it out there, not to fail you.
don't be fulled into saving money by just passing the CDL test, the learning experience provided by a good school is priceless for a trucker career.
& yes, stay away from the carriers that offer training. the independent school looks much better on a driver record.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Im fully aware. I would rather have local training but dont have $3000 cash for it or dont really wanna finance $4500 . Thats the price for local training. They provide tech school training very cheap but its a 11 week course for your CDL and IMO thats to long.

It's not too long. The quickie courses are crap and turn unprepared drivers out onto the road.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

gardair

Expert Expediter
Howdy there Chris...I think the Tech school option is a good one...I lived in Georgia a few years back and went to a Tech school CDL course...I don't remember it being an 11 week course, maybe 8 at the most. Thanks to the Hope scholarship program I got a class "A" CDL with all endorsements for less than $200 out of pocket....Not too bad in my opinion....The tech school training was adequate to get the license and I had lots of extra time to practice on the driving range. After school I signed on with Swift and learned how to drive....I know, I know, Swift's the butt of a million bad comments, but I really did learn a lot with them, and they were very fair with me...(Just my 2 cents worth). You already know the expediting business from your van work, so the transition to straights or TT's should be a smooth one. It can't hurt to have that CDL with all endorsements in your pocket. I'd rather have a few too many tools in the box and not need them than to have too few and need one quick!!.....Best wishes in your new direction...

Monty

Expert Expediter
At least Swift does not train you on an automatic, making it impossible to be hired any place else.

Some of the carrier schools use the auto shifters, and leave you with no practical knowledge of a 13-18 speed tranny.