Countdown to Another Sprinter Killer- Sort Of

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's good looking but I wonder how the ride would be as well as what sort of fuel mileage it would get. Not sure how well it would adapt to expediting with needing a sleeper area of some sort. For a solo maybe the crew cab could be adapted.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I did not see a picture of it, but it said debut in about a week. Reading the spec page it looks to be a Sprinter competitor with more loading area (700) cu ft. The only draw back I see is the urea tank along with fuel. That's the one reason I'm going back to the gas engine. Right now the urea additive is $2.97 gal @ Pilot. Put $75 buck in fuel and another $20 in urea. Other than it should have a good market base.

EtowahE

Seasoned Expediter
I drove a cab forward truck cross country once, it nearly killed me, back was sore for days. Thats probably why they are not used much in expediting, but if they can make it ride good, it would work.

Speedwagen

Seasoned Expediter
I drove a cab forward truck cross country once, it nearly killed me, back was sore for days. Thats probably why they are not used much in expediting, but if they can make it ride good, it would work.

Yep, I owned a Nissan/UD and a Mitsubishi- both cab forward
models that would want to "James Bond- Eject You" over bumps
if you didn't have an air seat.:eek:
A protruding nose in the secret pic suggests the axle is forward;
we'll soon find out...

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I did not see a picture of it, but it said debut in about a week. Reading the spec page it looks to be a Sprinter competitor with more loading area (700) cu ft. The only draw back I see is the urea tank along with fuel. That's the one reason I'm going back to the gas engine. Right now the urea additive is $2.97 gal @ Pilot. Put $75 buck in fuel and another $20 in urea. Other than it should have a good market base.

A tank of DEF should yield from 8k to 10k miles depending on idle time according to the Mercedes and Freightliner dealers I have been working with on a 2011 Sprinter 170 high top ext.. The filler neck is under the hood. I don't think a pump nozzle will fit it. I think it is the old funnel and pour (spill) method. The brochures I have, while showing a pic of the tank and filler neck, don't have a spec for quantity. I think the Mercedes dealer said about 5 gallons.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Website Say's Cargo length of 10, 12, & 14 feet. should be roomy enough. I didn't read far enough to see what the weight limit was.

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
In the press release, it states that it is on a chassis rated at 12000lb. If that is what the van will be rated at it will require logging, etc. Jerry Lee

buckwheat

Seasoned Expediter
From what I've seen from new emmissions systems, DEF is "Diesel exhaust fluid" that is injected somewhere in the exhaust system to cut down on emmissions. Maybe the urea in the tank is the actual fluid that is used. I'm kinda hazy on that aspect.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Question please . What is a urea tank or def ??

Mercedes calls their fluid AdBlue that goes into DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) tank. Urea (I think) refers to the actual chemical name in the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF). Basically its a water based fluid that is mixed with the exhaust gases in the catalytic converter. The process converts nitrogen oxide pollutants into harmless nitrogen and water. The result is a sudstantial reduction in pollutants and soot particles.

So the question then is, what if you don't have any DEF of AdBlue or Urea fluid and your tank runs dry. Can you just add water.
From what I have been told. Yes, but for only a very short distance to where you can get some. Otherwise overheating and premature failure of the catalytic converter could occur if ran with just water for an extended period of time. Since all this occurs after the engine, there should not be any consequence to the actual drive train.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
A tank of DEF should yield from 8k to 10k miles depending on idle time according to the Mercedes and Freightliner dealers I have been working with on a 2011 Sprinter 170 high top ext.. The filler neck is under the hood. I don't think a pump nozzle will fit it. I think it is the old funnel and pour (spill) method. The brochures I have, while showing a pic of the tank and filler neck, don't have a spec for quantity. I think the Mercedes dealer said about 5 gallons.

I'm not sure about spout size on the Sprinter but the Duramax it also being under the hood and 35 gal capacity is a pour through a funnel deal as well. A real draw back for a commercial operation. I would like to know how many local companies using these have drivers that will completely forget about them and let them run out. They say that the engine won't shut down just run at an extremely low power setting. Designed to get them off the road to fill the tank. Should be interesting. I know one company who got two Internationals in with Cummins. They are located in the low country of SC and could not get the urea. They filled the tank with water and Vinegar (not sure of the blend) and ran the trucks w/o telling Cummins. They have run them for the last 6 mo's and he told me he'll run them that way till they stop. So far they haven't.:cool:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
What year, engine size did Diesel engines start with a Catalytic converter.:confused:

Depends on the engine manufacturer but Duramax is late 10 models. The larger engines are also 10 models in 11 model trucks until they run out then upgrade. I think the new Ford engines are all 11 models and are equipped as such.

wannatruck

Seasoned Expediter
Nissan NV. Seen them, didn't know if they were doing an extended version or not. NOT a cabover, look alot like sprinters on the outside. (basic shape) Inside is NICE, cooler in the center armrest and other little amenities that make it very tempting. Base model has an AUX input on the stereo for MP3 or Sat radio even! I hear base price is gonna make sprinters cringe. 25k new is what I'd heard. Something to look at, if not to replace a sprinter, then to replace a C/V.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
From what I've seen from new emmissions systems, DEF is "Diesel exhaust fluid" that is injected somewhere in the exhaust system to cut down on emmissions. Maybe the urea in the tank is the actual fluid that is used. I'm kinda hazy on that aspect.

Urea is a blend of Ammonia and Nitrogen and water. It does the same thing as a catalytic converter but updated. Supposed to be designed for the diesel market and not gas. When it is heated in the after exhaust pipe it brings the exhaust up 700 -800 degrees to burn the carbon emissions (CO2) out of the exhaust. I am not quite sure of the degrees I think it's more like 1000 degrees but it is hot. I sure wouldn't want to spill any gas on the pipes. Petroleum haulers are having a time with the new system because of the dangers of loading them on the racks with the hot pipes. I will bet there will be a huge fire sometime this year when they start upgrading equipment.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
What year, engine size did Diesel engines start with a Catalytic converter.:confused:

I don't know, but that is exactly what the 2011 Mercedes Sprinter sales brochure said. My 2008 Hino has DPR, diesel particulate removal system, which is some sort of mechanical mechanism that goes through the exhaust of the engine and then filtered before finally being expelled. No reference to a catalytic converter anywhere in the owners manual. Have had the filter changed once. Without looking it up, I think its something like 200k miles. I did it way sooner.