Corrupt Governor???

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What a surprise that an Illinois democrat is corrupt! :eek: I wouldn't count on anything other than more of the same though. You've got too many leeches and ignoramuses in purgatory, uh Chicago, to expect otherwise. It's good to hope but I wouldn't hold my breath.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
I think this was a vast left wing conspiracy orchestrated by the Clinton's. Notice how this story didn't break until after she was offered and accepted the Secretary of State position. At any rate you know Bill and Hillary are laughing their @sses off.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Actually, there is good reason to hope for the end of split speed limits in Illinois rural areas. The state legislature has twice passed bills ending the split speed limits. The governor has twice vetoed the bills. With the governor's political future less than certain (to put it mildly), he may not be around to veto the bill again if the legislature acts.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I think this was a vast left wing conspiracy orchestrated by the Clinton's. Notice how this story didn't break until after she was offered and accepted the Secretary of State position. At any rate you know Bill and Hillary are laughing their @sses off.

No conspiracy there. The feds have had their eyes on Blogo for 5 years now.

Obama really put himself in hot water now. Dealing with these Chicago thugs (and being one himself) is going to come back to bite him. Change? Where? Maybe a new record in how many ppl he can payoff. Granted, he isn't being implicated. But he already lied about talking to the governor. A couple of his top staff has told the media, before the arrest, that Obama's been talking to Blogo about his replacement. Now they recant those statements? Give me a break! I think Obama would've been better off to admit he's talked to him, but wouldn't promise anything in trade.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
It's GW's fault.

At least that was my impression when I accidentally had CNN on. When they were running the story they had him pictured with Bush.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
leo, i am :eek:'ed! how can you sy an illinois democrt is corrupt? i lived in chicago nd illinois for 48 years. i have learned that this is the way politics works.:eek: it is the rest of the country who is behind in learning this lesson;).

chicago aldermen going to jail for shaking down patronage workers and asking companies in their district for larger than legal campaign contributions was a way of life.

blogo just got stupid talking on the phone instead of being in a secure environment like a cta station in the subway. no
one can hear a thing when the trains come thru. when al capone needed to talk to someone either that person came to him where it was secure or else it was a sit down meal at a safe family ristorante like in the godfather.

the great political comumnist mike royko once had a column suggesting changing the motto of chicago from "i will" to the new one blogo is practicing.......where's mine?:D

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, considering the fact that 4 of the 6 past governors of Illinois are either in prison or were in prison it's not too surprising. Oh, and 1 of those 4 criminals was a republican. The democrats haven't cornered the market, they're just the leading contender.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
But he already lied about talking to the governor. A couple of his top staff has told the media, before the arrest, that Obama's been talking to Blogo about his replacement. Now they recant those statements? Give me a break! I think Obama would've been better off to admit he's talked to him, but wouldn't promise anything in trade.

Intrigued by your post, I started checking various news sources for confirmation, but found none. What is your source? How do you know Obama talked to the governor about his replacement? Who recanted and what exactly was recanted?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Well, considering the fact that 4 of the 6 past governors of Illinois are either in prison or were in prison it's not too surprising. Oh, and 1 of those 4 criminals was a republican. The democrats haven't cornered the market, they're just the leading contender.

I would hope people could rise above two-party moral score keeping and focus on the real problem.

If I was a Democrat, I could, with little effort, assemble a list of corrupt Republicans. One that comes to mind is that U.S. Senator they busted in a Minnesota airport bathroom, or that senator from Alaska.

If I was a Republican, I could, with little effort, assemble a list of corrupt Democrats. One that comes to mind is the Illinois governor, or the U.S. Congressman in Louisiana that was caught with a load of dirty money in his freezer.

One of the very real disappointments to me since taking up life on the road is discovering the depth and breadth of political corruption nationwide. Almost every day, in almost any community, I can pick up a local newspaper and read about some political person that is in legal, moral or ethical trouble of some sort. It has nothing to do with party affiliation. It has to do with human failings.

When I was active in politics, I saw it first hand. People got elected or appointed to public office with the best of intentions. Then somewhere along the way, they lost their focus and ended up in a bind. Very few of them set out to intentionally do something wrong. The opportunity for wrongdoing comes easy in public office. Officials take their eyes off the moral compass and down they go.

What is the fix? I wish I knew. The solutions are easier to propose than implement. They range from mandatory Bible reading to accountability to ethics boards, to a supportive spouse, to morality training, to peer pressure, to tolerance, to full disclosure, to increased competition, to electoral reform, to rules affecting money flow, to term limits, to ..., to ..., to ....

One thing I know is NOT the solution is making the other side out to be less moral than your side, or your side to be more moral than the other.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Intrigued by your post, I started checking various news sources for confirmation, but found none. What is your source? How do you know Obama talked to the governor about his replacement? Who recanted and what exactly was recanted?

These reports are all over the internet. The most noted quote came from none other than David Axelrod, Obama's senior advisor who also had connections to previous Blogo campaigns. He stated the following during an interview on Fox News in Chicago November 23:

"I know he's talked to the governor and there are a whole range of names many of which have surfaced, and I think he has a fondness for a lot of them."

The following article from ABC News documents this quote and quite a bit of other information regarding the relationship between Obama and the Gov. of IL:

Political Punch

There were other news stories from Carol Stowers and Alexis Hunt of KHQA in Chicago about meetings taking place between the two:

84RULES

One would have to be extremely naive to think that in the world of Chicago politics, anyone who has risen to Obama's level wouldn't be in serious discussions with the Democrat Gov. of the state about the replacement to be named for the seat he is vacating. Whether or not Obama can be tied to the corruption is another story. It will be interesting to see how many people Blogo will try to take down with him once this case gets serious.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
These reports are all over the internet. The most noted quote came from none other than David Axelrod, Obama's senior advisor who also had connections to previous Blogo campaigns. He stated the following during an interview on Fox News in Chicago November 23:

"I know he's talked to the governor and there are a whole range of names many of which have surfaced, and I think he has a fondness for a lot of them."

The following article from ABC News documents this quote and quite a bit of other information regarding the relationship between Obama and the Gov. of IL:

Political Punch

I happen to know Jake Tapper, the ABC News correspondent who wrote the Political Punch piece you cite. He wrote a book on the Jesse Ventura campaign and talked to me regarding it. I believe him to be a good reporter and credible journalist. He is also a fun guy to drink beer with.

Your report of his piece is one-sided. In it, Mr. Tapper also said,

"There are no allegations that President-elect Obama or anyone close to him had anything to do with any of the crimes Gov. Blagojevich is accused of having committed.

"In fact, there are indications that Mr. Obama and his team refused to go along with the 'pay to play' way Blagojevich is accused of operating, offering only "gratitude" if the governor appointed his friend Valerie Jarrett to take his U.S. Senate seat, much to the governor's chagrin."

That is the point I was making by asking THawk for his sources. While there is no doubt in my mind that people will believe what they want to believe regarding political corruption and pay to play, and will base their beliefs on shaky information, some of us still have an interest in the facts.

Hard facts come not from partisan spin masters or from being "all over the internet," but from things like primary-source documents, such as the criminal complaint in this case.

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
One would have to be extremely naive to think that in the world of Chicago politics, anyone who has risen to Obama's level wouldn't be in serious discussions with the Democrat Gov. of the state about the replacement to be named for the seat he is vacating. Whether or not Obama can be tied to the corruption is another story. It will be interesting to see how many people Blogo will try to take down with him once this case gets serious.

You make a good point. I expect the Illinois governor to squeal like a pig when it finally dawns on the guy that he is likely to go to prison. I don't think Obama will be implicated (my opinion, not fact) because of the reports I am reading about the two men simply not liking each other. They have kept a cool distance between themselves for some time.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
when al capone needed to talk to someone either that person came to him where it was secure or else it was a sit down meal at a safe family ristorante like in the godfather.
:D

Maybe Governor Blagojevich's brain pan is a spirochete farm just like Al Capone's was!

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
here is a little article about rod blagos wife and his rise to power and his mentor. please note all you obama bashers(who want him guilty) the final part of this story. also please make note that while people continually take shots at the president elect those people are helping our enemies weaken the confidence of this country. please decide which master to serve.

Illinois first lady scrutinized before husband arrested - CNN.com

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I happen to know Jake Tapper, the ABC News correspondent who wrote the Political Punch piece you cite. He wrote a book on the Jesse Ventura campaign and talked to me regarding it. I believe him to be a good reporter and credible journalist. He is also a fun guy to drink beer with.

Being a member of the unwashed masses, I unfortunately don't have the advantage of having beer-drinking buddies that are movers and shakers in the national political world. Therefore - to paraphrase Will Rogers - all I know is what I read in the newspaper or see on the internet.

Your report of his piece is one-sided. In it, Mr. Tapper also said,

"There are no allegations that President-elect Obama or anyone close to him had anything to do with any of the crimes Gov. Blagojevich is accused of having committed.

"In fact, there are indications that Mr. Obama and his team refused to go along with the 'pay to play' way Blagojevich is accused of operating, offering only "gratitude" if the governor appointed his friend Valerie Jarrett to take his U.S. Senate seat, much to the governor's chagrin."

My post was not a report - it was an statement that included a short quote relative to your original question which inquired whether or not Obama and Blogo had spoken about the vacant senate seat. I also said there was "quite a bit of other information" and linked the entire article for everyone to read and form their own opinions.

That is the point I was making by asking THawk for his sources. While there is no doubt in my mind that people will believe what they want to believe regarding political corruption and pay to play, and will base their beliefs on shaky information, some of us still have an interest in the facts.

We're not talking about "shaky information" here. There's no denying the fact that Axelrod made the statement - by now, most everyone has seen the recording. It's common knowledge that Axelrod is Obama's most senior advisor and knows both parties very well. The Obama camp claimed he "misspoke", but not until after the Gov. was arrested and all these charges came to light. He made this statement on two different TV shows, so it couldn't have been something that just slipped by them unnoticed. Why didn't they release an immediate correction after the first interview instead of allowing him to repeat it? If there's any spin involved, it's coming from the Obama camp.

Hard facts come not from partisan spin masters or from being "all over the internet," but from things like primary-source documents, such as the criminal complaint in this case.

There's a difference between editorializing and objectively reporting facts. I'll be the first to admit these two activities are blurred quite a bit these days, but there are still a few reporters that manage to expose factual information to the public. Were the reports from KHQA regarding meetings between the Gov. and Obama factual? Hard to tell, since they've been swept under the rug, but I don't see anyone specifically refuting them yet. There's a lot more still to come out in this case that's not included in the criminal complaint.

On another note, one of these days I need to get somebody on this site to explain how to parse statements into the separate blue boxes and post responses individually. In spite of being an old dog, it would be nice to learn this new trick.:confused:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Just to be clear, I do not know Jake Tapper well and he would have to think a bit to remember me. He is not a regular drinking buddy, just a fun guy I met at a party once. At the time he was not an ABC News reporter.