Conway

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

Its been a long time since I ran with con-way in a van

I would like to hear more from broke

this isnt being negitive it is a fact about con-way and cargo vans when I ran them in 99 or so.

is this still the same?con-way used try and send me on runs that paid like .78 a mile this was when fuel was .99-1.05 per gallon
never heard of a fuel surcharge then so my question is with the fuel surcharge what is your average run paying?

I would like to know from o/os with panther also
when I ran vans with them in 97-98 they paid .90 per loaded mile
with no fuel surcharge but again with the price of fuel double that at what it was then im sure you drivers for them would laugh at the thought of hauling a van load for .90 a mile now wouldnt you?
let me know please.

cause if any of these companies paid there owner/ops that then
if they are any good whatsoever with fuel and operating expence up so much they are taking care of you guys arent they?

you guys do much better than this dont you?

thats not being negitive and as far as a coffee table well I as the user of this board clicked on his conversation didnt I?

New or not I want to hear more from you.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

on a positive note I will tell you as an independent they laugh at me when I call about most the ltl loads I run and ask most brokers for fuel on top of the rate.So I guess something is better than nothing.
Most brokers just try and say thats with fuel included

creekindian33

Expert Expediter
r u talking abought class b lisc if so u have miss understood the way i read it was conway is taking only one persent of what they charge customer now instead of charging customer fsc by load itll be charged by mile which for me its 23 cent a mile which is a hell of a lot better then what i was getting:7

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
KW, Con-Way pays vans .80 per mile plus f.s.c. For the coming week the D.O.E states average price of diesel is $2.45 per gallon. I don't understand how they arrive at an average price before the fact, but $2.45 is the magic number. Con-Way's formula is national average minus $1.25 divided by 13. That means that this weeks fuel surcharge for vans will be 9 cents. .80 + .09 = (drum roll please) (the excitement builds) 89 cents per mile. That U.S not Canadian cents.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Is it possible that some carriers, including Conway, don't get FSC from all their customers because of contractual reasons and, since they don't pay O/O a percentage, they average all the FSC monies they receive and dole it out on a pro rata basis.

Just a thought. I feel confident that Conway would explain their policy if someone would ask them instead of hypothesizing on the internet.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not hypothesizing. I have my yet to be signed contract addendum in front of me at this very moment.It's all spelled out in black and white. It even has a chart listing national fuel average and the corresponding rate per loaded mile. Fuel average goes from $1.25 to $3.55. And f.s.c is .01 to .18.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
moot:

I wasn't questioning your figures or your integrity. My point was not to question the formula, but to provide a possible reason as to why they only pay you the little bit that they do. Without asking Conway how they decided on their formula, you'll never know if you are getting the 100% that the customer pays.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That would be my question. For the customers that pay .30 and .40 cents per mile, where does the extra fuel surcharge go? A specific clarification would be great from Conway as it is confusing based on the current information.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good point. I will call them tomorrow and ask. I have found them difficult to get a straight answer from on prior occasions. Cutting fuel surcharge paid to the o/o wil certainly improve their bottom line. Also if there is a line of van owners knocking at their door to sign on then this could be a herd thinning tactic. I know they lost some oldtimers last year when the vans took a cut in pay.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Still - I'm with you on this one. Maybe the powers that be would have been happier if you had posed this revelation as a question seeking confirmation rather than a statement. However, that's just quibbling over form as opposed to content. Out of twenty-some responses to this post, I don't see anyone disputing your claim and I'm sure there are people from ConWay that monitor this forum. Maybe one of them will come forward and clarify their policy. However,you were certainly nowhere near CB chatter with your statement - and the idea that you should build up some positive "brownie points" before you can put up a post that questions a policy of a major advertiser is just plain silly. Also, the condescending lectures on internet manners should be saved for the people whose posts really do go over the top.

Bottom line is that it appears ConWay is playing games with the FSC calculation and pocketing some for themselves. If this really is the case, they certainly wouldn't be the only carrier that does this. Only a tiny fraction of customers still get away paying no FSC - and the vast majority that do pay are under the assumption that this surcharge goes 100% to the drivers, if they're owner-operators.

That's my 3 cents worth - including a 1 cent surcharge.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Different customers may have specific ways of calculating their FSC depending on their contract (if they have one). ConWay - or any other carrier for that matter - will have a standard calculation they use for non-contracted customers. It could be a percentage of the linehaul charges, or it could be on a cents-per-mile basis. Either way it will fluctuate weekly with the national diesel averages and the entire amount of the FSC should go to the owner-operators. If they're not giving you the entire amount, they should be able to explain why.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
i agree to ask the carrier first about any questions..concerning any rates or any pay.But discussionby this forum "open" as it suggests.only strengthens our position as o/os. the carrierer will find it much tougher to pamphlet their o/o programs with scrutiny,and holding their feet to fire will keep them competative reguarding our role in partenership with them. So lawrence.with all do respect, a little scrutiny of a company wont hurt much if done respectivly..So shine the light in all the corners. News travels fast,and so do I.

G

I am having a VERY hard time seeing how the fsc change will have any effect other than paying less fsc to virtually all Con Way Now trucks and Con Way Now is certainly free to make business decisions such as this one. However, I really hope that no one is being told that they are going to be receiving about the same fsc as they have in the past, it is just going to be calculated differently, because that does not appear to be the case. As Dave pointed out, there are some customers who pay a fsc in the .30+ range and if the new formula only pays .15 then someone else is getting the rest of it. I note, however, that the hypothetical big customer that only pays .12 will result in a higher fsc for loads under the new formula.

Perhaps there will be a fsc pooled fund and any surplus will be distributed to the trucks at the end of the year.;)

StillGoinBroke

Expert Expediter
Well I for one have never seen any fsc's in the .30 and up range,the highest I may have received is in the low to mid 20's and very few of them. Con-way has some customers that pay a very low fsc and some that don't pay any at all. One that I know of pay's .04 cpm. I'm sure they were having problems getting some of these loads covered especially if they were taking you to a low or no freight area. You can't blame a driver for turning some of these loads down because they are in this to make money and some of those loads just aren't profitable. So maybe Con-Way thinks that by doing this formula it will get more drivers to accept these loads but overall were still losing alot of money. What Con-Way needs to do is tell these customers that were sorry but we need to charge more for a fsc to provide you with the level of service you expect. But they probably figure the customer will go elsewhere, and they might, but I don't think they will find anyone other then a mom and pop operation that only have a couple of trucks to to haul their freight. Yes I know there is a chance that a bigger company may jump on it and thats the sad part, all these expediting company's cutting each others throats. I say let them have it. I know G.M. was having a problem getting loads covered and their fsc went up. A friend of mine at panther said they are paying .14 cpm now and with Con-Ways formula we would lose .05 cpm. When a company loses money on their bottom line it's a major deal but if an O/O does oh well were just supposed to accept it or move on. Con-Way sent out this addendum to the contract which were supposed to sign accepting this new fsc rate or I guess if you don't, oh well it was a pleasure but go somewhere else. whats the point of having a contract if the company can just change it anytime they please to suit themselves. Nothing like having a gun put to your head. And Mike, as far as the bigger companys that only pay .12 cpm at this weeks fuel average we would lose .03 cpm.

( Now that was venting )

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Our contracts "continually renew". It saves them from having to assemble a new one for everyone every year, or whatever the time period. It also allows them to easily make changes like this at will.

sunshinetomorow

Expert Expediter
sunshine to all
regarding conway/fsc and misinformation from pprevious post. When I signed on with conway in 04 I asked ooida to check them out for me and they came back with there was no I repeat no driver complaints against conway so I signed on. I told recruiter could not drive for .77 mi and was told that they comanded the best rates and .62 of load would be higher than .77. Befor the forced .80 mile contract in 05, the best load pay was 1.00, i had 4 of them the rest were you guessed it .77. I called ooida and told them I was giving them their first complaint . Too bad other drivers hadn't done so previous to my inquire. I also waited with another conway driver in chicago and heard him receive five offers and then on fifth he suggested that they offer load to me and no i was not fifth in line. You can read that how you like. They are almost as expensive to work for as nations express and if you get the loads fine if not you can go broke like i did. If we as drivers don't stick together and tell it like it is then this might as well be a recruiter site. May the roads be safe for you all.:*

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

Thanks I was just wondering if it is any better now with them than it was 5 years ago.and as you just pointed out the rate is not much better if any than it was five years ago even with the cost of fuel double what it was then.

now when they broker it out they pay around 1.30 for cargo van loads

So since I have been in the expedite biz for more than 5 years

I would say it would be in anyones best interest to work for con-way
as an outside carrier

today I got bid request on 5-10 van loads.from con-way not many considering they are spread out over the entire 48 states and canada

alot more trator and straight freight but if enough van drivers got ##### off over the fsc and left then they would have to broker out the van freight or lose customers

targuard86

Expert Expediter
FedEx has a set fuel surcharge for E units. The pay it on ALL dispatched miles so I guess it all works out since FCC is paying it even when their is no customer to bill it to.

huntn1

Expert Expediter
well fuel is going back up to 3.00 a gallon with the problems in iran and nigeria so when it does see if your fuel sc goes up. i dont have to jump ship because it just ran aground.