Continuous DEF Problems with Sprinters

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Plan on having more problems in the future. There are plenty of horror stories about these types of problems. I wish you well and hope your problems will not come back or happen again.
A little bit pessimistic, aren't we?

There are more out there that don't have problems than the ones that do, but unfortunately we don't hear about those.

Reactions: in-Transit

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Just curious, do the def problems occur with the new 4 cylinder also? Hope someone with a 4 cyl can answer.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Stay safe
KG

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have 2014, 90000 miles with zero issue

Make sure you put lots of money aside for maintenance. Once you get around 150,000 miles your emissions system components will start having problems. That's when you can expect to start having $1,000 - $2,000 repairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Update on my 2011: Dealer was able to fix all problems causing two fault codes and one monitor failing to clear, and it has now passed smog check, so good for two more years.

The problems turned out to be DPFilter particulate reading too high (what I suspected as main problem), AdBlue system fault (the 2nd fault code I found), and SCR catalytic fault (one of the monitors that would not clear during drive cycle).

The fix was two new Nox sensors, clogged AdBlue injector cleaned, computer software update, and a regen cycle to clean the DPF (successful), so now back on the road.

CEL did not come on while driving up the steep grade, as it would always do before. Wallet is now almost $2k lighter, but at least they spared me another $1648 if the DPF had needed replacing!

Dan, thanks for the sprinter-source link. I've been a member for a couple of years now, and about the only advice I could get on my problem was "take it to the dealer", which I've now done.
I own a 2011 2500 Sprinter and it has 310K on it. This year have had the NOx Sensor. Oxygen Sensor and the DPF Sensor replaced. New Alternator last year. So, I am expecting these to reoccur of course around that mileage again. I have no regrets buying this extended Sprinter and I am ever so thankful for finding an awesome Independent Sprinter Mechanic in Toledo, Ohio.

Reactions: in-Transit

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
320,000 mi on my 2012 sprinter and no problems other than a high pressure fuel line leak and a belt tensioner go bad.

Reactions: FlyingVan

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
Glad to hear that not everyone is having trouble. Mine went about 10K just clearing the CEL before it finally triggered the countdown again. I got that reset and I'm going to see how far it will go before it happens again. If and when it does I will attempt to solve that pesky DEF problem permanently. ;)

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Glad to hear that not everyone is having trouble. Mine went about 10K just clearing the CEL before it finally triggered the countdown again. I got that reset and I'm going to see how far it will go before it happens again. If and when it does I will attempt to solve that pesky DEF problem permanently. ;)
Yeah rip that :censoredsign: out!

Reactions: fenderbender

Chkwq

New Recruit
I have the 2.1. Brand new, 1700ish miles and it's currently being serviced for a def issue.

trobertson

Rookie Expediter
Here's an article I posted on linked in on Apr 24th this year...
To be fair we actually had a couple of them reach the 150,000 mile mark without too many problems however, 2 out of the total number is not exactly stacking the odds in anyones favor. If you haven't had any problems with your post 2008 model yet, just give it a little more time.

The Fatal Flaw of Mercedes Benz Sprinters

Apr 24, 2015
This article is my personal opinion, based upon my experiences with Mercedes Benz Sprinter vans. Please understand that these vehicles are used in a commercial trucking application with annual average mileages exceeding 100,000 miles, and that I am not an automotive or diesel expert. The majority, but not all of the problems occurring with these vehicles occurred after the initial 100,000 miles. It is my belief that the problems I have experienced, will occur with a vast majority of every Sprinter as the mileage of each vehicle approaches 120,000 miles. Only 3 vehicles have reached 150,000 miles without serious charges for maintenance.to the EGR-DEF- exhaust system.

Over the past 7 years I have owned a total of 47 Sprinters. I own an expedited trucking company and keep detailed maintenance and repair records on every vehicle. These records are available to Mercedes Benz if desired. This article is being written to warn potential buyers of this vehicle of the fatal flaw hidden in each of these vehicles.

Prior to 2008, when the United States Government mandated diesel exhaust regulations, the Sprinter, manufactured by Mercedes Benz and sold as a Dodge was a real workhorse. These vehicles performed admirably, providing us with lifetime expected mileages of 500,000 and more. The cost for maintaining these vehicles while slightly higher than their American made counterparts made up for these differences with their reliability and long term service.

Since 2008 Mercedes Benz developed an extremely complex and expensive exhaust system to comply with our government regulations. Prior to entering the exhaust system the fumes from the engine pass through an EGR valve. The exhaust system is comprised of a CDI (control unit) which monitors and actuates the sensors and valves in the exhaust system; a DEF pump. A DEF tank, a DEF temp sensor, a DEF level sensor and an SCR control unit with actuators and sensors. These items a located under the hood. The actual exhaust system has three major components; the OXI-Cat and DPF section and two SCR Cat sections. The OXI-Cat section has an oxygen sensor an exhaust temperature sensor and a backpressure sensor. There is a N0x sensor and a dosing valve between the OXI-Cat section and the first SCR Cat section. In the first SCR Cat section there is another temperature sensor, and the last SCR section has one more N0x sensor. Once the exhausted fumes and particles have passed through this area they are passed through a particulate filter.

If any of these parts fails prepare to pay as little as $600 for a N0x sensor (there are two), or approximately $800-$1000 for an EGR valve, to a couple of thousand for a SCR catalytic converter (there are two) or a particulate filter (thankfully only one).

In addition to the complexity of the system, you now must deal with each dealership and their pricing for parts and services. Sprinters are serviced by Mercedes Benz dealerships across the country. An oil change can cost as little as $170 at one dealership to as much as $400 by many others. The repairs to your exhaust system can vary almost as much as their prices to perform a simple oil change.

Further complicating the problems with this vehicle is the lack of reliability to the repairs made by each dealership. We have had numerous “repairs” performed at various dealerships at costs of $2000, only to have the engine light appear again within a few hundred miles. Then when taken to another dealership the “problem” is diagnosed as another sensor or valve and once again we have been charged up to $2000. Mercedes Benz diagnoses of the check engine light are unreliable and many times we have been charged for repairs that do not resolve the problem.

If the system becomes completely clogged and the entire system needs replacement, prepare to pay approximately $6000. You read that correctly…$6000.

Mercedes Benz Sprinter fatal flaw is directly related to the components involved with their exhaust system. The cost in maintaining and repairing these vehicles is a staggering average of .10 cents per mile. Compare that figure to less than two cents a mile for that of their American counterparts made by Dodge Ram’s ProMaster and Ford’s Transit.

Another contributing factor to Mercedes Sprinter ownership woes, is that Mercedes Benz dealership’s treat the maintenance and repairs of a “commercial vehicle” no differently than their luxury vehicles. Mercedes Benz needs develop a dramatically less expensive exhaust system, or replace the diesel engine with an efficient 6 cylinder gas engine if they plan to continue to sell these vehicles as commercial trucks and compete effectively against Ford and Dodge.

If you plan to use your Sprinter as a true commercial vehicle, and plan to drive more than 50,000 miles a year, it would serve you well to look at the Ford Transit or Ram ProMaster. Consider nothing more than the differences in the costs of oil changes…Ford or Ram $30- $40…Mercedes Sprinter $170-$400. Now look at the cost for the first 100,000 miles $300-$400 for the others vs $1700-$4000 for the Sprinter. The differences in other routine maintenance items are relatively consistent with the differences seen for oil changes.

When you couple the excessive charges for routine maintenance with the astronomical charges for repairs to the items associated with the EGR-DEF- Exhaust System, the cost of ownership is an expense that can greatly affect your bottom line. Our expenses for a fleet of 28 Sprinter vans (2012’s & 2013’s) in 2014 was a staggering $270,000! That’s nearly $10,000 per van per year in maintenance and repairs. Can your business afford such an expense? I can assure you that mine cannot. With the odds at 6.4% of a Sprinter reaching 150,000 miles without very costly repairs, we are replacing these vehicles as quickly as we can get the ProMasters and Transits delivered.

While I am informed by my local dealership in Louisville that their sales have never been higher for the first quarter of previous years, it is my belief that when the truth of the fatal flaw is known, their sales will plummet.

Wake up Mercedes Benz! If you’re going to compete in the commercial truck market in the United States, lower your parts and service rates and give us a gas engine without the present diesel exhaust system- The fatal flaw of the Mercedes Benz Sprinter.

By the way, I have cleaned house trading in or selling all my 2012's, 2013 and one 2014...We'll be analyzing the Dodge Promasters and Ford Transits over the next 200,000 + miles for maintenance and repair costs, as well as performance, weight capabilities and trade in value to determine our ROI. I for one will not be buying a Sprinter or any other van with a diesel engine...the problem is not a Mercedes exclusive, but they certainly have the highest cost for repairs of ANY vehicle I've ever owned. And that statement alone should be reason enough for anyone thinking about investing in a Sprinter, to think otherwise. You've been warned by someone who probably has owned more Sprinters than anyone on this forum. What I will not be surprised about is that someone who has never owned a Sprinter reading all the negatives about it, will somehow justify to themselves that all of these issues can be avoided by (insert something nonsensical) and will pull the trigger on a new 2014 or 2015 Sprinter only to find their probable solution to our problems was not the answer. I was able to weather the storm of the nearly 10 cents a mile maintenance and repairs...will you be able to do the same?

Tom Robertson
A. Blair Enterprises, Inc.
Louisville, KY

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
And that doesn't even consider the rising levels of bio-diesel being blended into the diesel available at the pumps. B-20 will be the new normal. Those emissions system really do NOT like Bio.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And that doesn't even consider the rising levels of bio-diesel being blended into the diesel available at the pumps. B-20 will be the new normal. Those emissions system really do NOT like Bio.

when I see pumps labelled ...." May contain 5% -20 % bio" I hate that...you'd think they could narrow that down a bit...

Reactions: vandriver2

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
That's why I stop using P/J fuels! I fuel at regular gas stations that sell diesel. Like BP, Shell, Speedway ect. Pure diesel if very little bio blend. My sprinter runs so much better its shocking! Lol

Reactions: vandriver2

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
when I see pumps labelled ...." May contain 5% -20 % bio" I hate that...you'd think they could narrow that down a bit...
I talk to a P/J fuel guy and he told me the reason that they put that 5% to 20% on the pumps is cause it covers them in case there bio is more then 5%. At the end of the day its all about money!