Continuous DEF Problems with Sprinters

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
I have put in the last 3 months almost $8000. in def anf dpf repairs alone. I would not recommend buying a used sprinter unless the seller has receipts in hand for all this. Once it starts to go plan on every 500 miles another check engine lite or a def countdown. Its been absolutely insane! I will never recover all the downtime.

OK. I have found a OBD scanner that will clear the check engine light. It's a CRP 129 "launch" I think is the brand. A friend of mine is a BMW tech. It's his. I'm borrowing it for now. He wanted me to see if it would work. It did clear the engine light. The trick to make it "talk to the Sprinter" is this.... Tell it you have a GL 350. That has the same 3 liter diesel. It won't talk to a Sprinter. Apparently you need to buy seperate software for that. I don't know yet if it will clear the countdown. I hope I can continue to catch the engine light and stop it there. It shows an emissions code. Then asks if you want to clear it.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On our 2011 if we top off DEF tank every 1000 miles or 3rd fill up, it doesn't trip the countdown or CEL. Might have something to do with the top fluid sensor and how it interacts with the rest of the BS. Most of the time the countdown will cancel with enough cold starts and a topped off tank, but the CEL remans on.

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
I've been trying that for the last 6 or 7k. Topping it off every 800 to 1000 miles. It hasn't made a difference with the CEL. I have noticed, now that I can clear my own CEL, that it trips about every 2000 to 2500 miles. So far, I just stop, clear it and go on. As of now, clearing the code seems to have stopped the countdown from triggering. Fingers crossed.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
give brett whitney at tysingers in hampton va he will be able to help you out
his phone number is 757 251 2056

Reactions: fenderbender

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
Well, just an update on my DEF trouble. After using the scan tool to clear the CEL about 4 more times, it seems to have stopped tripping the CEL. Knock on veneer. I've been somewhere around 8K now with no light. I'm also continuing to fill the DEF tank around 1000K just for good measure.
I'll see if posting this jinxes it.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
http://www.sciencealert.com/audi-have-successfully-made-diesel-fuel-from-air-and-water

Maybe with this fuel, we could ditch the problematic garbage on thecars and trucks, get our power, fuel economy and reliability back, and still appease the fools who believe in the "climate change" myth.

Cool idea but more energy will go into making this fuel than the engine will create when burning it.

Also nox will still be created as it is a by product of high combustion temps and not because of the fuel.

Gasoline engines produce nox too but is much easier to control with egr, but there might come a time when even gasoline engines require a scr type system to reduce emissions.

Reactions: gotto_03801

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
you need to use new mb oil it is low ash

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
Well, just an update on my DEF trouble. After using the scan tool to clear the CEL about 4 more times, it seems to have stopped tripping the CEL. Knock on veneer. I've been somewhere around 8K now with no light. I'm also continuing to fill the DEF tank around 1000K just for good measure.
I'll see if posting this jinxes it.
Update: I was afraid it was too good to last. After around 18K of clearing the CEL whenever it lit up, the countdown is back. My scanner won't reset that. I'm in Nashville now waiting to unload. I'm going to head over to dealer when empty. I hope they can reset it quickly so I don't have to go out of service. This damn thing will break me yet.

Reactions: ntimevan

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
Update: I was afraid it was too good to last. After around 18K of clearing the CEL whenever it lit up, the countdown is back. My scanner won't reset that. I'm in Nashville now waiting to unload. I'm going to head over to dealer when empty. I hope they can reset it quickly so I don't have to go out of service. This **** thing will break me yet.
I took it to the Freightliner dealer there in Nashville. Also a Sprinter shop. They were unable to reset it as well. They did update the software though. They spent about 30 to 40 minutes on it. They didn't even charge me for their time. If only it would have worked! So, I'm out of service again heading for home again. I'm just at a loss for what to do. I hate that a defective product is putting me out of business and potentially going to ruin my good credit. Feeling more than frustrated.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Purchased New May 2011 - 2500 Ext. 170 Sprinter
Front Struts & Alternator bad at about 285K
Oxygen Sensor & NOx Sensor bad at about 300K
Change my Fuel Filter, Engine & Cabin Filters every 6 months
Oil and Oil Filter change every 10K
Top off DEF Monthly.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it's going to reset itself it will probably be well before two starts. Sounds like your doing it right.

SoaringBob

New Recruit
I'm not a trucker, but a search for DEF problems led me here! In reading through the posts, I'm not the only one with Sprinter CEL and DEF troubles.

I bought my 2011 3500 long tall from a trucking company with 173k on it, and it now has 192k on the odometer. They trade them in every couple of years, so it wasn't sold because of the error code problems, as I know the regular driver as a friend. He says they did regular maintenance, but do use generic DEF fluid from a 55 gal drum, didn't worry about fluid expiration, and probably didn't worry about the low ash oil requirement. In the two years I've owned it, I've used the 2.5 gal Peak BlueDEF containers sold by Wallmart, and have kept an eye on manufacturer dates, along with use of low ash oil.

Passing smog was not a problem in Cali until this month. Two years ago it was just a matter of not having the CEL on and it would pass, but now Cali requires there be no fault codes in memory, and no more than two monitors not closed (various sensors). My CEL could be cleared simply by going through 4-5 engine restarts, but would come back on as soon as I hit the steep grade on my way home. And there would always be at least one fault code in memory, P2BAD (generic scanner fault which has to do with the diesel particulate filter), and sometimes P2BA9, which has to do with DEF quality.

Whenever I added a container of DEF the P2BA9 code usually appeared after hearing those horrendous beeps and 10 ReStarts remaining message, then all would return to normal after the DEF check message ran its check. When I first got the van and the first time that ReStarts remaining message appeared, but didn''t clear by adding fluid, I ended up draining all of the DEF out, and started with 5 gallons of fresh liquid, and the ReStarts message then cleared.

In my efforts at fixing problems, and wanting to put off paying for a new dpf (trucking company told me they need new dpfilters at 175k), I discovered something that may be of use for you guys who are worried about having the 10 ReStarts message appear while on the road. Yes, generic scanners will clear fault codes from memory, but they will not get rid of the ReStarts Remaining message until the problem that caused the message is fixed.

There is a computer program called MB Star, or Star Diagnostic System, google both, that I hear will reset the ReStarts Remaining message, but verify before purchase as not all systems will do this. The message will appear again until the underlying problem is fixed, but at least you should be able to continue down the road knowing you can add more restarts. It will also run the regen cycle on command. This is the program used by MB dealers and mechanics. Supposedly it is not available to the general public, and costs something like $3000 anyway, but those crafty Chinese hackers have come up with a clone of it for a few hundred bucks.

It usually bothers me to support hackers, but since MB is doing its best to screw me with super expensive repairs for highly secretive problems, that bothers me even more!

I have not purchased the system myself (yet), but you can read more about these diagnostics gizmo's here:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230-sl-class/1573730-chinese-mb-star-scanners.html
http://www.mercupgrades.com/star+diagnosis+information-article-24.html
http://www.cardiagnostics.be/-now/DAS-WIS.htm#Mercedes-Benz_Star_Diagnosis_System_(SDS)

SoaringBob

New Recruit
http://www.sciencealert.com/audi-have-successfully-made-diesel-fuel-from-air-and-water

Maybe with this fuel, we could ditch the problematic garbage on thecars and trucks, get our power, fuel economy and reliability back, and still appease the fools who believe in the "climate change" myth.

Gotto, I think there is a very cheap solution to the statement in the article "the e-diesel will sell to the public for between 1 and 1.50 Euros per litre, dependent on the cost of renewable electricity." coming shortly to take care of a supply of cheap electricity. This is even more amazing than the creation of diesel from water and air! If you remember back to 1989 and the announcement of "cold fusion", which was quickly dismissed, well turns out it was very real. Many scientists continued to work on it, and are now successful, so it's just a matter of time for this new technology to make it to market. The most famous is the e-cat (google it), but even if that turns out to be a scam company, there is much proof that it works. Here is a teaser video:

Don't laugh, as you may be driving an electric semi in 20 years!

SoaringBob

New Recruit
Update on my 2011: Dealer was able to fix all problems causing two fault codes and one monitor failing to clear, and it has now passed smog check, so good for two more years.

The problems turned out to be DPFilter particulate reading too high (what I suspected as main problem), AdBlue system fault (the 2nd fault code I found), and SCR catalytic fault (one of the monitors that would not clear during drive cycle).

The fix was two new Nox sensors, clogged AdBlue injector cleaned, computer software update, and a regen cycle to clean the DPF (successful), so now back on the road.

CEL did not come on while driving up the steep grade, as it would always do before. Wallet is now almost $2k lighter, but at least they spared me another $1648 if the DPF had needed replacing!

Dan, thanks for the sprinter-source link. I've been a member for a couple of years now, and about the only advice I could get on my problem was "take it to the dealer", which I've now done.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Update on my 2011: Dealer was able to fix all problems causing two fault codes and one monitor failing to clear, and it has now passed smog check, so good for two more years.

The problems turned out to be DPFilter particulate reading too high (what I suspected as main problem), AdBlue system fault (the 2nd fault code I found), and SCR catalytic fault (one of the monitors that would not clear during drive cycle).

The fix was two new Nox sensors, clogged AdBlue injector cleaned, computer software update, and a regen cycle to clean the DPF (successful), so now back on the road.

CEL did not come on while driving up the steep grade, as it would always do before. Wallet is now almost $2k lighter, but at least they spared me another $1648 if the DPF had needed replacing!

Dan, thanks for the sprinter-source link. I've been a member for a couple of years now, and about the only advice I could get on my problem was "take it to the dealer", which I've now done.

Plan on having more problems in the future. There are plenty of horror stories about these types of problems. I wish you well and hope your problems will not come back or happen again.