Continuous DEF Problems with Sprinters

eded5215

Rookie Expediter
I have had the same exact problems. ..112, 000. The last 6 weeks I've had dpf filter replaced the def lines, the tank heater, sending unit. Looks like I'll need more repairs.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did they offer to do a driving regeneration before they said you needed your dpf replaced?

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
I have had the same exact problems. ..112, 000. The last 6 weeks I've had dpf filter replaced the def lines, the tank heater, sending unit. Looks like I'll need more repairs.
I have had enough with mine. I told my dealer I am getting a different van. I have two promasters located and my dealer found me a 2015 2.1 liter Sprinter. I'm planning to trade mine with whoever gives me the best deal.
Keep us updated with your situation. I'll keep you posted on mine. Good luck!

UPDATE: I just left a meeting with my MB dealer. The same dealer where I bought my van. MB of NWA. This is also where I have had every single service done. I was told that They could only give me 18K for my 2013 170" high roof with 155K. That's WITH an extra $1000 that MB kicked in for my trouble. So, really just $17K. They said that's what they sell them for with 150K. I purchased my van from them 17 months ago. according to them, it has depreciated over $26,000 in that time. Depreciation was one of the things I was worried about with the Promaster. Hmmm... Anyway, That's where I'm at on my deal so far. So, if anyone is interested in Buying 170" Sprinters with 150K for around $17K, I know the dealer that sells them for that!

Last edited:

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
I would start with the drivers and anyone who would have any reason to be under the hood, to have the same problems with all 3 sounds like someone is pouring something other that def in the def tank. It may or may not be intentional but it sounds like its costing you alot of money and downtime.
I am having the same issues with my 2013. I bought it new. No one has driven it but me. every service has been done at the dealer where I bought it. It started this DEF countdown nonsense at 120K. It has never been run out of fluid. I have been meticulous about servicing and maintaining it. I just picked it up from the dealer for the 4th time with this issue. They admit that MB doesn't know how to fix them. They receive many with the same issue. This is a defect in the system somewhere. All I know for sure is once these problems start, you can no longer trust the van. This is my second Sprinter and I'm pretty sure after the service I've received with this one, it will be my last. I only hope it doesn't break me in the mean time.

eded5215

Rookie Expediter
I have put in the last 3 months almost $8000. in def anf dpf repairs alone. I would not recommend buying a used sprinter unless the seller has receipts in hand for all this. Once it starts to go plan on every 500 miles another check engine lite or a def countdown. Its been absolutely insane! I will never recover all the downtime.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Here's a sick idea, remove the newer motor and all the def crapola, and refit with a rebuilt pre def motor, win win, you get a newer unit, with less mile, and a non rusted body, sell the motor and def parts to a newer unit owner for spares! Ok I'll go back to my room now.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Here's a sick idea, remove the newer motor and all the def crapola, and refit with a rebuilt pre def motor, win win, you get a newer unit, with less mile, and a non rusted body, sell the motor and def parts to a newer unit owner for spares! Ok I'll go back to my room now.
Unfortunately it is not that easy. Many of the 10 or so computers in a sprinter are VIN speciffic. So, unless you plan on reusing everything from the older sprinter, like dashboard, and shifter and abs and esp and xxx and yyy modules, you probably will run into issues that you will be pulling your hair out. Basically you would only use the shell from the newer sprinter.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Unfortunately it is not that easy. Many of the 10 or so computers in a sprinter are VIN speciffic. So, unless you plan on reusing everything from the older sprinter, like dashboard, and shifter and abs and esp and xxx and yyy modules, you probably will run into issues that you will be pulling your hair out. Basically you would only use the shell from the newer sprinter.

Aftermarket glider kit for the sprinter but I really doubt that would ever happen maybe I should have stayed in my corner! It was worth the thought though I'm always thinking outside the box..... Win a few lose a few

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Aftermarket glider kit for the sprinter but I really doubt that would ever happen maybe I should have stayed in my corner! It was worth the thought though I'm always thinking outside the box..... Win a few lose a few
By any means, speak your mind. You are not the only one thinking about this. I have in the past, and many others probably.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You know scr systems are not that complicated 2 nox sensors, a tank with a pump and heater in it and lines to inject the def into the converter.

One thing I did notice is that the nox sensors don't communicate directly with the ecm, they are part of the can bus, wonder if there are errors that cause them to not communicate?

Question for you guys do you have an ac inverter that runs all the time? Maybe "noise" from it is causing can bus errors. I'm just suggesting it because there are many large trucks on the road that use def and not many have issues.

I would love to get my hands one one of these to see if I can figure it out.

One more question to see if anyone has tried it.... When the countdown is over and it won't start, has anyone tried to jump the starter relay to get it to crank? And if so, will it start?

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
You know scr systems are not that complicated 2 nox sensors, a tank with a pump and heater in it and lines to inject the def into the converter.

One thing I did notice is that the nox sensors don't communicate directly with the ecm, they are part of the can bus, wonder if there are errors that cause them to not communicate?

Question for you guys do you have an ac inverter that runs all the time? Maybe "noise" from it is causing can bus errors. I'm just suggesting it because there are many large trucks on the road that use def and not many have issues.

I would love to get my hands one one of these to see if I can figure it out.

One more question to see if anyone has tried it.... When the countdown is over and it won't start, has anyone tried to jump the starter relay to get it to crank? And if so, will it start?

I personally don't run an inverter. So far I have been able to get mine to a dealer before reaching(0 starts). I have been down to two starts. I have had a pretty lengthy discussion with the service manager at my dealership. He says MB is trying to pin this issue down but it's not easy. It seems to be more of a software issue than an actual component issue. I have started trying to locate a scan tool that will clear the countdown. No luck so far. Mercedes seems much more concerned with squeezing every penny from their customers than insuring their satisfaction. I am a bit bitter at this point though.

eded5215

Rookie Expediter
The mb dealer did a driving regen on it and that failed. I have had the dpf removed and the
center filter was shattered and came out in chunks.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For non def sprinters theres plenty of them running with the dpf hollowed out or removed. Owners just live with CEL on.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For non def sprinters theres plenty of them running with the dpf hollowed out or removed. Owners just live with CEL on.

The thing with the scr system is that there is a government mandate that says there must be a way to disable the vehicle if the system is not working, the way I read into it.

eded5215

Rookie Expediter
Is there any merit to the sinewaves in my power inverter causing interference with the computer in the ecm?

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Is there any merit to the sinewaves in my power inverter causing interference with the computer in the ecm?

My thought is that under normal circumstances no, but I believe it is possible. If you have a pure sine wave inverter I believe it would create less "noise" and have a less chance of interference.

Are you getting strange can bus errors on your vehicle?