con-way sells out

jon_boys trkin

Seasoned Expediter
well i have been driving a truck for 20 years and just recently moved from tractor to str8 trk conway was a good company to me and as i know nothing about panther i hope i have a good relationship with them until they get gobbled up

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You will do great. If things stay on this path, Panther will be doing all the gobbling.
Watch in the coming months.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

rdrumend

Seasoned Expediter
I hope you are wrong! Panther already pays B Units a sub-standard rate. They have some older drivers at 85 cpm because they contracted at that rate, but all the new hires come in at 77 cpm which is below the industry standard. That is essentially a 10% decline in loaded mile compensation. One would think that if a company in experiencing growth ALL concerned parties would realize an increase in profits.

Many fast mover coporate officers have boasted about gobbling up the competition. In the final analysis it was simply a matter of: "Go on, take the money and run." You might recall WorldComm, Tyco and Enron.

scootr68

Expert Expediter
>I hope you are wrong! Panther already pays B Units a
>sub-standard rate. They have some older drivers at 85 cpm
>because they contracted at that rate, but all the new hires
>come in at 77 cpm which is below the industry standard. That
>is essentially a 10% decline in loaded mile compensation.
>One would think that if a company in experiencing growth ALL
>concerned parties would realize an increase in profits.
>
>Many fast mover coporate officers have boasted about
>gobbling up the competition. In the final analysis it was
>simply a matter of: "Go on, take the money and run." You
>might recall WorldComm, Tyco and Enron.

You're referring to Panther "A" unit cargo van rates,not straight trucks.

G

Dave I would have to say that your wrong on this one, It was reported that Con Way was in Bankrupcy court and that is one of the reason for them selling Con Way to Panther. I can't say this is a sure thing but the person that that told me is good with the facts. I will keep you posted on this.

Fred Smith The CEO with FedEx Corp Could buy Panther with his own money. Fedex Corp Doesn't want to just do LTL they want it all. FedEx Custom Critical is going no where and will sill be the leader in this business.

This is from FeDEx Corp

While our early days are legendary, today's FedEx has grown up into a $29-billion network of companies, offering just the right mix of transportation, e-commerce and business solutions. And we still back our services with the "absolutely, positively" spirit you expect from the trusted FedEx name.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts Express O/O Since 3/1/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,D5047

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mr. Mayfield,

I would have to say that YOU are wrong on this one. Where was it reported that Con-Way was in bankrupcy court? Con-Way is a Wall Street darling as far as transportation companies. Con-Way stock is trading at about $55.00 a share. Sale of the expedite component will probably have no effect on the price per share of Con-Way stock one way or the other. Con-Way Expedite(Now) was such a small company in the corporate scheme of things.

If FedEx sold off Custom Critical, who would know? Who would care, except those that were directly involved.

As for why Con-Way sold off Con-Way Expedite, I don't know. They rarely consult with me on these matters. At one time they sold off an asset based truckload division that had been up and running just a few years. Now they have another one. Go figure! They also got into retail distribution for a short time before pulling the plug on that. There even was talk once about getting into package delivery like UPS and what's their name. Sound familiar?

Con-Way's bread and butter is LTL. In the early 1980's Consolidated Freightways (remember them) started Con-Way, which was made up of 3 seperate regional LTL carriers. Two of these were started from scratch and one was an accquisition. Eventually these three companies were linked together. When the "host" company CF was no longer needed it was spun off on its own. It only lasted a few years. An interesting note, when CF closed it doors it did so on Labor Day. Nice touch, eh.

If Con-Way was serious about the expedite market it would have been them buying Panther. I'm sure some day when more profits can be had they will get back into the expedite game.

The only bankrucy I know of involving Con-Way is more of a moral nature. But hey this is corporate America. Money first. So it goes!

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It is going to be interesting to hear how this buy out will affect the other expedite companies like Express1, Tri-State, Bolt, Dynamex & so on.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I think that it will help them, there are alot of companies out there that don't want to be single sourced. So some of the loads that went to Conway will find there way to some of the others.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Moot's question raises an important point. He said, "If FedEx sold off Custom Critical, who would know? Who would care, except those that were directly involved."

The entire expediting industry is but a tiny sliver of the trucking industry. How many commercial vehicles are on the road? 3 million, maybe? One percent of 3 million is 30,000. No matter how wide a definition you use for expediting, you'd have hard time pointing to 30,000 units.

In FedEx's annual report, Custom Critical merits only a footnote. The revenues from Custom Critical are grouped with other small FedEx activities into a category called "other." Custom Critical does not even get it's own footnote. It gets grouped in with others. Custom Critical is that small in the grand scheme of things.

So is Panther, so was Conway, so are all the others.

Already, Panther is making noise about being the largest expediter out there. If I were writing their marketing materials, I'd be doing the exact same thing. In terms of power units, and with the Conway acquisition, and if Conway contractors stay with Panther, Panther can indeed make the case that they are the largest.

I'm sure the higher-ups there, and perhaps a number of drivers will take great satisfaction and pride in that. If I were in that company's founders' shoes, it would be an important milestone for me too. It's an all-American growth story that can be legitimately told.

Growth through aquisition is a time-honored corporate strategy. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it does not. FedEx has refined that strategy to an art form. So have numerous other transportation companies. Whether it will work out well for Panther and Panther's contractors, only time will tell.

As a FedEx Custom Critical contractor, I'm not worried about losing loads to Panther. If the loads are lost because Panther reduced the price, we would not want them anyway. Diane and I are positioned to compete not on price but on quality. We don't run freight for cheap shippers. Period. With that philosophy, Diane and I have done very well. Regardles of what company buys the other, or which company we run with, we expect our philosophy to keep us in the green for many years to come.

In Panther's announcement letter, I was pleased to see them touting their "Elite Services team."

http://www.pantherii.com/breakingnews.asp

Quote:

"In addition to traditional ground expedite service for industrial manufacturers, Panther offers single-source specialty solutions for
complex supply chain management through our Elite Services team, including:

• Flatbed transit service
• Validated Cold Chain Relocation, refrigerated, and temperature controlled transportation
• Exclusive Air Charter service
• Blanket Wrap, Lift Gate, Air Ride, and other special handling requirements for time critical shipments"

End Quote.

In other words, Panther is going after White Glove business. That's good news for Diane and me in a couple ways. If it ever comes to that, it gives us another place to go with our highly-specialized and fully-equipped truck and "elite" (Panther's words) skills. It also gives FedEx another reason and greater incentive to keep Diane and I happy as contractors.

Further, it validates a belief Diane and I formed early on in our expediting industry research. That is, the more specialized your truck and driver capabilities are, the more in demand you and your truck will be.

There is a philosophy out there that running a minimially-equipped, low cost truck that hauls "industrial" (Panther's word) freight is the way to go because there will always be loads for you. It's a time-honored philosophy practiced by thousands of drivers.

Panther's "elite" language tells me that when the next recession or industry over-expansion comes, it will be the "elite" trucks carriers hang on to and the general freight trucks they will let go or let die on the vine.

I like the additional incentive Panther is giving FedEx to treat us White Glove drivers right. I like how the industry's largest carrier is validating a business philosophy Diane and I formed before we even hauled our first load. But most of all, I like how industry information will now be easier to obtain.

Panther is in the process of going public. They already have a preliminary prospectus on public record. As a public company, they will be disclosing their numbers on an ongoing basis.

It will be much easier to learn just how much an expediting company is worth. Panther will disclose the Conway purchase price and terms. Because Panther is not a division of a larger company, Panther's numbers will not be buried in "other" in its quarterly and annual reports. Drivers will be able to see how much money Panther pays for their services (purchased transportation). Panther's analysis of the expediting market and risks will be published. So will Panther's analysis of competing companies in the expediting marketplace.

This is all good stuff and I am very much looking forward to reading it.

Does it bother me that Panther is now larger than FedEx Custom Critical? I must admit it did for a few moments. Then I remembered how it has always confused me when people get all worked up about their favorite sports teams.

Having grown up in Wisconsin, I am a lifetime-loyal Green Bay Packer fan (though only a casual viewer of NFL games). Espeically when your team is winning, it can be great fun. But it can become unhealthy when you cross the line from "my team is winning" to "because my team is winning and yours is not, I'm a better person than you."

While I take great pride in being a FedEx Custom Critical contractor, it does not diminish me in the slightest that my carrier of choice is now the second-largest in the industry. That's how it works when the Packers don't go to the super bowl. It's how it works when Diane and I are driving down the road.

While expediting is about ego for some, it's about business for those who succeed in it. I congratulate Panther on its milestone accomplishment andd very much looking forward to hearing all about out from the disclosure documents the company will issue.

Rikk

Expert Expediter
Dave, FedEX is now #2. I am one of the PBO's picked up by Panther, and look forward to the new relationship. The offerings and perks recieved from Panther are great.

It's kinda like football teams. I like one you like the other :)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Maybe I have been working for too many companies that have been taken over or merged – but my experience and pessimism comes out in threads like this.

FedEx, UPS, DHL and other BIG companies are just that BIG companies, Panther can be stepped on like a bug. Each of the companies I mentioned is already established brands and has big money behind them, especially DHL. The thing to remember is that fleet size is a small part of the equation; branding, a track record of customer service and integrity all have a lot more to do with a customer calling than fleet size.

As Phil mentioned Custom Critical is just a foot note but that can change when there is potential and who knows FedEx may decide tomorrow to start dumping money in to the division and reducing their rates for customers if they feel threaten.

The thing is as I mentioned in the other thread I am wondering if this is a true expansion or let's used our surplus cash to buy out the competition (or a more fitting way of putting it is the Pfizer philosophy of how to do business). I also agree with Phil on the recession issues. It is far better not to over expand in times like this than to have a steady course and simple but achievable goals. Growth is important but at what expense?

IPO? Well I would have to say just becuase a company goes public does not mean it gets better. Sometimes the service drops off because the focus is not on the customer and the service but rather how to keep the stock prices up and more expansion.

Good idea? Maybe, but I really see things as a problem for the customers who don’t like Panther II or Con-Way (yes there are some major customers who may not like this) and will just go to another company, like an established brand – hopefully FedEx.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Greg said, "FedEx, UPS, DHL and other BIG companies are just that BIG companies, Panther can be stepped on like a bug. Each of the companies I mentioned is already established brands and has big money behind them, especially DHL."

Investment companies, like the investment company that now owns Panther, know that. My reading of the tea leaves is that Fenway, an investment company, is putting together a nice tidy package to sell to DHL or UPS or another big. It is worthy of note that DHL, a European company, is now trying to do to FedEx in the U.S. what FedEx did to DHL in Europe. DHL is currently expanding at a number of levels in the U.S. and building new terminals. A company like that might be very interested in purchasing a gift-wrapped expediting package that was put together and offered by Fenway.

This is pure speculation on my part. As I said, it's a reading of the tea leaves.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yea Phil you hit it on the head, Investment companies are just that. but the thing is when you look at successful mergers and aquistions, many are not done to turn a buck but rather leverage market share.

I think that as one person said to me at GM last year says it all; for us it is about the service and integrity, nothing else. They know that with FedEx or UPS or DHL, there is an expected level of service and they know that a major change with any of the larger carriers will in effect change how millions around the world are going to do business and in turn know that these companies will not merge, go away or anything else because of the establish customer base.

Even though Panther is a big player in expedited freight it is a rather small player in the big picture.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Gregg is correct. Market share is the motive. As far as Conway Now Expedite considering or even talked about bankruptcy is inaccurate.
It was sold to raise money for Conways brokerage. That is their core business not expedite. The only time Conway was involved with any kind of bancruptcy, was with the buyout of CF. Business information available at many sites show Conway was doing well.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
Ditto Dave ..conway was profitable(cf) Conway now was marginal.. absolutly loved working for them.. I believe Panther is setting itself up to be sold to the big guns. Much like bunddling your telecomunication services. They will cash out also.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I can see it now....

(cut to dream sequence)

two large companies in the expediting business, FedEx and UPS. A lot of smaller companies fighting for the crumbs.

What happened to PantherII? had a great IPO kick off, got in trouble over extending itself, stock tanked and they split up and part went to FedEx and the other part went to UPS as a hostile take over.

(cut back to reality)

Who knows, I just hope everyone does well.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Anything is possible, but I don't see it for quite awhile. The return on investment will increase with added market share, but that takes time and numbers to show.
If you look at Fenway investments, you will notice that they don't do quick turn arounds on businesses they have purchased.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
con-way needed to aquire expidite, to sell easier, it produced a lot of fluff bout name change and welcome and bla bla bla, this was in the works for a while,,, I would bet Dave that the slow turn around would already be in the works Hence becomeing public... easy sell..and now Panther is in the grooming stage to sell. this has been in the works for a while. And if it happens things will snow ball.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dave,
Brokerage is not Con-Way's core business. LTL freight is. Con-Way did not buy out C.F. Consolidated Freight gave birth to Con-Way in 1983. When the 3 Con-Way regional LTLs out performed C.F. C.F. was spun off on its own. When it closed C.F. had no connection to Con-Way (CNF) other than a shared history.

Sorry for the corection Dave, but there's so much confusion surrounding Con-Way. That could be one reason for the re-branding. I have been an employee or contracted with Con-Way for over 20 years. I know a bit of their history. So how about it Michelle, Lori, Mike, Don. Its time for one of you to explain Con-Way culture and history here on EO because I'm history.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You are correct. I should have rephrased that. LTL is their core business with them wanting to expand the brokerage. That is my understanding anyway.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator