Company rules for driving hours...

rodeojunkie

Seasoned Expediter
OK, let me first start by saying i don not condone it, but the simple fact is a lot of drivers drive for more than the allowed hours per day and that leads me to my question. I have driven over the road (straight truck) and i was lucky enough to drive for a company that let me run as hard as i wanted. They had very few straight truck teams so about 80% of the runs i did were actually team runs. I have driven for a living for over 20 years so we can skip the whole "i know its illegal to take a 1200 mile run and do it straight through debate."
What i am wondering is this. I am considering going into a sprinter or cargo van and i would like to know which companies will actually let you run hard in a van. I have heard of some companies that will automatically give the run to a team if it is over 500 miles or so. I would like to get an idea before i get qualified by these companies. I don't want to travel all the way to orientation just to find out i will never get another long run. So chime in and let me know what your companies policy on longer runs is so hopefully i can save myself some time and go with a company better suited to my style of running. Thanks in advance for your input.:)

rodeojunkie

Seasoned Expediter
I have been doing that too Zoli but i was wondering if its going to be a problem with the major carriers. If they are going to limit my miles in a van i might as well keep driving a straight truck and benefit from the higher freight rate.

transporter

Expert Expediter
various drivers will probly respond with the information you are looking for. however, the larger carriers out there currently not instituting a milage/time cap on solo drivers soon will. Reason lawsuits and or dot hassles. to switch out aload after 450 miles and give it to another driver doesnt hurt the companybut does show they CARE about safety. but when nessaray wont switch when no driver available.. you will need to look for small carriers to do what you want to.
fedx and panther already have started this

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
to switch out aload after 450 miles and give it to another driver doesnt hurt the companybut does show they CARE about safety. but when nessaray wont switch when no driver available..

This shows that they really don't care about safety. If it was truly about safety they'd not take a load when they didn't have the second van available to split. I know vanners with large carriers that give much lip service to safety, but will have a van run upwards of 2k miles if that's what needed to service the customer. Of course the customer needs to be serviced, that's what we're here for. But if someone sets a policy because safety is job one, what does it say when that policy is ignored?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This shows that they really don't care about safety. If it was truly about safety they'd not take a load when they didn't have the second van available to split. I know vanners with large carriers that give much lip service to safety, but will have a van run upwards of 2k miles if that's what needed to service the customer. Of course the customer needs to be serviced, that's what we're here for. But if someone sets a policy because safety is job one, what does it say when that policy is ignored?

I have a term for that.."The Flex Rule" to be used at a carriers convenience....if and when it suits the situation...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why not E mail the different Carriers & ask them what their policies are?.
Because they have policies Yes...do they stick to it...NO it is in constant state of change depending on each situation...
The over riding factor is that dispatch falls back on is it is NOT required by law..it is ONLY a policy....so they "flex" it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK, let me first start by saying i don not condone it..... and i was lucky enough to drive for a company that let me run as hard as i wanted. They had very few straight truck teams so about 80% of the runs i did were actually team runs.

No, you don't condone it at all. Sadly there are companies out there allowing drivers to violate the rules and endanger everyones lives. One can only hope to never be on the same stretch of highway at the same time.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
OVM wrote:

Super vanner man...*L*

LOL yea that and 2 bucks wii get be a 2 liter of "Mountain Dew"...:D

Now if i drink the "Dew", plus a 5 hour energy and a Red Bull, I can get 16 hours straight thru....just don't tell Leo....LOL

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM wrote:

LOL yea that and 2 bucks wii get be a 2 liter of "Mountain Dew"...:D

Now if i drink the "Dew", plus a 5 hour energy and a Red Bull, I can get 16 hours straight thru....just don't tell Leo....LOL

I hear ya....*LOL*

Leo would..............never mind...hahaha;)

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I once heard of a fella who set for 4 days, then got himself a 600 miler, and then.....and then!, he had to call dispatch after 300 miles for a swap...just couldn't do the other miles.....

Good for him....we don't need sleepy drivers out there...but, bahahahahahbawahahahahaha

transporter

Expert Expediter
get use to swapping it is the future. yes companies will continue to bend their policy when they feel they need to.
this policy will be implimented for 2 reasons
to show they have a working safety program [jury trial]
and second to give government no reason to make it law

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
get use to swapping it is the future. yes companies will continue to bend their policy when they feel they need to.
this policy will be implimented for 2 reasons
to show they have a working safety program [jury trial]
and second to give government no reason to make it law

Good points. However, the Gov just don't need a reason...they'll just do it....

Limits to 750 miles is ok with me. Anything less, well is less....Why be out here in this mess for 400 miles. Generation Y may think it's the best thing since slice bread, but then again, they have always had sliced bread.

rodeojunkie

Seasoned Expediter
No, you don't condone it at all. Sadly there are companies out there allowing drivers to violate the rules and endanger everyones lives. One can only hope to never be on the same stretch of highway at the same time.

My view point is this...it's just like everything else in life. You HAVE to know your limitations. Personally, i cannot sleep in a moving vehicle...EVER. I have had hundreds of job offers over the years to drive as a team driver but it would never work. I have driven, both in commercial vehicles and personal vehicles, from Detroit to Miami, Laredo, Denver, Nogales, and a ton of other places. Maybe it's just me, but i have never even come close to falling asleep behind the wheel. Do i consider myself dangerous behind the wheel? 20+ years and probably close to 4 million miles without an accident that was even remotely my fault would say no. On the flip side , i know someone who drives a cargo van who will drive 150 miles and have to pull over for a nap. All i am saying is that if i can do it and make more money...why not do it? I just need to find the company that will let me do it. Everyone is good at something and this is what i am best at.