Company called Velocity

sylvester

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the response.
I made a call and here is what I get from the company.
I'll make this a short form instead of a story.
They were a city del. type operation using mainly vans.
They have now grown to 140 Terminals making over 150,000 Del. a day.
It seems they have now found there is a service needed for in State expediting.
They have added and are looking for more 16' to 24' box trucks with no sleeper required. They do pay less than an over the road expeditor but point out your over head is less. IE, home every night, cost of truck is less, life of truck will be longer, less permits, no down time, etc.
This pretty much sounds like FedX local where you buy the cube van and are contracted to them for a city Del. route. Only difference is, you would haul City and across the State you live in, with freight being anything from an envelope to a full truck load.
This could be something for you drivers who don't like to be away from your family for weeks at a time, yet you still own your own business.
They also offer a lease purchase program for new trucks.
Sounds like a very aggressive and professionaly run company that has an eye on the future freight market.
I have set up an interview with these people. I'll let you know the good and the bad.

chaz

Expert Expediter
Yes,Please let us know. Like I said, I know that they advertise in the Pittsburgh,PA Paper frequently.Let us know the pay etc.

X X

Expert Expediter
They pay next to nothing (I used to work for them few months ago). Most if not all their work is set up as routes. An example would be: for a cargo van/around 150 miles ATL-BIrmingham AL/5 nights a week, 9pm-4am, about 8hrs a trip because it includes heavy and time consuming loading-unloading you have to do yourself, and about 4-5 stops per trip, pays $125 a run. You pay gas and some weekly deductions about $35, and insurance 5% of your weekly settlement. Hope it gives everyone an ideea. I heard it's about the same deal at Dynamex.

sylvester

Expert Expediter
Not starting out on a good note.
I called the number from there Sunday ad this morning at 9am. A person took my name and number, said they would call back. I waited 5 hr's for the return call which never came. Came back home at 3pm to find a message from them that was left at 2:45pm, that would be almost 6hr's from first contact. Thay left a another number and a person to ask for (by the way, none of these number's are toll free)when the person answered on the other end at 4:30pm she asked for my name and said she would also call me back. That was enough for me. I told her I was tired of playing phone tag and what would be a good day for me to call her back. That will be tomorrow. Let you know where this all ends up. Not a good first impression is it?

woodsman

Expert Expediter
I am familiar with Velocity. I contract with a competitor here in Portland, OR area. They are a local courier outfit. They are nation-wide but operate local routes. I believe they are the largest courier company that does same-day services but could be wrong about that. At least here they pay less than who I contract for. They have joined with at least SNI to do some regional work but they are NOT a true expediting company
http://www.velocityexpress.com/static/newsItem.jsp?news_id=2003

sylvester

Expert Expediter
I'm giving up on this one. 3rd call back in 3 days, at there request, now it's a recording asking me to leave my call back number.
Not a good sign of there ability to communicate well.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
I'm getting about the same run-around as Sylvester. I called them two weeks ago and had not heard from them. Called last week and they said they would 'get back' to me. Um, yea.

I'm glad I didn't hold my breath.

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Several years ago I had looked at leasing a couple of trucks to them but they were just local and very low paying. They didn't fit into what I was doing at that time. This was in the Houston TX market.
Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>My message machine says they called back again. OK, I'll
>give them one more try.

Give them a cell phone number and except in the shower never let it be more than 12 inches from your person so there's no way to miss the call.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
they are what i call something to do company you want something to do and money is not great but would give you something to do
they are here in norfolk area and pay 50.00 dollar's a day
so you wouldn't being doing it for the money
so if your retired retired retired about 3 or 4 times be ok