Common Core Education... there is no wrong answer!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
What is wrong with 2 plus 2 equals 5? White House is still using that math. That is why we are trillions in debt.
I like Fox news. They are fair and balanced. :cool:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
FOX as a source is bad?

LOL.. I don't think so, I watch them all, to get the different spins, but some folk discount the info as soon as they see FOX, MSNBC, CNN etc... depending on which wing of the bird they are on :)

Dale

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They discount MSNBC and CNN if they are on the right side and discount Fox if they are on the wrong side.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
LOL.. I don't think so, I watch them all, to get the different spins, but some folk discount the info as soon as they see FOX, MSNBC, CNN etc... depending on which wing of the bird they are on :)

Dale

They're all the same thing: biased commentary. People take sides in the battle of networks but it's silly really. The only unfiltered, unbiased network is C-Span.

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, I know it's a FOX news link, sorry LOL.. but that's where someone posted it from :)

Apparently in the new math the White House is implementing, there is no wrong answer, as long as you understand the process, and explain how you got your answer....

Huh???

Obama?s New Math Curriculum Gives Kids Points for Wrong Answers?! | Fox News Insider

Why don't you do a little digging into this story and come back to the Soapbox and apologize to everyone for being misled by the folks sitting on the "Curvy Couch".

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They better not use mean and wicked red pens for grading either.

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
Why don't you do a little digging into this story and come back to the Soapbox and apologize to everyone for being misled by the folks sitting on the "Curvy Couch".

He may have been misled but if he explains his thought process as to how he became misled he still gets points and does not need to apologize. ;)

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

Well, I see you're back and jump right in LOL.. actually wasn't mislead by anyone on a curvy couch, I get my news from the REAL source.. FACEBOOK!

1508596.GIF

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Well, I see you're back and jump right in LOL.. actually wasn't mislead by anyone on a curvy couch, I get my news from the REAL source.. FACEBOOK!

1508596.GIF

Your facebook friend has been misled as well.

You gave the following opinion:

Apparently in the new math the White House is implementing, there is no wrong answer, as long as you understand the process, and explain how you got your answer....

Huh???

So, did you look into the story a bit more? Or are you just going to go with the story you got from your uneducated facebook friend, who get's his/her information from the folks sitting on the "Curvy Couch"?

And Humble you are correct; if you believe the story as it was reported by the uneducated facebook friend of Dreamer's and the folks sitting on the "Curvy Couch". Dreamer would get credit and wouldn't have to apologize. Unfortunately for Dreamer, that's not the case.

Dreamer, be the stand up guy we all know you are and report back and give an opinion that uses all of the context. Then apologize for being misled.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Did you even look a the article? The lady, supposedly an educator.. says...

, “Even if they said 3x4 was 11, if they were able to explain their reasoning and explain how they came up with their answer, really in words or in oral explanations […] but they just got the final number wrong, we’re really more focusing on the 'how' …”

Of course, not.. you're too busy trying to start an arguement as soon as you come back.. funny LOL.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Your facebook friend has been misled as well.

You gave the following opinion:

So, did you look into the story a bit more? Or are you just going to go with the story you got from your uneducated facebook friend, who get's his/her information from the folks sitting on the "Curvy Couch"?

And Humble you are correct; if you believe the story as it was reported by the uneducated facebook friend of Dreamer's and the folks sitting on the "Curvy Couch", Dreamer would get credit and wouldn't have to apologize. Unfortunately for Dreamer, that's not the case.

Dreamer, be the stand up guy we all know you are and report back and give an opinion that uses all of the context. Then apologize for being misled.

Oh look - A newbie :p

paullud

Veteran Expediter
What is wrong with 2 plus 2 equals 5? White House is still using that math. That is why we are trillions in debt.
I like Fox news. They are fair and balanced. :cool:

For government math that 5 is 4 for them and their friends, 1 for those that don't work, and 3 borrowed from China to do what the money was intended for in the beginning.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Did you even look a the article?.

Indeed I did and then some. Did you look further into what the person was saying in the video?

If you did a little critical thinking of your own and didn't form an opinion from your uneducated facebook friend, you would see that the Common Core helps students of doing what you have just displayed in this thread.

The lady, supposedly an educator.. says...

, “Even if they said 3x4 was 11, if they were able to explain their reasoning and explain how they came up with their answer, really in words or in oral explanations […] but they just got the final number wrong, we’re really more focusing on the 'how' …”

At the end of the quote, I wonder why they included the "..." ?

Of course, not.. you're too busy trying to start an arguement as soon as you come back.. funny LOL.

Well when you post a misleading article that doesn't include all the context and is obviously written in a way to stoke fear and anger for political reasons, you really shouldn't be surprised if someone questions it.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Did you even look a the article? The lady, supposedly an educator.. says...

Precisely. Common Core recognizes that teaching students what to think [ie: the 'correct' answer] has not worked out so well, because in time, they tend to forget the answers.
Better to teach them how to think, and credit them for clearly doing so, even if the answer is 'wrong'. The key concept is "demonstrating how they arrived at their conclusion", which is what the teaching aims to teach. We all know how often today's right answer is proven wrong tomorrow, so isn't it better students learn how to think, instead of what?
Why do conservatives have such a problem with that?

Trying to "start an argument"? Or trying to correct a misperception?
I remember following a link posted for another subject to a conservative site, where I read about the controversy of Common Core, and I was amazed at the idea that teaching kids how to think was a problem for so many people.