Coming back....

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been out of the driving side of the expediting business for the last 4 years, and I'm getting ready to get back in the drivers seat. I have a few questions I need to get answered before making the move.

1) What is the oldest model year allowed by the carriers?
2) Is going to Canada mandatory, if the carrier goes to Canada?
3) Here's the hard question, what's the average amount paid per mile for a cargo van and a sprinter van?

Thanks for your time!!!

Camper

Not a Member
I've been out of the driving side of the expediting business for the last 4 years, and I'm getting ready to get back in the drivers seat. I have a few questions I need to get answered before making the move.

1) What is the oldest model year allowed by the carriers?
2) Is going to Canada mandatory, if the carrier goes to Canada?
3) Here's the hard question, what's the average amount paid per mile for a cargo van and a sprinter van?

Thanks for your time!!!

1) What is the oldest model year allowed by the carriers? This will vary by carrier. Fedex, I believe requires 2005 and newer. Others are more liberal with their policies.

2) Is going to Canada mandatory, if the carrier goes to Canada? It depends..Some carriers will require the ability/will to do cross border runs, some won't. Either way, it's better if you obtain a passcard or passport, as having that flexibility will open up more opportunities.

3) Here's the hard question, what's the average amount paid per mile for a cargo van and a sprinter van? A search of the previous threads will show there's a wide range regarding CPM for cargo vans. A ballpark rate would be .90 plus FSC.

Last edited:

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the reply Camper. I have a 2001 Chevy 3500 extended cargo van, that's completely paid for, and if possible, I'd like to find a carrier that wil allow me to sign-on with a vehicle of that age. If I can get another year out of it, I should be able to save up enough money to look at buying something new (and bigger).

Camper

Not a Member
Thanks for the reply Camper. I have a 2001 Chevy 3500 extended cargo van, that's completely paid for, and if possible, I'd like to find a carrier that wil allow me to sign-on with a vehicle of that age. If I can get another year out of it, I should be able to save up enough money to look at buying something new (and bigger).

You're welcome..Now with respect to the age of your van: 10 years, going on 11 years puts it out of range for some of the bigger carriers, specifically Fedex, like I've said before. However, if it's in excellent condition, you might have a shot with Panther or Bolt. Failing that, the smaller carriers tend to be more flexible.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You're welcome..Now with respect to the age of your van: 10 years, going on 11 years puts it out of range for some of the bigger carriers, specifically Fedex, like I've said before. However, if it's in excellent condition, you might have a shot with Panther or Bolt. Failing that, the smaller carriers tend to be more flexible.

and them smaller carriers tend to pay a CV about .90 INCluding FSC

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Which can be a decent deal, particularly if on the other side of the ledger, there's flexibility with respect to the age of the vehicles they lease on.
Agreed..as the van is likely paid for, hence no monthly payments....

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like I said, l'd like to sign on someplace where I could use this van, but if it going to keep me from getting in with one of the big carriers, I'll look for something a little newer. I ran with Panther in the past and was getting .77/mile + DSC, so if the rate is a little higher + DSC, sounds like I may be able to make some money.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like I said, l'd like to sign on someplace where I could use this van, but if it going to keep me from getting in with one of the big carriers, I'll look for something a little newer. I ran with Panther in the past and was getting .77/mile + DSC, so if the rate is a little higher + DSC, sounds like I may be able to make some money.

Rates are not higher. panther will be .70 plus fsc. Personally I would not drive for Panther, the fed or E1 as a solo van driver as they all limit your miles per load. It works for some but not for me.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
For about six months, a year and a half ago, Panther's new van contracts were .70 cents, but it's been a year and a half since they had those. Thy are either .74 or .75, I forget which. And the structured FSC is currently at .24 cents.

And they don't limit your miles per load, they limit your hours between breaks. There's a difference. In the last few weeks I've had loads of 1350, 1315, 1488, 1267, and 1080, for example, and didn't hear a peep out of them the entire way other than Safety letting me know what time my 16 hour clock ran out for my next 5 hour break.

Its not as good as it should be, but it's not as bad as you think. All you have to is understand the rules, play the game by those rules, and use them to your advantage, and it's all good.

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like your attitude Turtle! Knowing how to play the game IS what it's all about. When I ran with Panther before, I was getting .77/mile, but the FSC varied from .06/mile to as high as .30/mile.

Like I've always said, "...expediting ain't rocket science!"

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm searching for a vehicle. I will most likely go with a Sprinter, but I'm interested in looking at the HCV.

As far as a carrier, I'm going to look into Landstar, but I'm going to also look at getting info from Load 1 and a couple of others. The things I've read about Load 1 are very interesting.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I think panther now requires 05 or newer. my 04 is almost at the point where no one will touch it. Some smaller companies might be a bit more lax!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Rates are not higher. panther will be .70 plus fsc. Personally I would not drive for Panther, the fed or E1 as a solo van driver as they all limit your miles per load. It works for some but not for me.

Yeah, there would definitely be roblem there. Panther thinks a 50 mile run is a mini and Xiggi thinks a 600 mile run is a mini! lol

Camper

Not a Member
I think panther now requires 05 or newer. my 04 is almost at the point where no one will touch it. Some smaller companies might be a bit more lax!

These maximum unit age standards aren't etched in stone. Some carriers will waive it for units that are in better than average condition.

As the previous poster said though, smaller carriers tend to be more flexible.

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I may look into some of the smaller carriers, just to see if they will allow my van on. It would really be nice to be able to run in it for a year so I can save up the money to get something a little larger (I have the CargoMax in mind).

This is where it's going to get difficult... Find a carrier that will let me run in my 2001 Chevy 3500, and, keep me busy enough to make it worth my time. If I can clear $800.00 to $1000.00 a week, I'd be happy.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
That's not happening for me at E1. Maybe ALL STATE would be a good choice or Diamond delivery. Not sure if they're still in business tho (Diamond).

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
"If I could clear $800.00 to a $1000.00 a week I'd be happy"

So would 90% or more of Van drivers. I think your setting your sights a little high for $800.00 CLEAR as a minimum.

P.S. Diamond Delivery Service has a fullpage add in the latest Expedite Now.

Last edited:

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My other option is to run for myself. Pay the money and get my own authority, insurance, etc... Work some local businesses that I know have used expedite companies in the past. Maybe just keep it "regional".

I have some contacts at several area suppliers for a few auto manufacturers. Might be able to pickup some business there.

Might be worth a try. Anyone have any ideas? Pros / Cons?