CNN and MSNBC stirring racial unrest in Ferguson, MO.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Assuming there are more than 30 million black residents in the United States, 96 deaths by police shooting is a tiny number. Probably more fatalities result from turning a vending machine over on oneself. Anyone truly concerned about the plight of black males would focus on the very real threat they pose to each other. Whether in the US or the entire continent of Africa, the greatest mortal threat to a black male is another black male. Black deaths at the hand of a white shooter is a tiny, tiny, tiny number. People who are dishonest about such social ills need to get off their liberal hobbyhorse and address black-on-black slaughter.

CNN and MSNBC would have everyone believe there is a war on black males in the US. If true, its within the black community.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Assuming there are more than 30 million black residents in the United States, 96 deaths by police shooting is a tiny number.
... With respect to "justifiable homicides" yes. The number unjustified homicides is much higher

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
With over 12 million arrests by police...
Yes, the police will arrest blacks in a heartbeat in the same situations where they'll give a white man the benefit of the doubt and let him slide. And blacks will get convicted more often, and receive longer sentences.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If the 400 and the 96 are accurate that means the 400 deaths are 0.00000133333333333 percent of the population and of those 400 there are 24% that are black. I suspect we won't be hearing much from the media about 76% of those killed by police being other than black.

LBD, you and I know statistics can be twisted, cooked and distorted to fit just about any point of view. I have no idea if these numbers are all inclusive nor do I know the FBI's methodology in compiling these stats. USA Today is credited with publishing these stats.

Actually, that 400 figure is the number of killings that have been classified, by the police, as "justifiable homicides" rather than the number killed. If Brown's homicide is found to be unjustifiable, it won’t show up in these statistics. There’s no governmental effort at all to record the number of unjustifiable homicides by police. The actual number killed by police is significantly higher than the 400.
Using the figures from the above article which are extremely convoluted, the numbers are still quite low considering the number of on duty incidents in which the police are involved each year.
Applying these percentages to the total count at Killed By Police would imply that officers acting in the line of duty have killed in the neighborhood of 1,250 to 1,350 people since May 1, 2013. That’s about 1,000 deaths per year.
This estimate isn’t directly comparable to the FBI’s “400 police homicides” count, because that figure is only available through 2012, and the previously mentioned caveats about media-report-driven counts apply.
Nevertheless, it’s a good indication that “400 police homicides” isn’t a useful baseline number for the number of people killed by police each year.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/another-much-higher-count-of-police-homicides/

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Using the figures from the above article which are extremely convoluted, the numbers are still quite low considering the number of on duty incidents in which the police are involved each year.
Really? I think the numbers of unjustified killings should be able to be counted on one hand, with fingers left over.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Really? I think the numbers of unjustified killings should be able to be counted on one hand, with fingers left over.

There will NEVER be a time in human history when governments, world over, at all levels, will be free of unjustified killings. Ain't gonna happen. There will also never be a time, as long as humans exist, that we will be free of ANY kind of unjust killings. The BEST we can hope to do is limit them as much as possible.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I guess if stats are an issue with anybody.......it has been stated that.......24% of all traffic fatalitys involve alchohol. However, there are absolutely no stats for the 76% that are caused by folks using ice tea, orange juice, peanut butter sammich, milk, chocolate milk etc. Stats eh?