Class 7 vs Class 8

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
In another thread Greg said something about getting a class 8 w/ a liftgate. I see all the time things that refer to "class 8" but don't get exactly what the difference between a class 7 & class 8 is.

Is it something that has to do w/ the age of the vehicle? Or maybe certain features on a class 8? And is there a way you can look at a truck & know it's a class 8?

Also, are there any specific examples of Class 8 that ya could list? thanx

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Class 7 - 26,001-33,000 lbs GVW

Class 7 are vocational trucks, Freightliner M2 and the FL50/60/70/80s.

Class 8 - 34,000 and above GVW

Class 8 are the tractors. Like Freightliner century, cascadia and Columbia. KW it is the 800, and 600/660 trucks.

Age has nothing to do with the classes of the trucks.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
In another thread Greg said something about getting a class 8 w/ a liftgate. I see all the time things that refer to "class 8" but don't get exactly what the difference between a class 7 & class 8 is.

Is it something that has to do w/ the age of the vehicle? Or maybe certain features on a class 8? And is there a way you can look at a truck & know it's a class 8?

Also, are there any specific examples of Class 8 that ya could list? thanx

Class 8 trucks are meant for long haul 48 states. They have larger engines and are make to last longer

Class 7 trucks are made for regional haul and local delivery. They have smaller engines and are not made for long haul use.

Most expedite trucks use to be almost all class 7. Now more and more o/o and fleets are buying class 8 trucks, especially those with teams.

I have been saying for years that class 7 trucks won't stand up to the long haul team use expediters require now.

I would never buy a class 7 truck for expediting, especially if it is going to be used by a team. I have owned both class 7 and 8 trucks and the class 8 trucks out perform the class 7 hands down.

Most expedite truck dealers push their class 7 trucks, mailnly because they can make more profit selling them.

Also class 7 truck engines are 500,000 mile engines class 8 truck engines are 1,000,000 mile engines.

Deville

Not a Member
Class 7 - 26,001-33,000 lbs GVW

Class 7 are vocational trucks, Freightliner M2 and the FL50/60/70/80s.

Class 8 - 34,000 and above GVW

Class 8 are the tractors. Like Freightliner century, cascadia and Columbia. KW it is the 800, and 600/660 trucks.

Age has nothing to do with the classes of the trucks.

I must have a class 7.5 Hybrid, cause my FL80 is GWR for 35,000 pounds & it has a 3126.

I always assumed a FL80 had a thicker frame & a heavier duty suspension.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yep class 6 but it is also considered a vocational truck - meaning that it is not intended for long haul or line haul work.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
That's right , Hinos are definitely vocational trucks . But I know several people using class 4 Chevys in hotshot work . While they were not intended for that they have gone over 200,000 miles almost trouble free and will go many more . Its too bad GM discontinued the medium duty production . Their trucks were the best in the class and were rated tops in customer service the last 3 years . It took too long for the Duramax to be recognized as being efficient and reliable .

guido4475

Not a Member
I had ordered a new freightliner century in 2000 that was considered a tractor in every aspect except that it had a gvw of 33,000# with a single axle in the rear.18 gauges on the dash,3-stage jake,c-12 cat, 10-speed autoshift,etc.This was and is considered a class 8 expeditor.There was a huge difference between this and my old fl-70 with a 3126 that lasted 980,000 miles with no internal problems.I guess listening to Caterpillar corporate suggesting to have the valves adjusted every 40,000 by the same mechanic had something to do with this.The same with the allison automatic in it.Never had a problem with it, just had it serviced each spring with transynd synthetic and all filters.This truc is still on the road and still leased to the same carrier that I was at with it.

I also consider a Kenworth t-300 or whatever it is now to be a heavier duty class 7.Mainly because It utilizes alot of the same parts found on a t-600 or even a w-900.The frame rails have even been proven to be thicker.But this is the only class 7 truck I would consider buying.

To prove a point that a class 7 is capable of lasting as long as a class 8, I have a freind who has a Ford L-8000 with a Cummins 5.9 230 hp with an allison transmission in it.The truck has over 1.5 million miles on it, and it had the original engine replaced around 900,000 miles. no problems with his, either.He still has it, and it is in such great shape presently that it will put alot of todays trucks to shame. It even made the cover of Expedite Now and is in the picture part of this website, if I am correct.He was extremely anal about preventative maintenence and it shows.