Chrysler workers getting high while on break in the UAW parking lot

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
Oh I remember the 70's...union wages at Firestone 15 bucks an hour back then was huge! I wanted for nothing...single, house, car... the whole 9 yards....full dental, oh boy the money flowed....:D

Really, 15 dollars an hour? I hired in Gm in 1976, started at 7.00 an hour and that was full pay., nobody makes things up in here do they?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Really, 15 dollars an hour? I hired in Gm in 1976, started at 7.00 an hour and that was full pay., nobody makes things up in here do they?

When I left Toyota in 92 I think I was at $29 hr not including benefits. That was as a team leader (lead hand).

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ahhh in the summer of 1972 i worked at what was then the "Chevrolet" plant on Alexis rd in Toledo as a asst in the tool crib for $11.00...summer job....:rolleyes:

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
Ahhh in the summer of 1972 i worked at what was then the "Chevrolet" plant on Alexis rd in Toledo as a asst in the tool crib for $11.00...summer job....:rolleyes:

counts as absence and the worker is subject to disciplinary action.

Wage rates were not at issue at Lordstown during the GMAD dispute. The hourly rates being paid between November 1972 and September 1973 were:

Job Title - $ - £ 8 - Vauxhall(UK) Equivalent
Janitors 4.22 1.74 80p
Most production workers 4.62 1.90 90½p
Production repairmen & inspectors 4.72 1.95 93p
Dingmen 4.99 2.06 93p
Millwrights, pipefitters, carpenters 5.65 2.33 97/102½p
Electricians, fully skilled welders 5.81 2.40 97/102p

GM pay rates in lordstown oh in 1972 and 1973, even skilles trades werent making 11 an hour

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
my bad, i went back and looked , it was $9...Non union casual position....20 hrs a week...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
more wages and you made 11.00 an hour, wow these poor GM workers were just making a little over 4 an hour, give me a break guys

Victory of the Auto Workers
From November 28, 1970
The editors | Archived Article
Editors’ note: In this week’s America, columnist Terry Golway analyzes the latest agreement between GM and its workers. Back in 1970, the editors assessed the future of the American auto industry in the wake of a historic strike by the UAW:

For General Motors workers, the settlement reached after two months on the picket line was, indeed, a glorious victory. On the three major issues in contention--wages, cost-of-living formula and pensions--President Leonard Wood**** and his UAW negotiating team substantially achieved their aims. In their first major test since the death of Walter Reuther, they won the best contract ever negotiated with the nation’s top auto maker.

In the initial year of the contract, wages of the average $4-an-hour worker will rise 51 cents, or about $20 a week. The second and third years of the contract will bring minimum annual increases of 14 cents an hour. At straight-time pay for 40 hours, that means a weekly wage of $191.60 in 1972. And the word "minimum" must be emphasized, since the union was largely successful in regaining the full cost-of-living adjustment that it traded off three years ago for other benefits. Finally, GM agreed to sweeten the pension pot, so that workers with 30 years of service can retire at 58 (56 by the end of the contract) with a guaranteed $500 a month.

Victories like that aren’t cheap. GM’s wage bill alone, not counting fringe benefits, will cost an additional $2.4 billion over the three-year period. Since no foreseeable increase in productivity can offset these higher labor costs, autoists will have to pay more for GM cars. Some of the workers even may have to pay in the form of longer layoffs, since the settlement gives a competitive edge to foreign imports, which have already captured a seventh of the domestic market. About all one can say is that the contract is at least more realistic than

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
counts as absence and the worker is subject to disciplinary action.

Wage rates were not at issue at Lordstown during the GMAD dispute. The hourly rates being paid between November 1972 and September 1973 were:

Job Title - $ - £ 8 - Vauxhall(UK) Equivalent
Janitors 4.22 1.74 80p
Most production workers 4.62 1.90 90½p
Production repairmen & inspectors 4.72 1.95 93p
Dingmen 4.99 2.06 93p
Millwrights, pipefitters, carpenters 5.65 2.33 97/102½p
Electricians, fully skilled welders 5.81 2.40 97/102p

GM pay rates in lordstown oh in 1972 and 1973, even skilles trades werent making 11 an hour

Gee sucked to be you in he 70's...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
You can see the correction on the 11 it was 9 and you can bull all you want...as OVM said, sucks to be you in the 70's i guess the "national agreement" was not as good as they were paying casual part time "friends of management" thru the temp agnecies....:D

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
[QUOTE

OH and I forgot, both of them are still practicing the same things that got them in trouble, GM has even gone so far as to purchase a company that allows them to sell cars to people who can't afford it.[/QUOTE]

What company might that be???

Oilerman1957

Expert Expediter
pay rate for firestone workers in 1976......5.50 an hour

PrintEmailReprintsshareLinkedInStumbleUponRedditDiggDel.i.ciousPlastered to the gold-wallpapered column in the lobby of the Sheraton-Cleveland Hotel, a newly printed bumper sticker proclaimed: DON'T BUY FIRESTONE PRODUCTS. Nearby, in an elegant ballroom, negotiators for Firestone Tire & Rubber Co. and the United Rubber Workers had failed to wrap up a new contract—and so, across the nation, 60,000 union members walked off their jobs at plants of the industry's Big Four (Firestone, Uniroyal, Goodrich and Goodyear).

The strike illustrates a growing danger for the economy: what had been expected to be a relatively peaceful labor-bargaining climate this year is turning testy. The walkout will not immediately hurt national production, but a long strike could damage the recovery, and a high settlement could pump up now-subsiding inflation. Unhappily, the nation is almost sure to get one or the other outcome, if not both. As one Detroit Uniroyal worker put it, "We settled short last time, and now business is booming and we gotta get ours."

"Last time" was the spring of 1973, when Phase III wage and price controls were in effect and the U.R.W. signed a contract providing a 6.2% maximum annual pay and benefits increase and containing no cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) provision. Since then, prices have risen so fast that the rubber workers, who now make an average of $5.50 an hour, have found that their purchasing power has slumped 8% despite the raises. Most galling, auto workers, whose pay scales the rubber workers have traditionally paralleled, negotiated their 1973 contract after Phase III had expired, and pushed their pay scales $1.45 an hour above the U.R.W. rates.

The U.R.W. selected Firestone as its "target company" and demanded a COLA with no "cap," or limit, plus a $ 1.65 hourly raise ($2 for skilled tradesmen) right away. The union also asked for further raises in the second and third contract years and an increase in fringe benefit expenditures from $3.55 to $4.73 per hour. Further, it demanded that workers who do not produce tires be paid no less than tire workers.

Global Boycott. Firestone and the other companies protested that operations producing shoe heels or tennis balls face intense competition from nonunion factories, and could not afford to pay tire-factory wages. The U.R.W. may compromise on this point, but across-the-board raises are another matter. Just before the strike deadline, Firestone increased its wage offer by a dime, to a $1.15 hourly raise over three years, and offered a COLA that would be activated if the Consumer Price Index rose more than seven percentage points in any one year. Peter Bommarito, 60, the U.R.W.'s tireless, white-moustached president, called the offer "insulting."

Bommarito's followers are primed for a long strike. The U.R.W. has called for a worldwide boycott of Firestone products beginning May 1, and the AFL-CIO has extended its endorsement—a gesture it does not make lightly. But since marshaling support for a global boycott can take some time, it is unlikely that a don't-buy-Firestone campaign can have much effect before June.

2NEXT PAGE »PrintEmailReprintsshareLinkedInStumbleUponRedditDiggDel.i.ciousMost Popular »Full List »MOST READMOST EMAILED1.Minnesota Ends Its Budget Crisis, at Heavy Cost
2.Casey Anthony Release: Will She Be in Danger After Prison?
3.A Texas Two-Step: When Rick Perry Backed Al Gore
4.China's New Parochialism
5.Harry Potter: Hail and Farewell to a Hallowed Franchise
6.Coming Out in China: The True Cost of Being Gay in Beijing
7.It All Ends: Tales from the Midnight Screening of Harry Potter
8.From Pariah to the Pinnacle: U.S. Women's Soccer Goalie Hope Solo
9.Milestones: Oct. 3, 1983
10.Tabloid Bites Man
.China's New Parochialism Four Ways to Put Your Stuff in the CloudDriven off the Road by M.B.A.sA Texas Two-Step: When Rick Perry Backed Al GoreWant to Make More than a Banker? Become a Farmer!Casey Anthony Release: Will She Be in Danger After Prison?The End of the LineTime to Ax Public Programs That Don't Yield ResultsSummer Reading: 7 Education Books to Take to the BeachMandela: His 8 Lessons of Leadership.More News from Our PartnersCNN•Welcome to 'Little America'
•Minnesota shutdown to end soon
•California governor signs bill requiring schools to teach gay history
Huffington Post• Carla Bruni Officially Pregnant!
• WATCH: Senior Obama Administration Official Says Government Hasn't Sufficiently Probed Foreclosure Abuses
• U.S. Recognizes Libyan Rebels As Legitimate Government
AOL News•10 Dumbest Sex And Relationship Studies
•Hitler's Joy of Sex: Nazi Leader Reportedly Gave Blow-Up Dolls To Soldiers
•PHOTOS: 'It's Woodstock . . . Minus The Sex, Drugs And Rock 'n Roll'
RottenTomatoes News•Critics Consensus: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II is Certified Fresh
•Total Recall: Harry Potter Movies
•Marvel Movie Madness! Part 29: Elektra
Time.com on DiggUpcomingPopular TodayPOWERED BY digg

More on TIME.com

Stop the Presses?

Read more: LABOR: Rubber's Costly Showdown - TIME