Choosing a Accountant

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Hello all,
We are looking to find an accountant.

In your experience what was the criteria for selection:

- Was the location important in your choice? (out of state or in state, does it matter)
- Certified? CPA?
- Knowledge of trucking?

These are some of the questions that I know to ask. I know that there are many more.

Any direction any of you can give me would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Laura

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I like having a face to face with someone who is handling important business for me. When I was forced to find someone new to handle my taxes I found out through friends in expediting about John Turner. He happens to office about 15 miles from my home. He is on the web at www.truckcpa.com and has a strong background in our industry so he's a good choice for anyone in this business. He got me a refund almost 50% larger than what I'd been able to calculate on my own. I base my choice on other people's experiences coupled with researching on my own. Good luck in your search.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have never met John Turner but after a few conversations with him and also with his son Johnny we where convinced we have an account for as long as we are business owners! It wont take long talking to him or Johnny to relieve all of your fears.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Laura
I have had the same accountant for years and as he would explain there are accountants that are substandard and just pass the test and others who know how to find out the information that is needed to keep you safe.

The funny thing is, I keep hearing that you need someone who knows the industry.

I don't really agree with that idea.

There is more to an accoutant than keeping your books and filing your taxes. I have run across a few 'trucking' accoutants who will not be good advisors, a few who I wonder if they know what end of a calculator you use and even one I read today who clearly said incorporating does not have any advantages at all for anyone in a truck. Many, like some tax preparers are just there to make a buck and don't care.

A good accountant has to be a good advisor, a good business advisor that is. I always made the comment to people who try to pressure me into a sales; I will ask my accountant if this is a good idea, just because I want it may not make it right for my situation and I pay him to answer that question.

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Ok,
This information will get me started.
Bob and Linda, are you in close proximity with John Turner?
I think that I would be more comfortable with someone close by.
I am putting the word out to my family and friends to see if there is someone that might be a good fit for us. Someone we can trust and feel comfortable with.
If you guys can think of anything else to help me out in my search, that would be great!!!
Thanks everyone,
Laura
P.S. What is the average basic rate that Accountants charge? What would their services include??

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We tried the route of having someone close by that said they knew about truck taxes and we did get burned. They did know about truck taxes just not over the road truck taxes and all the great deductions we can take. We will probably never go to Johns office as there is not need. We talk on the phone and we email. I send him our information and he sends us what we need. I know when we talk to him I don't have to explain how per diem works and he tells me yes you can get more per diem for being in Canada over 12 hours. For once an accountant is way a head of me on what our deductions are. I just love it and am very confident in how we are doing business with his office.

We are incorporated and the fee structure is very different and also where you live affects the fees. You would need to check with his office on what the fees would be for your area.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Just courious.

"We are incorporated and the fee structure is very different and also where you live affects the fees."

please explain the fees thing.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The fee for filing our corporate taxes where different then filing our individual and you need to take that into account when planning your expenses for the year. Some states do not have state taxes so this also affects the fees.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would encourage anyone that is self employed to use an accountant. I don't think a trucking specific accountant is necessary, but do find one that specializes in small business. Tax laws continuously change and a reputable accountant will attend classes and seminars throughout the year to keep up with these changes.

Also, should you undergo an audit which results in criminal charges, you will have a cribbage partner. So pick an accountant you don't mind spending time with.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
When my mother in law retires, Frank get ready.

Check him out, he donates time to our industry by offering suggestions.