Cheap Freight

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There was numerous posts around that 1.15 mark in several threads. Some said 1.13 and some said 1.16. I took the average. If your running at 1.91 maybe your in the minority. I don't know since every post with regards to rates has been under that.
Only going by what has been posted recently.
Like they say "don't shoot the messenger"
I think Cowboy answered your question, I seen little reason to ask him the same thing again.
Thought you might remove it prior to him reading it, and then answering it again.

I should add that if you are running at these low numbers regardless of the carrier, it is a place for concern. I think it is of value to someone new to review these current rates prior to a large and expensive investment. That is the low numbers as well as the high ones. That would be of greater service to members rather than whether you are fond of it or only display the higher ones.
I will ask you Phil.....when was the last time you mentioned the numbers of these lower producing loads? My question is already answered.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
cowboyz,

1. Are you running solo or team?

2. With two small kids at home, how often do you go home?

3. You have said you are in a WG-equipped, T-Val equipped truck. Have you been approved by FedEx to haul WG and T-Val freight?

4. Other than here on EO, where else are you seeking help from?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Hey Phil, did you get a good FSC to boot?

While it would be a simple matter to find out what it is, I do not know what the fuel surcharge is on this load, or even if there is a surcharge at all. It does not matter to Diane and me how FedEx slices the surcharge/deadhead/toll/tarriff pie. The end result on this load is $1.91 per mile, gross to the truck, on all deadhead and loaded miles. It's a load worth taking.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Ah yes, the proverbial "package rate" analysis.

Maybe good enough today, but....

Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.

Simple math: Big Truck + Fuel Expenses x Maintenance Costs divided by a lack luster 1st quarter in 2007 = O/O Blues

A new truck requires minimal maintenance at the onset, but as it enters its 3rd year things change; especially when you are footing the bills and not a fleet owner.

babs3361

Expert Expediter
So here is my 2 cents worth....You have to know your cost of operations first and fore most. When you take your cost of operation with driver wage (if you drive the equipment or not) You have to make a profit, or there is no since of being in business. When I have to take money out of my pocket to deliver someone elses freight I have a problem with that. I would rather DH out of that area making no money. Because i have already made enough on the load going into that area to do so than take cheap freight back out. This serves the industry the best in my opinion. We have been with companies that have lost accounts to companys that have undercut rates and when they go out of business, which they will, the company has come back and asked us to do it again for the reduced rate because the last company did, and we tell them and look what happened to them. So they come back paying the money for the service.

RonnieJ

Seasoned Expediter
All of these are very good posts, except for the ATeam. Cheap or reduced rate loads effect us all.

The Ateam asked

how often you go home, how many kids, are you running solo or team, who are you seeking help from.

So our question is, What do these questions have anything to do with being offered a cheap freight rate?
If he has only has one kid instead of two kids, does the price of the load go down?

Ronnie

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>All of these are very good posts, except for the ATeam.
>Cheap or reduced rate loads effect us all.
>
>The Ateam asked
>
>how often you go home, how many kids, are you running solo
>or team, who are you seeking help from.
>
>So our question is, What do these questions have anything to
>do with being offered a cheap freight rate?
>If he has only has one kid instead of two kids, does the
>price of the load go down?
>
>
>Ronnie

If you read post 18, immediately preceding the post you don't understand, you will see that those are all relevant questions. I would ask the same questions in an attempt to offer advice germane to cowboyz situation.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have followed this thread with some interest but being an ex FEDXCC contractor have not posted as I feel unless you are getting these low ball offers you do not have a reason to complain.

What I cannot let go by is this annimosity that A Team(AKA Phil) has torwards the Cowboyz posts. We have a Expediter that has a FAMILY that he likes to see once in a while and the man has done nothing to cause the type of replies that he is getting. So in the interests of decency Phil,why don't you back off for a while.

sixwheeler

Expert Expediter
RichM
Theres several people on this forum that I truly admire and respect and you were just added you to the list.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Maybe it isn't so much the questions ATeam asks, though I'm still scratching my head over the relevance of "where else are you asking for help?", but the interrogatory tone. It doesn't sound as if help is the motive for asking. If I'm wrong, I apologize, but I sense an animosity in the questions, rather than a desire to be of assistance.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>1. Are you running solo or team?
>
>2. With two small kids at home, how often do you go home?
>
>3. You have said you are in a WG-equipped, T-Val equipped
>truck. Have you been approved by FedEx to haul WG and T-Val
>freight?
>
>4. Other than here on EO, where else are you seeking help
>from?

To a sanguine educator these four questions sound clear, lucid, relevant and appropriately phrased. To all other personality types they will have varying degrees of fault depending on the personality type. I find these questions clear, lucid, relevant and appropriately phrased since I'm sanguine educator. I would ask them the same way with no hidden agenda or motive, just a desire to help if possible.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
RichM wrote,

>What I cannot let go by is this annimosity that A Team(AKA
>Phil) has torwards the Cowboyz posts. We have a Expediter
>that has a FAMILY that he likes to see once in a while and
>the man has done nothing to cause the type of replies that
>he is getting. So in the interests of decency Phil,why don't
>you back off for a while.

One of the problems of internet communications is the lack of body language and tone, which makes it easy to misinterpret a writer's meaning and intent. Rich, I'm afraid this is a case where you have done just that.

In case you missed my apology to cowboyz, my promise to go back and re-read his posts with an open mind, and my offer to help him do better as an expediter, you can read it at:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID1/4706.html#7

The questions I asked cowboyz above were not asked with animosity but with compassion. Cowboyz is clearly struggling to find his groove in this business and he is casting about for help. The questions I asked were to obtain additional information about his situation so I can better understand his circumstances and offer whatever coaching he may be open to receiving.

This man is driving a DR unit with FedEx. That is something I have a bit of experience in myself. It troubles me deeply to see him complaining about $1.15 per mile loads when Diane and I are doing much better in a similarly-equipped truck running with the same carrier. It strikes me that the problems reside less with FedEx than with cowboyz expectations, decision making process, and/or knowledge of the FedEx system.

Back off? I think not. Unless cowboyz wants me to give up on him, I'll continue to try to provide the help he is asking for here in the open forum. It would be better if we chatted in private, but cowboyz has not responded to that offer.

I'm not going to try to force anything on cowboyz that he does not want, but since he is rising up in a very public way, a public inquiry about his circumstances is not out of line; especially when the inquiry is well-intentioned and made in good faith, as mine was.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI

The funny thing is how many kids you had or if you had a morgage were never even a consideration.Most truck drivers had kids and a morgage.The only reason I subject myself to this lifestyle is my family and the fact that when I retire my house will be paid for.WAy to much like work to just be doing it for fun.IMHO

cowboyz

Expert Expediter
EASY GUYS, I am not offended by the post ATEAM has put on here, I just been kind of busy, Home with the family! This month has been kind of unusual. As far as my averages. 2 kids, Both born in oct. 12 days apart. what a joy. To answer the question , I spend as much time as I can with them. But on a norm, 5 days a month give or take. More if I have the chance. And as far as TEAM or SOLO, I normaly run team, but the past 2 weeks I put my co-driver on our second truck that im seeking drivers for. No need to keep him at home for kids birthday. So I can't really talk any stats for this month. But monday will be back out there doing what we do as a team. And yes we are WG and T-VAL qualified. And ATEAM I get alot of my information from your former fleet owner, actually I bought one of his trucks, and value his friendship and opinion,advice all that he offers. I was his friend long before I bought a truck from him. I think he has helped me far more than I ever expected. And I also ask alot of questions on the road. The more I talk to diffrent people, The more diffrent the knowledge I receive. So having said all that, Im thankful for you all. NO hard feelings here.
THANKS

TRYING TO KEEP IT SIMPLE
IN A NOT SO SIMPLE WORLD!

blacktiger

Expert Expediter
Sounds like somebody needs to talk to the Fed if they offer 1.15 trips. Counseler sessions with rhe cowboys aint gonna make that trip pay more

George

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Babs you our point exactly!! You have to know YOUR bottom line not what some one else tells you is cheap freight. When we first started we made this mistake and we turned down loads that we shouldn't have. We also turned down loads and then had to dh out of an area for .20 those cheap loads sure looked a lot better after that.