Caterpillar claims C9 unsuitable to task

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Cat wound up paying only 45% and sticking to all sorts of bogus reasons. The mechanic, who's one of the top ones at the SLC dealer, says he'll swear under oath that engine was one of the cleanest and one of the obviously best maintained he'd ever torn down. I've written Cat but no response yet and I doubt they do. Cat now is officially equal to Obama in reputation from my pov.

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey LDB,
What's the rear end gear ratio in the truck? If it's the wrong ratio, your engine could have been at max rpm all these months, redline, and burn your engine right up.
Then that would be the dealer's fault. Because CAT made alot of engines and they all ( knock on wood) didn't fail.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey LDB,
What's the rear end gear ratio in the truck? If it's the wrong ratio, your engine could have been at max rpm all these months, redline, and burn your engine right up.
Then that would be the dealer's fault. Because CAT made alot of engines and they all ( knock on wood) didn't fail.

I don't think the dealer could be held legally responsible for the trucks specs. That's up to the buyer.

That sure is a raw deal Leo. They probably have you at about the right amount of money to make it too much of a hassle to go after them with a lawyer.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think the dealer could be held legally responsible for the trucks specs. That's up to the buyer.

That sure is a raw deal Leo. They probably have you at about the right amount of money to make it too much of a hassle to go after them with a lawyer.

and that right there is part of our problem...not going after these guys because they know in most cases we won't...what we need is start going to court and show these guys some attitude....Maybe we can get TeamC to take up this cause as well, on the premise to make it a better world for our profession?

I am starting to think TeamC means Team of Causes..;)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Sometimes it is better just to get a used truck, with no warantee and put money away for the major stuff.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
"Cat now is officially equal to Obama in reputation from my pov. "

As much as I detest yellow engines am not sure if they are this bad

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
and that right there is part of our problem...not going after these guys because they know in most cases we won't...what we need is start going to court and show these guys some attitude....Maybe we can get TeamC to take up this cause as well, on the premise to make it a better world for our profession?

I am starting to think TeamC means Team of Causes..;)

What happened to team 'C' s truck

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
To the best of my memory that truck runs about 1550 at 60 and about 1700 at 70 so it's geared a little lower than I'd prefer but nowhere near redline. Also, if that were the case then all 6 cylinders should have been similarly bad and it was only the 3 and 6 with the other 4 cylinders showing no abnormality.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Your warranty issues seem to be regional. We had a huey pump go out and wiped out several injectors but had no issues with it getting covered under the warranty. Paying only 45 percent baffles me. We have a 750k warranty and this happened around the 450k mark.

guido4475

Not a Member
My Sterling 9500 with a C9 engine and 294k miles is down with bad cylinders 3 and 6. Caterpillar claims the rings are completely worn out and therefore no warranty coverage even though it has engine warranty to 500k. They claim the C9 engine is not suitable for the application. If that is so why did they classify it as an on highway engine? Why did they sell Sterling however many dozen/scores they sold them for this application? Why are who knows how many trucks doing similar work with even C7 engines? This is a 33k gvw truck, not an 80k semi. Any input on how to get Cat to do the right thing will be appreciated.

Have you called the Caterpillar hotline in Peoria? !-800-447-4986.They did wonders for me when I had my clatterpillar.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I did talk to them and they were no help either. CAT apparently has taken an attitude that since they aren't going to want to sell us another on road engine we can all go to that unpleasant place.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, they are taking a hard line that the 45% they paid is all they will pay. I'm suggesting to them that paying me a little more of it is cheaper than litigation. They say go on and sue them figuring I won't. I'm so p'd off at them I may just find a lawyer and sue them. I need to win that $26x million lotto thing right away so I can afford lawyers good enough to beat them and cost them a ton of money in the process. I know you're not supposed to hate but I hate Caterpillar at this point. They suck.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, they are taking a hard line that the 45% they paid is all they will pay. I'm suggesting to them that paying me a little more of it is cheaper than litigation. They say go on and sue them figuring I won't. I'm so p'd off at them I may just find a lawyer and sue them. I need to win that $26x million lotto thing right away so I can afford lawyers good enough to beat them and cost them a ton of money in the process. I know you're not supposed to hate but I hate Caterpillar at this point. They suck.

Wouldn't the OOIDA lawyers write them a letter to shake them up a bit?

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Leo,
just file against them in Federal District Court, u can do it for a couple hundred bucks, they'll **** because defending a federal suit is very costly, they'll settle. You can probably find a paralegal to help with the forms to file if you dont know how.

Represent Yourself in Court - Law Books, Legal Forms & Software - Nolo

Try this book when the lawsuit gets to discovery mail them 500 pages of interrogatories they,ll settle.

and you wont need a lawyer.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The most successful lawyers will always bury their opponents in paperwork and crazy court deadlines.

moose

Veteran Expediter
LEO :
did you loose the team ?
how long was the truck OOS ?
what did you do to retain the team in the truck ?
what your contract with them say ?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
At least it's not a Hino:eek: I am still having overheating problems with mine, ever since they replaced two sleeves